IGNORED

Teeing up with a Fairway Wood......

Note: This thread is 5496 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It depends.
If I'm trying to hit a stinger, like on the 8th and 10th hole of my home course, I tee it lower.
If I'm trying to hit it over trees like on 2 of my home course, I tee it higher.
It all depends for me.

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

I would tee it up in my normal stance maybe two ball behind my front heel, but if I want to keep the ball lower I will tee the ball three to four balls behind my front heel.

I usually don't hit my 3 wood off the tee box because I hit my driver. Have you tried choking up on your driver for better control instead of hitting your 3 wood? you can choke up anywhere from 3 to 4 inches below the end of the driver shaft and sometime almost to the shaft and take pretend you are hitting your 3 wood and you might have good results. The head of your driver will be more forgiving than your 3 wood and by choking down you have given yourself the same shaft length or sometime shorter than your 3 wood.

I even hit my driver choked up near the shaft on par 3 into the wind with a punch shot for control with my regular swing with good results, who knows next thing you might consider hitting your driver off the fairway.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

• Administrator
Why would you want to manipulate your swing? OH I don't know, to know where it's going?

You clearly have a different definition of the phrase "manipulate." Fourputt clearly meant "Why would I want to swing differently than I do every other time I use my 3W?"

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

First of all I don't top shots. Secondly, "any" pro will not say something like that just because yours may do so. A lot depends on what type of 3W you're using. Does it have deep or shallow face? High or low CG? Offset or not? What is your normal swing and ball flight?

Yet you always talk like your way is the only way. Interesting. Im obviously wasting my time on you because you think you know it all.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

You clearly have a different definition of the phrase "manipulate." Fourputt clearly meant "Why would I want to swing differently than I do every other time I use my 3W?"

I think its fun working the ball around not just hitting the ball straight every time. I take pride in knowing where my fade/draw is going to end.

Driver: TaylorMade R9 TP 9.5* Diamana WhiteBoard Stiff
Wood: Titleist 904F 15* Diamana WhiteBoard Stiff
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler Pro 20* Fuijikura Speeder Stiff
Irons: Titleist 710 AP2 4-PW True Temper DG X100
Wedges: Srixon WG-504 52*, CG 12 Chrome 58*, Callaway X Forged 64*

Putter: Nike Unitized 35"

• Administrator
I think its fun working the ball around not just hitting the ball straight every time. I take pride in knowing where my fade/draw is going to end.

Right, and that's not what he meant when he said "manipulate" (in reference to his swing).

Yet you always talk like your way is the only way. Interesting. Im obviously wasting my time on you because you think you know it all.

No, I don't think so. If anyone's guilty of talking as if their way (or their pro's way) is the only way, it's been you here. After all, "any pro will tell you" (that you're doing it wrong) is what you typed.

Fourputt talked about what works for him. You told him he tops shots. Pretty clear-cut to me. Knock it off.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

First hole of the day today was a dogleg left with a bunker guarding anything hammered straight through the 90....long fades aren't good here.

I put a smooth swing on my 3 wood and the ball landed softly just ahead of the 150 marker....well through the dogleg.

Unless the tee is way back or the wind up, I'll keep hitting 3 Wood here.

As for tees....I've been gaming the TPS blue banded tees. These set up well for my driver. For this 3 wood shot and all the par 3s....I searched around the first tee and found some broke off short tees to use....essentially duplicating a perfect lie.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Sorry about the failed post earlier, I blame the Berry ....

One size doesn't fit all here, good players tee it low and high. Probably due to a fore/aft balance issue, I have a tendency to hit fountains with a high tee whereas I don't ever seem to chunk with a low one. So I tee with 1/2 ball showing. But I like the higher trajectory with a higher tee - maybe later.

Maybe I'm too "flat-footed" and will try more pressure on balls of feet to resist getting pulled forward/down, i.e. more dynamic tension.

Until I have more control with driver, 3 out of 4 tee shot are with the 3W.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

I never tee the ball any higher than 1/4 inch with my fairway woods. I've never measured, but typically I push the tee all the way into the ground with the ball until my finger knuckles are sandwiched with the ground and the ball. Hope thats a good enough visual, lol.

As for ball placement - it depends but normally 3w goes a little closer to center than driver (off left heel), 5w a little more closer.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

• Administrator
One size doesn't fit all here, good players tee it low and high.

That said, I'm not sure I've ever seen the

best players (PGA Tour players) play it anything but "darn near on the ground" (or slightly higher than their teed iron shots).

You're probably right. Often they hardly tee up a 3W at all, almost off the deck. Me, I need a bit more help than that.
On the fairway, my 3W is often better left in the bag at the moment..

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Why would you want to manipulate your swing? OH I don't know, to know where it's going?

My bad for not checking in till now.

Yes I can hit a cut and a draw of the tee with a 3w and Driver, but it damn sure has nothing to do with the tee height. It's an open or closed stance for me...nothing more.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Yea, it seems very foreign to me when the pros don't tee up their woods on the tee box and often take a small divot with their swing. Anytime I take a divot with a 3w or 5w it typically has a negative effect on the overall shot.

Hey guys thanks for all the feedback, alot of different opinions here. I guess it comes down to being "golf" as there is not just one correct swing & are many differnt styles on tour.
In any event I went to the range this past weekend & was working with hitting my woods. I decided not too tee them up at all & just hit them off the deck. This was the 1st time I have ever really practiced like this but had some excellent results. Never hit my woods so solid before. Followed up by playing 9 holes the next day, I teed off with 3wood, teeing it real low & had good results. I guess for me thats whats going to for now work teeing it low. Just hoping I can keep it going. Thanks again for all the insight..

My bad for not checking in till now.

you have to change your swing if the ball is higher or lower than normal...

I could be wrong, maybe I misunderstood the sky marks on my club from teeing it too high in my first few rounds. You're right. Swing is the same every time.

Driver: TaylorMade R9 TP 9.5* Diamana WhiteBoard Stiff
Wood: Titleist 904F 15* Diamana WhiteBoard Stiff
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler Pro 20* Fuijikura Speeder Stiff
Irons: Titleist 710 AP2 4-PW True Temper DG X100
Wedges: Srixon WG-504 52*, CG 12 Chrome 58*, Callaway X Forged 64*

Putter: Nike Unitized 35"

• 2 weeks later...
you have to change your swing if the ball is higher or lower than normal...

I don't have idiot marks on my 3 wood, and thanks for the negative rep points "moron"...seems to be a common response from a troll as yourself.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Note: This thread is 5496 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!