IGNORED

What is your Game Importance?

TomDonS
Note: This thread is 5504 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Whats the most important facet of your game?

• Drive 4 Show
    • Putt 4 Dough
    • Iron Play
    • Short game is where it's at

I want to get a poll to see how people look at the importance of certain facets of the game. Whats the most important in your eyes?

:taylormade: R9 9.5d with Fujikura Motore 65 Stiff
ss-07 13deg 3 wood Graphite Design Purple Ice 85-S
Md-17 1i/4w UST V2 Tour Hybrid X
A3 Pro 20 Tour Prototype Mitsubishi Javln X
MP 57 4,5,6 Project X 6.5 MP 67 7,8,9 Project X 6.5 Vokey 200 series 48d Project X satin 6.5/ Vokey 09SMTC 54.11...

Short game here too, which for me includes the putter. I can usually get near most greens in regulation, but it's what I do from that point on that determines the quality of my round.

Today my short game was on, with 8 one putts, a zero putt, and the rest 2 putts for 26 total. I only hit 5 greens in regulation but still shot a 7 over par 79.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have about a 12 handicap. If it wasn't for chipping and putting it would be 20+.

What's in my bag (most of the time)

Exotics 12°, Aldila VS Proto 65S
Exotics CB1 4W, 16.5°, Fujikura Stiff
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23°, 26º Hybrids, Proforce V2 Stiff Acer XP905 Pro 6-PW, Dynalite Gold S300Inazone CNC Spin Satin GW 50°/8°, SW 54°/14°, LW 58°/4°Boccieri...

I have always emphasized the importance of the short game but very often we overlook the importance of the driver. It's very hard to make part (almost impossible to make birdie) when you are in the lumberyard.

2004 State Drive, Chip and Putt Champion
2005 Northern Iowa Player Of The Year
2006 Iowa Girl's Golf 2A Individual State Champion
2007 Iowa Co-Ed Golf State Champion
2007 State Drive, Chip and Putt Champion2008 Iowa Girl's Golf 2A Individual State Champion2009 College Division Iowa Junior Tour...

I went with iron play. It helps to just stay out of trouble in the 1st place and having 3-4 footers for birdie, I would imagine. Correct answer is putting though.

Constantine

The reality is it is ALL important...

Good drives build confidence... and good luck saving par when you are constantly hooking or slicing the ball into the woods or what have you.

Iron game is important because most approaches will be hit with irons... don't hit them well and you'll have less looks at birdies and always be struggling to save par.

A solid short game helps for those occassions when irons miss or when you hit a long drive or 2nd into a par 5. w/o a solid short game you'll give strokes back with every mistake.

Putting is obviously important since it is 26-40 shots per round, being 10 ft for bird all day does no good if you can't sink a couple, or if you constantly 3-jack.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Well the no brainer answer is easy,the short game,but I personally think it's the second shot from the fairway with the mid irons.Fluff that approach or lay up and I don't care if you are Seve with the wedge and Tiger with the putter you ain't going to shoot pars and bogies on the round it's doubles for you.

This is the problem with the stock answer of short game,you got to hang flesh off a skeleton not the other way around.You can't hit up and downs or nail the green from 100 yds if you have wasted strokes getting there,you will still shoot higher scores which is why it slightly irritates me that high handicaps suffer because they are apparently not good at the short game,it's much more deeper than that.You can lose strokes in every facet of the game,therefore ranking them in importance makes no sense to me.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

For me, I have to get off to a good start, that means driving the ball. That being said if anyone would ask me how to lower thier score, I would say improve you short game If I spray the ball all over the course off the tee no matter how good my short game is that day, chances are I will not score well.

My short game is usually pretty stelar, so getting a decent drive, hitting my next shot around the green and letting my short game take over, that is when I play well and usually score well.

They say you can't birdie all 18 holes if you don't birdie the first one, well, I can't get to my short game if I don't get off the tee.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Id rather be a great putter than a good ballstriker. Im hitting the ball better than i have in a couple of years right now, but my putting probably costs me 2 to 4 strokes a round. I three putted 4 times the last time i went out. Its frustrating.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

It's a no brainer. Short game. It's a proven fact that no matter what your ability level, somewhere between 55% and 65% of your score is shots inside 125 yards. You do the math. If you shoot 90, figure on at least 45 (but probably more) of those shots to be wedges, chips and putts. Just keep track the next time you play and you'll see for yourself.

Driving is important, but on courses with 4 par threes you'll hit no more than 14 drives. Without a short game you won't break 80. Good players spend most of their practice time with wedges, chipping and putting. It's important not to neglect the driver, but if you split your practice time accordingly you will develop a good short game and your scores will go down.

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

I've got to agree with Big_M........I just can't pick one any more.

