IGNORED

Tee Height

iacas
Note: This thread is 5820 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How high do you tee a ball for your driver (relative to driver resting on ground)?

• Bottom of the ball at the top of the clubface
    • Center of the ball at the top of the clubface
    • Top of the ball at the top of the clubface
    • Center of the ball at the center of the clubface

I picked the bottom of the ball at the top of the clubface... judging from the results, maybe that's why I hate teeing off with my driver!

Perhaps I will try the "center of the ball/top of clubface", since that seems to be the winner thus far!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tee it pretty low, maybe three-quarters of an inch of the tee is actually above the ground. I drill it about 250, and I've drove 300 yard greens in one before.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Very low...the ball makes impact at the bottom part of the face. However, I find I still get great height with TM SQR7 just by how I finish (high).

I buy the shortest tees possible...maybe 2 1/4" or 2 3/4".

Da Bag:

TM Super Quad R7 (w/Stulz stiff shaft)
TM CGB R7 4-PW (steel)
Cleveland Halo 1i, 3i, 5i (steel)Cleveland CG10 SW, GWHeavy Putter A1MTitliest ProV1xTitliest Tour BagClub Glove head coversFootjoy Classic Dry Premier

I play standard length (2-1/4?) wood tees, most of which were found on the course. I haven't bought a tee in at least 15 years. I tee the ball low, with no more than 1/4 of the ball above the top of the clubhead.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I probably tee my balls higher than most people. I like to hit my drives pretty high, so I usually tee it with the middle of the ball a bit above the top of the clubface. I only tee it lower if there is a strong headwind or there aren't many places I could roll into and find trouble.

Fore!

I recently got fitted for new driver (Ping G5) and the pro advised me to tee it high (half ball above club head) as that is where the sweet spot on the club was. He should know what he is talking, as he previously fitted Mickelson for clubs. I am a drawer off the ball but when i want to cut it, the advise is too tee it low. Certainly seems to work.

Advice, if buying new clubs....get fitted by your club pro. It makes a hell of difference if you get clubs that fit you.

G5 Driver
G2 3 & 5 Wood
i5 3 - PW Irons
52 tour wedge
56 tour wedge Putter Pro VI ball bag

• Administrator
I recently got fitted for new driver (Ping G5) and the pro advised me to tee it high (half ball above club head) as that is where the sweet spot on the club was.

The sweet spot is pretty much dead in the center of the face on every driver. It's just that most amateurs (and pros) like to catch the ball above center because it launches higher with less spin.

He should know what he is talking, as he previously fitted Mickelson for clubs.

Unless the guy is talking about Carl Mickelson the used car salesman, I've gotta call B.S. on this one. Phil Mickelson is fit by a staff of guys - as are most top-50-ranked players - that make a few million dollars per year. C'mon now... you're pulling our leg or he was pulling yours, eh?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I had been teeing it pretty high, almost the entire ball aboe the face, until recently. My 905 gets the ball up even faster than my 983 did. I have since lowered it to just over half the ball above the face. This has helped to prevent the balooning I was getting and I have picked up some yardage as well. I still hit it very high and get little roll. I will joke that I am one of the few people that can back up their driver. I have had many tee shots land and actually bounce back from the pitch mark. If only I could make my wedges stop like that all the time.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

The sweet spot is pretty much dead in the center of the face on every driver. It's just that most amateurs (and pros) like to catch the ball above center because it launches higher with less spin.

I said

"previously" fitted Mickelson. (And we all know how wild he is/was off the tee, before he went to Butch). All clubs have different sweet spots. On the G5 it is high nearer the crown, hence the higher tee position.

G5 Driver
G2 3 & 5 Wood
i5 3 - PW Irons
52 tour wedge

• Administrator
I said

Yeah, when? 1988? He turned pro in 1992 and was hailed as "the next great one" even before that. I can virtually assure you the guy who fit you did not fit Phil Mickelson within the past decade. Regardless, if you believe him, so be it. I won't say another peep about it.

All clubs have different sweet spots. On the G5 it is high nearer the crown, hence the higher tee position.

No, it's not. It's really pretty much just barely above the center of the clubface for most drivers. I'm defining "the sweet spot" as the exact point where the center of gravity passes through the clubface (at the angle of the clubface). The center of gravity is of course an infinitely small point in 3D space somewhere in the clubhead.

Here's some information for you. It's a tad outdated, but since it's still got the G5 on it, it suits the discussion: P.S. The balancing points pretty much nail the sweet spot, since the center of gravity has to be directly above that small balancing "pin" in order for the clubhead to, you know, balance.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

many thanks for that.

This is my first night on the golf forum and it has been very interesting.

As for the Mickelson fitting angle. it certainly makes a great selling point. Bottom line though is that the club he fitted me for works great. Although it might also be due to the 8 lessons and the several thousand balls i hit over the winter break.

G5 Driver
G2 3 & 5 Wood
i5 3 - PW Irons
52 tour wedge

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
i think there is another key point that noone is mentioned. while teeing it higher improves launch angle and should improve distance for a better golfer, it also significantly increases the margin for error (especially for less experienced golfers).

I've seen a ton of guys which handicaps around 20 who often will sky the ball off the tee because as they are moving the bottom of their swing up when they play the ball further up in their stance. for inexperience golfers, i think on average they will have a much greater margin for error when teed high.

What's in the bag:

Driver: Adams 9064LS (project RIP Shaft) 9.5 degree
3 Wood: Titleist 909R 14.5 degree
Hybrid 3-iron: 19 degree Tour Professional (bent to 18 degrees)Hybrid 4-iron: 21 degree Tour ProfessionalIrons: Tour X-20 5-PW Project X 6.0 shaftsGap Wedge: Mizuno MP10 52.08 Sand Wedge: Mizuno MP10 58.10 Lob Wedge: Nike 62.06

• 2 months later...
i tee my ball pretty low low center id have to say.......reason....i changed my driver...then i changed my swing...with my old swing id hit a low ball but with my new swing hitting a 10 degree driver would just make me sky rocket the ball and get literally no roll so now i tee it lower and sorta flip over my wrists

Driver: HS9 F 10° w/ Speeder 553 shaft
Fairway wood: X 3 wood 15°
Irons: 695MB 3-PW
Wedges: Spin milled oil can 56°
Wedges: Vokey oil can 52°Putter: Newport 2 (had 2.5 selling it now pm if u want)Ball: Pro V1 (5,6,7,8)

I tee it up high and catch it on my upswing. I like hitting it high unless the wind is in my face.
play4him

Driver: Titleist 905R
3-Wood: Titleist 904F
Hybrid: Titleist 585 19 DegreeIrons: TitleistWedges (PW,Gap,SW,Lob): TitleistPutter: Bettinardi C04

I play it with my driver in the middle of the club face. That's just how I learned and I just kept doing it that way.

Driver: G2
3 Wood: Launcher
Irons: FoundersWedges: Putter: Tru TechBall: The Longest NoodleBag: Grom If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up. ~Tommy...

Note: This thread is 5820 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!