IGNORED

slicing my tee off left, help!

Note: This thread is 5486 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you have an issue with me posting "noob" questions just don’t post back. I don’t care for your negative feed back, nor will it effect me, i will wait patiently for someone to reply with something helpful.

Hey post all you want, these people complaining and moaning are just idiots.

As for advice: Have you tried completing your swing and holding the finishing position for a good few seconds with all your weight on your left leg? Have you checked your alignment?

I am big headed and i love it. Try it yourself and see how much your game improves.

"The difference between impossible and the possible lies in a persons determination" - Tommy Lasorda
"It is never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot
In my bag:Ball: I always use Pro V1Driver: ...

I'm confused - what do you mean by '...left bad right'? Are you a righty or lefty? I'm assuming you meant to say it slices to the left which means you're a lefty. Unless you're getting your terminology wrong? - you could really be hitting hooks.

I am a lefty who hooks it left, i am sorry if i was confusing in my first post. I will give this a shot and see if it helps, thanks for the advice.

Hey post all you want, these people complaining and moaning are just idiots.

Now that you say it i can honestly say i dont think i do, maybe i am taking away to fast after i hit the ball, thanks for the advice.

Now that you say it i can honestly say i dont think i do, maybe i am taking away to fast after i hit the ball, thanks for the advice.

Wait... Your a Lefty so your weight needs to be on your right leg when you finish and hold the swing for a few seconds.

A large reason for hitting shots all over the place is usually due to balance, If you have your balance and you hold the finish there is not a great deal that can go wrong. You could be trying to hit the ball too hard. Nice gentle swing and hold the finish.

I am big headed and i love it. Try it yourself and see how much your game improves.

"The difference between impossible and the possible lies in a persons determination" - Tommy Lasorda
"It is never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot
In my bag:Ball: I always use Pro V1Driver: ...

I am a lefty who hooks it left, i am sorry if i was confusing in my first post. I will give this a shot and see if it helps, thanks for the advice.

Just an FYI (for lefties):

-a slice starts right and ends up way left -a hook starts left and ends up way right

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

Just an FYI (for lefties):

ok so i was right i am slicing, thanks for clearing it up.

at wolf: I have been doing some hard thinking and your right i am prob trying to hit the ball to hard and not coming out clean when i hit it. I have allot of things to practice tonight, i will keep you updated.

I understand allot of people have posted their feelings on me posting this, saying that i have not read enough and blah blah blah. The fact is everyone’s problem is a little different, and i thought it was worth me posting my situation in a separate thread to be more specific on how i swing and what could have led to me having this issue.

Slicing the ball is THE most common beginner problem a golfer can have. Why it occurs is a combination of many different flaws, but when you boil it down for all the high-handicappers, it is an over-the-top swing and leaving the clubface open at impact. Now, the reason I told you to read more is simply because there was this EXACT THREAD something like two or three spots below your thread. You completely didn't see it, or else you would have read that thread and then posted your question there. By starting a new thread, it showed me that you didn't read any other posts, meaning I'm working with someone who won't be able to understand the answers he is given yet.

When a low handicapper tells you to "swing smoother" or to "hold the finish" and stuff like that, it may help you on maybe four or five swings during a range session. You may feel like you're making progress, but you probably aren't. You need to build a foundation for your golf swing that is based on the fundamentals, and then you can go from there. It's funny, a low handicapper like William le Wolf may be a great player, but what low handicappers like him don't understand anymore is what it was like to be a beginner golfer. A low-handicapper's swing, or even that of a 15 handicapper, is going to be light years ahead of a beginner's swing in so many different ways: Setup, alignment, the takeaway, the initial turn, restricting the hips, not getting quick at the top, coming from the inside, clubhead lag, the proper grip pressure and where the Vs should be pointing, releasing those hips so they point toward your target in the end, and a nice follow-through. Because you do not have a basis of understanding for these basic topics, a swing related answer that can be actually useful to you is non-existent. You have played golf three times. Now, it is easy to kid yourself that "swinging softer" or "having a nice finish" will cure your slice to the point where you are hitting it straighter and longer. That simply just isn't the case. You need to learn golf-speak, learn about the basics of the swing, and do so by either reading golf books or getting a lesson. These tips you have been given may only cure you on one or two swings out of a 100. So my "negative feedback" was anything but. The fact that you completely misunderstood my post shows me that you really have no idea what you're doing, since you'd rather rely on sound bite information from guys who don't understand the plight of the adult beginner golfer. Simply put, there are many, many, many beginner golfers on this forum. What separates them from you is that they have the respect to read threads and other sources of informations concerning golf before ever posting questions- and it is within these questions that illustrate their level of play and where they are coming from. You are slicing it off after only 40-50 yards. Swinging smoother and holding the finish isn't going to do a thing for you. You even said in your inital post "I don't know what I'm doing wrong." That is an enormously telling statement to the rest of us simply because a horrible slice like that is the tell-tale swing of a beginner. The answer is known by golfers of all levels below a 35 handicap. You need to be able to walk before you can run. Put the driver away and just learn the basics of the game with a short iron. Like I said initially: Look into golf books, check out this forum's reading room, and get golf lessons. Youtube is a great free place to start for that. Lastly, you need to understand that we have all been there. No one picks up a club and is a genius with it right from the word go. If you want to really accelerate your learning curve, you must get a lesson. If you do not get a lesson, then you must pick up a golf book. Either way, you need to understand why the golf ball is doing what it's doing. Until you do, improvement is impossible- unless you happen to be a young kid who is great at imitation with incredible flexibility. I have no idea how old you are. You may be 12 years old for all I know. And if you perceive this post as "negative," then I guess I really can not help you.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