A stroke is a stroke. If I lose a stroke because I miss a fairway, hit an indifferent iron shot, or miss a putt, it's still an extra stroke on the scorecard. The best drive does me no good if I can't putt, and being able to drain everything I look at does me no good if I can't get to the green in regulation in the first place. If I want to improve from where I am now, I just can't afford to focus on a single aspect of my game more than any other.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

For a lot of guys it will be short game and putting, but for me, its driving. If I hit 10+ fairways, Ill shoot in the 70's everytime, gauranteed, but if I am spraying off the tee, who knows how many trees or OB stakes Im going to find. My Iron play will get me on the green from 200 yards and closer in 85% of the time, so a 2-putt for par is pretty easy, or a 10-15 yard up and down is all too easy. But 180 out behind two trees to an uphill green with two bunkers short right and left, good luck saving par with a good "short game"

Whats in the bag?
909 D3 8.5* UST Mamiya Tour Green X
909 F3 13* UST ATTAS X
909 F3 18* UST ATTAS X
909 H 21* DG S300 735cm chrome 5-PW DG S300 54.08 SM 58.04 SM 64.07 SM Studio Select Newport 2 Sonic Blue Dot...

Honestly with the level my driving is at, its going to have to be driving. When I'm on with my drives I'll shoot good. I'm normally pretty consistent with my short game, so when Im out in no mans land with my drive its hard to score well.

In my Extreme Sport Stand Bag
Driver: 4DX D-Spec Driver 10.5* Stiff UST SR3
3W: F-60 15* Regular Fujikura E150 Fit-On
Hybrids: 4DX Ironwoods 20* 23* Regular UST SR3
Irons: 4DX CB 5-PW Stiff True Temper ST-90Wedges: Vokey 50* 56*Putter: SabertoothBall: DT Roll

Many instructors in the past have stated that the 3 most important clubs in the bag are the driver, wedge and putter. Harvey Penick used to say a good putter is a match for anybody, and I tend to agree.

I've played plenty of rounds where I've hit 16 or 17 greens and shot 74 because of poor putting. Conversely, my two best scores ever had me hitting only 11 and 13 greens, respectively. Driving is important in terms of putting the ball in play, but only accounts for ~20% of your score if you are a scratch golfer, and that percentage goes down as your handicap goes up. Obviously if you hit the ball OB or in the woods every time you are going to struggle.

How many times have you hit a bad drive, crappy iron shot, sculled a chip and drained a 30 footer for par, or hit two fantastic, solid shots and jacked up the 3 footer, only to settle for par? Either way a par is a par.

I love it when I see my competitors hitting driver all day at the range. I know when it comes to crunch time and the pressure is on that 4 footer is going to get longer and longer...

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

I've got to agree with Big_M........I just can't pick one any more.

Despite what I said... all being of equal importance...

I can practice very little and still drive the ball well I need to practice a little more to keep the iron game sharp Short game requires the most work to stay real sharp I would say my most beneficial practice regimen would be 70% putting, chipping, and bunker play; and 30% irons and driving.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I went with iron play, mostly because I had to cast a vote to see the results of the poll. In actual fact, it's hard to say which facet is the most important. Everyone knows a good short game is important. Mine's pretty good. Probably the weakest part of my game right now is the Driver. I hit it good and straight but not very long (a really great drive for me is about 220). Consequently I need a really good iron game to get me in scoring range. I don't hit very many greens in regulation because my driver tends to leave me short.

Now, if I could improve my driver distance so that I was averaging, let's say, 250, that would change things a good bit. I am working on that and my driver distance is improving gradually but, at age 51 I doubt if I'll ever be a long ball hitter off the tee. I do just fine on Par 5's and the shorter par 4's. It's the long par 4's that get me. Thankfully, the lessons I'm taking are improving my iron game dramatically and I'm really starting to see a big difference on the score card. Even if I can't reach a long par 4 in 2 I'm able to lay up to wedge distance and my short game's good enough to where I can usually get up and down for at least a bogey on those holes. Many times I can pitch it close enough for a 1 putt par.

The trouble is, I'm still putting a lot of pressure on my short game. In other words, a good drive is good for more than just show. When I hit one of my good drives that goes 220+ I have a much better chance of hitting the green with a mid iron than I would if I had to try and reach it with a long iron or a fairway wood. If my drive comes up short the smart play is to lay up with a mid iron and then try to chip it up close.

Oh well, the point of all this rambling is that you need to be strong in all facets of the game if you really want to play well. A good short game won't do you much good if it takes you 2 or 3 strokes to get into wedge range.

In the Bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher Ultralight XL 270

FW: Taylor Made 300 17 degree 
3-PW: Mizuno MX-23

AW: Mizuno TP-T11 52/07 (Bent to 50)
SW: Mizuno TP-T11 56/10

LW: Mizuno TP-T11 60/05

Putter: Original Ping Zing

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour

Short game here too, which for me includes the putter. I can usually get near most greens in regulation, but it's what I do from that point on that determines the quality of my round.

Short game doesn't include putting in this poll. As it has it's own category.

:taylormade: R9 9.5d with Fujikura Motore 65 Stiff
ss-07 13deg 3 wood Graphite Design Purple Ice 85-S
Md-17 1i/4w UST V2 Tour Hybrid X
A3 Pro 20 Tour Prototype Mitsubishi Javln X
MP 57 4,5,6 Project X 6.5 MP 67 7,8,9 Project X 6.5 Vokey 200 series 48d Project X satin 6.5/ Vokey 09SMTC 54.11...

Note: This thread is 5504 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!