IGNORED

So if a pro is signed with Nike...

Golfaway
Note: This thread is 5051 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

..for example, does he have to be play everything Nike?
I was watching some of PGAtour.com "In the bag" videos where pros get to show off what equipment they use, and I saw how most of them use Vokey wedges and Scotty putters regardless of what company they are signed with. Anthony Kim for example was carrying a Scotty putter while he is signed with Nike, and I saw on the Masters that Poulter carried Vokey wedges though he is signed with Cobra.
So what's the beef? I thought they were legally obliged to play with equipment built by the manufacturer sponsoring them.
My achievements:
Eagles: 0
Birdies: 18
Best Round: 89

No I'm pretty sure they're not completely restricted to Nike equipment....I think AK also has a Nickent hybrid and Tiger has that Scotty Cameron. I think it could depend on the each contract on an individual basis but I think Nike gives their athletes some leeway in certain clubs they're more comfortable with.

Pros have a choice of what clubs they use. for example, poulter uses a titleist fairway wood i believe, but he uses a cobra headcover. If you think about it, if poulter doesnt get on with a cobra club and performs better with a different brand, he has every right to switch, and its in the interest of cobra if he performs better with another club - the headcover still says cobra!
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

their contract varies... some have 14 club, others 10 club contracts etc.

I've heard the same thing.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Pros have a choice of what clubs they use. for example, poulter uses a titleist fairway wood i believe, but he uses a cobra headcover. If you think about it, if poulter doesnt get on with a cobra club and performs better with a different brand, he has every right to switch, and its in the interest of cobra if he performs better with another club - the headcover still says cobra!

Cobra is a sister company of Titleist under Acushnet. So it would be reasonable that they could, and do, interchange some of the equipment between companies. They way companies are consolidating you will probably see more of this in the future.

I have heard this also. Ping used to be the most strict and the player had to play 13-14 clubs of Ping. Don't know about now, but I think that is how they used to be.

The best thing about Nike would be getting the apparel deal with them. To hell with the equipment, give me the clothes.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I think AK also has a Nickent hybrid and Tiger has that Scotty Cameron.

I watched a video in which he says that now he is using a Nike SQ 3 wood

Pros have a choice of what clubs they use. for example, poulter uses a titleist fairway wood i believe, but he uses a cobra headcover.

Yeah, I saw Tiger when he was walking to the 18th green, I don't remember in what round, he has a Nike headcover in his Scotty Cameron putter.

Greetings!

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

I read this now a couple of times, that players just put headcovers of their sponsors over clubs from different companies/overpainted shafts to make it look like a stock shaft/rebranded irons and so on.

Am i´m the only one who thinks, that this is like going to Burger King and getting a McDonalds burger in a Burger King packaging? Kind of deceiving and fraudulent?

So the uninformed customer sees Phil bombing it out there with his "Diabolo" Driver and of course he needs one of these monsters and goes to the golf shop and buys one the next day - not knowing that under the hood there is a FT-9 instead of a Diabolo?

There are some strange "marketing" techniques out there and i can´t really belive that this is 100% conforming with the law. There has to be some kind of consumer protection against such methods? If not i just starting selling Porsche chassis with Tata Nano engines and interior...

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

yea but cobra is titleist i think because titleist owns that company??

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

So what's the beef? I thought they were legally obliged to play with equipment built by the manufacturer sponsoring them.

They're obligated to play whatever their contract obligates them to play. Most professionals probably wouldn't sign a contract that didn't let them use their favorite putter.

So the uninformed customer sees Phil bombing it out there with his "Diabolo" Driver and of course he needs one of these monsters and goes to the golf shop and buys one the next day - not knowing that under the hood there is a FT-9 instead of a Diabolo?

I think it's fine unless Phil refers to the FT-9 as the Diablo. If it just has the headcover, I don't see the big deal. If someone buys a club based on what club they

think Phil is playing, I'm not about to feel sorry for them. Heck, if you're buying based on what your favorite professional is paid to use , I have to wonder. I mean generic "you" here; I don't think you, kafka01, is buying based on Phil.
There are some strange "marketing" techniques out there and i can´t really belive that this is 100% conforming with the law. There has to be some kind of consumer protection against such methods? If not i just starting selling Porsche chassis with Tata Nano engines and interior...

Well, that depends on whether you claim the engines to be anything else. If I buy a Porsche and put a Tata Nano engine in it, and drive around it in it, and you think it looks cool and go and buy a Porsche with some other engine, that's not really my problem. If I try to sell you a Porsche, and it has that engine in it, then it's a problem, because I've presented it as a Porsche.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On the topic of AK's hybrid, isn't he using a Adams Pro Gold 2H?

he was using the 1h, but not anymore. He is now using a sasquatch 2 3 wood, with a matrix shaft, i believe. He started using it, because he can now hit a 3 wood well, interms of controlling it.

i thought tiger slung a nike prototype cameron ripoff?

Tiger has famously used the same putter for years. And it's definitely a Scotty.

Also regarding Poulter's Cobra/Vokey, they're all owned by Acushnet (which is the reason both Titleist and Cobra hats and visors have the FootJoy FJ logo on the side.)

I threw my clubs into the lake so it's time to start over...

Driver: Great Big Bertha II 10°, Callaway System 60 Firm
Woods: Tour 2400 Plus 3
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H, Adila NV 85 SIrons: X20 4-GWPutter: Studio Select Newport 2

which is the reason both Titleist and Cobra hats and visors have the FootJoy FJ logo on the side.

Many also have PROV1 on the side

R7 SuperQuad 10.5 Aldila nv 65-s
Burner 15 UST proforce V2
Pro Gold Tour Prototype 23 Matrix Ozik
Pro Gold Tour Prototype 18 Matrix Ozik
AP2 5-PW Vokey SM52.08Vokey SM56.10Vokey SM60.04 Studio Style Newport 2

Regarding Nike contracts; has anyone noticed that Tigers wears a sized to fit cap while the other Nike players wear the adjustable kind like us mere mortals?

this is not correct... they have contracts that specifiy how many or which clubs they must use.

exactly.

Cobra is a sister company of Titleist under Acushnet. So it would be reasonable that they could, and do, interchange some of the equipment between companies. They way companies are consolidating you will probably see more of this in the future.

also true... just as Callaway owns Topflite and Ben Hogan and Taylormade owns Maxfli.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Yeah, I think it has a lot to do with they're not going to bind themselves into anything. I think its the most prevalent with putters. Golfers are very picky when it comes to them. I know I am. I'm sure there can be a clause written that allows a golfer to choose a club or two from another manufacturer to play.

Look at the guys on Ping staff. Ping doesn't make balls, they have to play someone's. There's cross-branding all over the place on tours. That's what I like about Callaway, they've got a wide variety of very nice products. When the day comes where I can play at that level its nice to know everything comes from one place, one R&D; department.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Note: This thread is 5051 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!