IGNORED

Critique my driver swing (video)

Note: This thread is 5517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Playing around with my new camera and decided to take a shot of my driver swing.
I have a slight tilt back at the top I'm trying to get rid of, and it looks like I'm releasing my hands early.
Be gentle.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

Pretty good looking swing there guy. What do you usually shoot for 18 holes?

Thanks. Haven't broken 100 yet :-/

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

I will like to see a Down the line video. A bit off-topic.... what camera is that? I would like to record my swing at a lower speed. xD

Greetings!

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

Im no swing coach but it looks like your coming out of your spine angle in your back swing

in my bag
hibore xls 9.5* S flex
sumo2 sasquatch 3 wood 15*
a2os 3 hybrid
sc2 4-pw mpt raw haze 52* 588 56* wedge xtour PM grind 60* cleveland classic #2

No, ryan, you're right, there's a bit of extra movement there in the backswing. Instead of rolling that right knee back, prop up on that leg, like you were on a pitcher's mound against the stop. Tends to make that turn a bit tighter. Good lookin swing though, very athletic.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

looks good to me..(smoother than mine) but i hit it longer and straighter with more consistancy than most people I play. It comes down to squaring the clubface once you got good smooth mechanics. maybe keep your head down more. looks like you come up with the ball, but that could be because its just a practice swing.

In my Bag:

Tour Burner 9.5* ProLaunch Red Shaft
Baffler TWS & DWS Hybrids: 2,4
Irons: 09 Burners 4-AWWC Liquid Copper SW 56*WC Liquid Copper LW 60*Putter: Black OZ T130 TP Black

I will like to see a Down the line video. A bit off-topic.... what camera is that? I would like to record my swing at a lower speed. xD

Sony HDR-XR500V. It does 1080i HD and it's also a 12MP camera.

No, ryan, you're right, there's a bit of extra movement there in the backswing. Instead of rolling that right knee back, prop up on that leg, like you were on a pitcher's mound against the stop. Tends to make that turn a bit tighter. Good lookin swing though, very athletic.

You know...you're right. I thought I was bracing it, but apparently I'm not. This camera is paying it's self off already

Actually, I was a pitcher when I was a teenager. (*fondly remembers his 1 hitter shutout....*) Had a mid 80's fastball when I was 15. But I digress. I have bouts with ADD and sometime...sweet, a chicken! Where were we?

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

I will like to see a Down the line video....

I'll take one tomorrow. I was going to do it today also, but I spent so much time trying to figure out how to get this one off the camera and on the net.

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

So what do you mean? I'm trying to understand. During his downswing he leans too far back throwing off the spine angle?

Driver - Taylor Made 09 Burner.
3 Wood - Callaway Diablo.
Hybrid Irons - Adams A30S
Wedges - 52* Titleist Vokey Spin Milled. 56*, 60* Taylormade Rac.
Putter - Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1.

You have a very strong right hand. I naturally do as well. Im actually in the middle of a series of lessons with my pro trying to neutralize my right hand a bit (getting it a little more on top of the club) Its the hardest and weirdest thing in the planet to do; but my suggestion is you should work on getting the "V" formed by your right thumb and forefinger to point a little more closer to your chin (in between your chin and right shoulder) Start now so it isnt harder later on down the road. Strong right hand will lend itself to snap hooking the ball. It would also be better to see a shot of you actually hitting a ball, because little things come out in your swing when theres all of a sudden a ball in the equation.

EDIT: Maybe you dont, its hard to tell because the video is so small. It seems like it though. How do I view it bigger? If your right hand "V" is pointing in between your chin and right shoulder, disregard everything above.

In my bag:

R9
Burner 3w
Burner 5w Burner Plus 4I-SW 60* LW, 52* GW Rossa Spider putter

Strong right hand will lend itself to snap hooking the ball.

You aren't the guy I was playing with yesterday are you? lol

I've always been a chronic slicer. Never could get rid of the banana ball. The recent changes I've made to the swing have gotten rid of that almost entirely. But yesterday my miss was a bad hook OB. A hook has NEVER been a problem of mine, but yesterday it was almost all I had. Thanks for the input.

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Nope not me! Thats because when you have a strong right hand and actually RELEASE, theres nothing else that can happen except a snap hook. I was as well an EPIC slicer, so I shifted my right hand drastically. While this is a quick fix, as you start to get better, that snap hook will rear its ugly head, and you'll be hard pressed to fix that grip at that point. Its best to just nip it in the bud right now, and address the issue in your swing rather than the grip. Im right in the middle of the grip change now. It sucks.

In my bag:

R9
Burner 3w
Burner 5w Burner Plus 4I-SW 60* LW, 52* GW Rossa Spider putter

Nope not me!

Yeah. I used to sport a 3 knuckle strong grip trying to compensate for my slice. It muted the slice to a point, but never fixed it. Now that I've addressed the swing path problem that was the root cause I'm trying to use a more neutral grip (ala Ben Hogan's Five Lessons) with both v's pointing at my right eye.

But sometimes if I don't keep myself in check my strong grip try's to take over.

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Ok.. I'm not a pro but you asked for observations and critiques so I'll give them. I see a lot of good things in your swing. You have a very good tempo and you seem balance. I think the main thing I see is when you shift your weight back you seem to shift it too far back and break that back knee. Your hands are then naturally rushing through. That could be why your slicing and have had to resort to such a strong grip to compensate. I'd like to see your swing from another angle but I'd definately go ask a pro. You've got to good a swing tempo not to be shooting atleast mid 80s

Clubs:
Driver: Ping Rapture 10.5 degree, Stiff Flex shaft
Fairway Wood: Ping Rapture 17* - Stiff Shaft
Hybrids: Callaway Heaven Wood 20* Firm Flex
Irons: Titleist 704 CB (Forged) (4-PW), Dynamic Gold S300 ShaftsWedges: Titleist Vokey 52 and 58 degreePutter: Odessy White Hot XG Model #1Bag: Ping HooferBa...

i'd like to see some videos of you actually hitting a ball and a down the line video.

to fix the snap hooking i'd say go to the range and imagine hitting on a base ball field. hitting one ball left field, right, and center field. do this until you can feel where the club face is.

i'd like to see some videos of you actually hitting a ball and a down the line video.

I'm going to try to get some of actual hits as soon as I can get out to the range. Maybe tomorrow if the rain holds off. I'll take some down the line and iron shots too.

When you guys see my iron play you'll see why I can't break 100, lol.

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

For accuracy, it helps to make your driver swing not quite as long. It looks like your arms get a little past parallel, which is pretty long (john daly like). If you have accuracy problems then I reccomend making it a tad bit shorter. You can still get the same amount of distance, you just need to use all your core rotation.

Note: This thread is 5517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!