IGNORED

Project X vs. KBS

Note: This thread is 4015 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was ready to get a set of new Project X shafts into my irons when my friend (a pro golfer) told me about KBS shafts which are apparently the new craze on tour. So now I want to look into them and see what they are all about before i go buy.
Here's the deal, I already know I like the Project Xs so is it even worth me researching? Is there anyone out there with first hand info on any advantage on either side

My Bag 
Driver:         905R 9.5* Dyamana Whiteboard

3W:            909F2 15.5* Diamana Blueboard

Utility:          Idea Pro Black 18*

Irons 3-PW: 690MB Project X 6.0

Wedges:     Vokey Spin Milled 50*/Vokey Spin Milled 58*

Putter:        Studio Select Newport 1.5

if you just want to use what is most popular on tour you shouldn't even be considering Project X... they aren't all that popular... the vast majority play DG. Regardless, why base what you play on what others use... hit clubs w/ different shafts and see what YOU like.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I have hit the KBS Tours in a set of the new Adams Idea Pro Black irons. I play the Dynamic Gold X100 shafts and the ones in the Adams were a stiff I think. To me the KBS shafts seemed to launch the ball very high. I felt a noticeable kick at impact, so I'm assuming it was because the shafts were just too soft for my swing.

If you like the Project X shafts I would stick with them. They are a great shaft and you can't go wrong. What you could do is find a matching 5 iron for your set used on ebay and throw a KBS in there to test them side by side with your current set. The PGA guys get their clubs for free, but for us it gets a bit pricey to change shafts on a whim...

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

thanks jorruss, yea i think that "kick" you feel is undesireable for me. I have a stiff V2 in my hybrid and i hate it because i feel that kick that you are describing.

p.s. Big M ^^ I would appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth considering not once did I say I wanted either shaft because the cool tour players were using them. If that were the case I'd be playing nike woods

My Bag 

I remember Phil M went from Proj X to KBS and back to Proj X this year. Anyway know why he took the KBS shafts out besides that he was playing poorly at the time?

Being an equipment junkie, I'd like to try KBS's out if they are similar to DG's, but if they play similar to Proj X's, I know they are not for me.

In my SX76 StaDry
Woods: G15 9.0° BB Stiff, G10 14°
Hybrids: i15 20°, Rapture 24°
Irons: AP2 5-PW
Wedges: SM Vokey 51°, 56°, 60° Putter: Circa '62 No. 2 (Gun Metal Blue) Ball: ProV1

I gamed a set in some scratch SB-1's for a round..

spin- much more than the proj X
distance- i gained right on ten yards..freaky (no i wasnt just hitting pure shots that day)
the whip? yes it was there, but it was a powerful feeling, not at all like swinging a regular flex shaft wheny ou should be swinging a stiff.

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to roll with the Projext Xs. After I go through my insomniatic binge for finals this weekend I will begin my 2009 summer golf season

My Bag 

• 3 years later...

I work for a major club company as a demo rep ..The KBS do launch high ,but the  KBS c-taper 130 launches lower with lower spin ..I like Nippon shafts (lite) before you go to graphite ...They now have a wedge shaft  ,

i just had the kbs tour shafts put on my clubs because when i got fitted they did perform better than the old dg's i had on my set, but again that is from personal experience and your should be determined by trying them out yourself. Whats good for me can be the worst for you.

Here is a comparison chart from more than a year ago which compares KBS and PX shafts, among others.

Basically, Project X is a half-step stiffer (see FCM)  than KBS shafts with same flex rating. FCM stands for Frequency Cycle Matching, a metric used to compare shaft stiffness across different OEMs (because there's no industry standard on R or S flex).

The two shafts also have slightly different trajectory patterns (how quickly the ball rises, flattens during flight). Also, KBS lists a shaft balance point , rather than a kickpoint or bendpoint. Check out the two web sites for details.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

WU tiger :

The number don't lie ..Do you happen to have a list of shafts and manufactures spec which compare different shafts as to stiffness  ,because as stated all companies stiff are not the same .

I was surprised that KBS was so soft compared to PX ,as a rule KBS tour series launch high . I like Nippon as being lite and responsive ...Do you think DG is the most popular steel and most used by amateurs ?   Thanks Rich

Try them all and pick whichever you prefer. I've been playing Project X for a long time, but after trying Dynamic Gold X100 in my recent iron fitting, I'm changing. It felt so much better during the downswing. You can't really look at specs to find the right shaft, you have to try them out and find one that match your swing, ball flight etc.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

If you are interested in that type of information the 2013 Shaft Fitting Addendum to The Modern Guide To Shaft Fitting is a decent place to start.

Originally Posted by skigolf33

WU tiger :

The number don't lie ..Do you happen to have a list of shafts and manufactures spec which compare different shafts as to stiffness  ,because as stated all companies stiff are not the same .

I was surprised that KBS was so soft compared to PX ,as a rule KBS tour series launch high . I like Nippon as being lite and responsive ...Do you think DG is the most popular steel and most used by amateurs ?   Thanks Rich

Mike

Originally Posted by Zeph

... You can't really look at specs to find the right shaft, you have to try them out and find one that match your swing, ball flight etc.

As Zeph says, you have to try the shafts out before you select one. But, the specs can get you near where you need to be.

If you have a driver clubhead speed of 82 MPH, and hit your 7 iron 135 yds. with DG R300 shafts, you don't want to waste time on Project X 6.0 - medium heavy and very stiff. There are dozens of models of steel shafts out there, and it would take you forever to try them all.

Driver speed + 7.iron can help you narrow it down to a half-dozen shaft types. Then, if you have unusual swing characteristics on the Trackman, the clubfitter can suggest options.

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I have KBS Tour shafts on my irons from when I got them fitted. But I've been thinking about trying some other options as they do hit pretty high. I have hit PX before and the heft was noticeable, which I did not like.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

Originally Posted by soloredd

I have KBS Tour shafts on my irons from when I got them fitted. But I've been thinking about trying some other options as they do hit pretty high. I have hit PX before and the heft was noticeable, which I did not like.

Went to a Golf Galaxy demo day at my home course on Saturday. (A side "advantage:" It was like a free trip to Scotland, misting rain all afternoon).

Anyway, I got to hit the Callaway XHot irons in a Speedstep 85 gr. shaft, and the X.Hot Tours in a PX 95  shaft.

The PX 5.0 95 Flighted shaft is similar to the PX 5.0 rifle flighted I have in my X20 Tours. But, 95-gram is lighter, and the club seemed to "jump" through the ball more consistently than with my X20s.

The PX 95 weight 101 grams raw, but trims out on average at about 95 grams. This plays about 10 to 12 grams lighter than the old PX shafts I now have.

The PX 95 Flighted  has flexes in 5.0 through 6.5. (In flighted shafts, the longer irons have a lower kickpoint to help get the ball launched better, and the short irons a higher kickpoint to prevent ballooning.)

Note: This thread is 4015 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!