IGNORED

most overrated clubs/brands? most underrated?

Note: This thread is 4540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by ggolokin

scotty cameron putters: great putters no doubt.. $400 price tag? 20+ handicappers using this putter?

possibly the most ridiculous statement in this thread. should only an 8.4 handicap be allowed to play them? If anything you should be proud of a higher handicapper that realizes putting is the first step to lowering one's HC

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by meenman

possibly the most ridiculous statement in this thread. should only an 8.4 handicap be allowed to play them? If anything you should be proud of a higher handicapper that realizes putting is the first step to lowering one's HC

i may have come off wrong, what i meant was people with higher handicaps are falling into the trap of buying the most expensive putter before they even realise how much better / if the putter is better...

Originally Posted by ggolokin

i may have come off wrong, what i meant was people with higher handicaps are falling into the trap of buying the most expensive putter before they even realise how much better / if the putter is better...

I guess we live in different worlds - I am one of the very few people that carry one at my club (high or low HC.) What I actually see more of is everyone needing the newest driver every year.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Interesting to see how many times names like TM, Titleist & Callaway come up as overrated. All major manufacturers these days build high quality stuff - more a matter of personal preference whether or not the equipment works for you. I think this is more about expectations - these companies have huge marketing budgets and try to convince us that we can improve massively in terms of power, distance and accuracy due to their latest innovation when this simply is not the case for the vast majority of golfers. I think that the hype they create around their clubs & technology (I like TM stuff generally, but I can't figure out how a white putter or driver Is going to help my game) is coming back to haunt some of them.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

I think it is a bit tough to say Callaway or Titleist are "overrated." I can see with TM because the add a weight on top of weights and just say that is one more weight you can adjust, but really if you think about it, Callaway isn't selling their stuff on the "adjustability" hype that TM and Titleist and just about everybody else are. The Razr hawk has no adjustability like the R11, 910D or VR. Anybody that has hit it knows it is money, I think that it comes down to who makes the best product for your style of play. For me Callaway performs the best, and I absolutely hate the TM stuff. But for others the may feel the exact reverse, which is the beauty of having multiple manufactures. And if you don't like the clubs somebody buys, then shut your mouth and drink a beer and don't worry about it!

The worst day of golf beats the best day of work!

Scotty Cameron is "Overrated" simply because people put them on a pedistal. People treat Scotty Cameron as some sort of putter god and, Scotty cameron is sort of the BMW of the putter world.

Really good solid product, well built highly functional very good looking, and with a major cultesque following. However just like with BMW you can get a putter that is just as good looking, just as well made and just as functional and people wont fawn over it because it doesn't say Cameron on it somewhere.

I drive the cheapest BMW ever made but people still are like Oh wow you have a beamer? Even though mine is about the most modest BMW ever made, has a ugly interior and is only a 4 cylender, it has the BMW medalion on it so its impressive right? People do the same thing for Scotty Camerons now.

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

I think callaway is the most overrated one, like 10 years ago they where the top brand making the best and most forgiving products out there,

i think the clubs are to expensive, think they are still the most expensive ones out there. And i think the performance of their clubs are just not as good,

as the top brands now ( titleist and taylormade ).

As for underrated brands.

i think Wilson staff, i use the FG Tour balls and they are realy good. They perform as well as the Penta's and the Pro V1 only half the money.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Originally Posted by tomvk77

I think callaway is the most overrated one, like 10 years ago they where the top brand making the best and most forgiving products out there,

i think the clubs are to expensive, think they are still the most expensive ones out there. And i think the performance of their clubs are just not as good,

as the top brands now ( titleist and taylormade ).

As for underrated brands.

i think Wilson staff, i use the FG Tour balls and they are realy good. They perform as well as the Penta's and the Pro V1 only half the money.

Funny thing is, about 10 years ago I wouldn't have played Callaway if your life depended on it. They've only recently started to make some players irons that aren't super ugly. They're still sort of ugly, and probably always will be, but when I see a staff bag full of callaway now (e.g. Ernie) I don't feel like vomiting.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Funny thing is, about 10 years ago I wouldn't have played Callaway if your life depended on it. They've only recently started to make some players irons that aren't super ugly. They're still sort of ugly, and probably always will be, but when I see a staff bag full of callaway now (e.g. Ernie) I don't feel like vomiting.

If Callaway is ugly. Ping is inbred.

• Upvote 2

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by Kieran123

If Callaway is ugly. Ping is inbred.

PINGs and Callaways remind me of Geena Davis. From a certain angle they're okay, then they turn slightly and there's a spine tingling shudder.

• Upvote 4

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I have a Callaway driver and I really like it.  I have also gotten pretty solid results from Callaway golf balls.

I don't get why clubs are coined "Game Improvement" , so does that mean all other clubs are "Game Unimprovement?"

As far as Over Rated I would say Titleist golf balls.  I'm sure they are a high quality ball, but 45 dollars a dozen?  So many players think that this ball is the fix, when it really isn't.

On a side note I Hate wilson Pro staff golf balls.  I'd rather hit a rock (might be a little softer).

Reminds me of arguments I'd have with friends about car manufacturers.   Typically it comes down to any product someone doesn't use is over rated, and any product that someone does use is under rated.   The expectations are set by the marketing divisions of these businesses, so by those standards they are all over rated.

IMHO Callaway irons, Taylor Made woods, Scotty putters and Cleveland wedges are over rated and Mizuno irons, Titleist woods, Callaway wedges and Nike putters are under rated.  It's hard to say Titleist balls are over rated when they seem to win most head to head competitions and so many pro's use them regardless of their corporate sponsor.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by johnclayton1982

Could you explain this?  I am quite happy with my X-20 irons.  Why can't you stand me?

Don't worry about it, some people are so pathetic that they run out of things to dislike people for so they resort to things they have, in our case, callaway clubs.

To johnclayton1982 I'm very sorry that you resort to not liking people because they don't have the same setup as you. GET A LIFE!

The worst day of golf beats the best day of work!

I have a bag full of the most overrated clubs, which I've now learned makes me a hated golfer.

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Originally Posted by Gresh24

I have a bag full of the most overrated clubs, which I've now learned makes me a hated golfer.

Nobody really cares enough to "hate" you.

Originally Posted by Gresh24

actually when i see a guy with latest titleist woods, hybrids, irons, vokeys, camerons.. i automatically assume they must be good

Note: This thread is 4540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!