...I'm working with someone who won't be able to understand the answers he is given yet.

I understand the undertone of what you're saying, but it sure sounds kinda harsh especially coming from a 19 handicap that's only been playing for 11 months.

Berating a "noob" looses a lot of credibility when you then go and advertise that you're a noob yourself.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

IMO, I'm giving advice that can actually improve his golf game at the most accelerated way possible. And yes, I am for sure a noob myself. I agree with that.

Constantine

In no way was I trying to get into a pissing match with people about ones knowledge about the game, I am a beginner and as such I ask questions related to my problems. I was simply putting that everyone has different problems to address and having people answer my questions helps. I don’t know what I was doing wrong and because of my personal situation I thought it was possibly (and I still find it rightfully so) that my problem is different. I read a allot, but I admit that practical application through actual play is the only way to correct it, so when someone replies to me about my problem I can look at my swing and take into account what everyone else has said. I would like to thank all of you for your support, your helping me, and I appreciate it.

Don’t take it personal if you were not trying to thrash on me, if you were, then go ahead and take it how it sounds because then you might be the person hindering those who’s feelings would get hurt over your post. Mine wasn’t and I take all the advice you gave me in stride. Telling someone to go read when they are not sure what their problem might be in the first place is like telling someone to learn to swim by reading, they can only read so much before they either get in the pool and A. Drowned (quit playing in golf terms) or B. Ask someone because they don’t know what their problem is and describing it through a post might help break down the issue so someone can help them keep afloat.

Last but not least I really enjoy these forums because it helps us just getting into the game not feel overwhelmed and take a dip in the golf pool before going head in. Communities like this allow us to browse at our own leisure and take in information not found in most books, experiences that others have had and over all contribute to our love for the game. I am becoming more and more in love with the game of golf, but when someone like me, confused as I am, asks questions, instead of getting jumped on or told to go do a broad thing like “read more” maybe take into account that they are testing the waters. Diving head first isn’t the only approach, especially if they don’t want to drowned.

Grip, setup / alignment are the crucial fundamentals to a sound golf swing.
Those often get overlooked by beginners.. and as well, mid handicappers..and mid-high cappers such as myself.

I'm just now getting to the point where I'm hitting close to 50% of my fairways with my driver. Pay attention to your grip. I'm willing to wager its setup as a "weak" grip. How many knuckles can you see on your right hand, when you look down at your grip at setup?

Ball position is also key. The driver should hit the ball just as the driver is making its way upward on the ball. If you hit with any sort of a descending blow with the driver, bad things will happen. For the driver, the ball should generally be in the area inside of your leading foot/heel. If its back further, the clubhead at that impact point will be open.. Longer clubs = ball position further up in stance.. shorter clubs = ball position back toward the middle of stance.

Get a lesson, if you can.
Pick up "Ben Hogan's - Five Lessons".

Now, don't get me wrong.. nobody will be able to copy Ben Hogan's swing.. but there is alot of good stuff in his book.

If you want a quick fix that you can slowly change over time for a slice, you could try this. make sure your alignment is right, ball is an inch off the inside of your right foot, club face square to target. Then, after aligned in every way possible correctly, take your left foot, and move it back 3 inches...this will allow your front shoulder to follow the path to your target correctly (as of now yo'ure outside in, or your face is opening because your stiff on your front side)...once you start hitting it straighter (suggest at a range to start)...you can slowly start creeping your left foot back to the correct alignment. for a short fix, moving your left foot back at address will HELP the slice, over time moving it back to the correct alignment will CURE the slice...(if you teach your body the right mechanics)...

that being said, lessons cure most issues.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

I wasn't trying to trash anyone. I was just pissed someone double posted a "help cure my slice thread" which I guess is standard around here.

I apologize for coming off as arrogant.

Constantine

Note: This thread is 5486 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!