IGNORED

What should I bring?

shermanM4A1
Note: This thread is 5499 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm new to golf, and I want to go and play a few games at local golf courses.

In general, aside from balls and clubs, what are some things that you usually bring to the golf course?

Also, are there certain things (other than clearly illegal items) that one should avoid bringing?

Thanks.

In my bag:

R540 Driver
Stan Thompson "Ginty" 5 wood
Burner LCG 3-PW, SW, LW putter (mallet) and golf balls

I'm new to golf, and I want to go and play a few games at local golf courses.

Water - I bring at least 88oz (32x2 + 24), but then again, I use a pushcart, so it's easy to carry this.

A snack of some sort. I take two bananas and a Clif bar (cheap at Trader Joe's, and they don't melt). A sharpie. This should go along with golf balls. In case you need a provisional or if someone else in your group is playing the same make and model. I mark mine regardless.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Bring: Sunscreen, bugspray and a good hat.

Don't bring: Cell phone or pager.

-E

In my Grom bag:

Driver........... Burner 9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood......... Burner 15* S-Flex
5-Wood......... Ovation 18* S-FlexIrons............. Pro Combos 3,5-PW Rifle 6.0Wedges......... CG12 52.10, 56.14, 60.10Putter............ 33" VP1 Milled PutterBall................ e6+ or B330-SRangefinder.....

are you going with someone who has played before? i would say thats the most important thing, and watch them and learn about appropriate behavior on the course as well as keeping up the pace.

and dont forget to have fun!

Colin P.

Don't forget your A game...

Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to...

Nike Sasquatch 460 10.5 degree driver Diamana shaft
MP-57 3-pw DG R300 shafts
MX700 Hybrid Cleveland CG14 50 degree wedge Nike SV 56 degree wedgeReid Lockhart 56 degree sandwedge (plays like a 60 degree, hence the two 56 degree wedges) Odyssey...

How about in terms of golf accessories?

I saw a "divot repair tool", gloves, golf shoes, club headcovers, tees and a "golf umbrella" at my local golf store. Of those, which ones are actually necessary for playing golf?

In my bag:

R540 Driver
Stan Thompson "Ginty" 5 wood
Burner LCG 3-PW, SW, LW putter (mallet) and golf balls

How about in terms of golf accessories?

None are really necessary, ball mark repair tools, you can use a tee to repair ball marks on greens, golf gloves and shoes aren't necessary, though, they can help. I like wearing a golf glove, helps me hold the club lighter, shoes help too, but runners would work just fine. Headcovers are nice for woods or putters, but they usually come with the clubs. Umbrella you won't need if you know how to use the weather network, and wear rain gear if it's going to rain, its just water.

Tees you'll want.
In My Bag:

Driver: G10 9* w/ Aldila NV 65.5
3 Wood: Firesole Bubble Shaft
5 Wood: Firesole Bubble Shaft3-PW: Burner LCGWedges: Goliath 52* and 56*Putter: Callie Forged

1) be respectful to the other players
2) after 3 over any hole you might consider picking up your ball.
3) let the other players that you are new to the game and willing to learn golf rules on the course
4) don't stand on the other players putting line or just behind the players while they are hitting the golf shots or putts.
5) don't talk when the other players are about the play hit or putt their ball
6) relax and have fun and smile and have a good attitude

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

make sure u bring a ball marker. i've been guilty of having to run over to the cart and grab a ball marker outta my bag because i forgot to put one in my pocket before i started the round.
In my Datrek Cart Bag (soon to be replaced):

Driver: Lynx 2008 Predator Ti (10.5*, Regular Flex)
Woods: Walter Hagen AWS (3 Wood)
Hybrids: Walter Hagen MS2 Hybrids w/ graphite shafts (18*, 22*)Irons: Walter Hagen MS2 Irons w/ graphite shaftsWedges: 56* Taylor Made rac w/ steel shaft ; 52* Slazenger...

1) be respectful to the other players

This is the best advise you've gotten so far.....

As for shoes, some courses may require that you wear spiked shoes. Most course only allow soft spike, which is what everyone sells anyway. Most courses will not allow you to play in jeans or jean shorts, nor t-shirts. Make sure that you wear some sort of polo shirt and cargo shorts, but make sure that they are not too baggy as some folks frown on that (BS if you ask me!!). As for accessories, I have found that a good towel or two are certainly needed, especially if you an early round where there is still moiture on the course. Buy a couple of tees of differernt sizes...you'll figure out wich size works for you. Ball markers for the green...but coins will do. Just make sure you maintain hydrated (there are bathrooms on the course should you need to go), eat some kind of energy bars or bananas (clif's bars are really good). wear a hat, and use sunscreen. One accessory that I added recently was had sanitizer (waterless kind), this actually comes in handy just to clean your hands...especially if you have to apply sun screen on during the round. One thing also is to concious of the time you spend on the link....try not to slow people down to much. If you want to play until you sink every putt, then you may want to let the group behind you go by.... Ok I think that's it!
It's the indian, not the arrow! But it sure is nice to have good arrows!!!!!

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

Sorry in advance for shouting but pet peeve here -

BRING A BALL MARK REPAIR TOOL!!!

Learn how to use it correctly as well - Check out This Video for a correct fix procedure.

Even if you don't leave many yourself (I don't leave many good ones each round but I'm getting better) you can still be part of the solution to the problem. My home course greens would be at least 15% "nicer" if people did this all the time and the right way. I fix any I can get to without affecting the pace of play...

Have fun.
In the bag:
905R 9.5° - UST ProForce V2 65R
909F2 15.5° Titleist Diamana 75
909H 19° Titleist Diamana 80
Zing 2 3-PW Vokey SM48.08 @ 51° Vokey SM56.11 Unitized Leo

1. copy of The Rules of Golf (read the etiquette section first)
2. ball repair tool
3. golf towel
4. tees, as mentioned above more than one size
5. sunscreen
6. some kind of club brush

in the bag...

Driver: MX560
3W/5W: Tight Lies
3i-pw: Pi-7gw/sw: Tom Watsonputter: Bulls Eye bag: Ozoneball: / home: Lake of the Woods @ www.golfthelake.com

I bring:

Ball mark tool
Two towels (one for hands and grips, one for clubheads)
Tees
Shoes
Glove
Hat
Sunglasses
Beer

I actually always keep a rain jacket in my bag, because in the winter and early spring it can be a handy extra layer against the cold and in the summer I'm too lazy to take it out. If it's going to rain, I'll bring an umbrella.

To whomever was talking about it being "only water" in the rain: the point of the umbrella is to keep your bag and, more importantly, grips dry. Most covers end up saturated, and it's just handy to keep the active rain off of your gear while pulling and replacing clubs or taking a shot.

I threw my clubs into the lake so it's time to start over...

Driver: Great Big Bertha II 10°, Callaway System 60 Firm
Woods: Tour 2400 Plus 3
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H, Adila NV 85 SIrons: X20 4-GWPutter: Studio Select Newport 2

Many great tips here.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes regarding rules, etiquette, swing, etc. Nobody's perfect. As long as you explain to your playing partners that you are new to the game and willing to learn they should be sincere to any mistakes that you may make.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Bring: Sunscreen, bugspray and a good hat.

Disagree. Bring your cell phone- just turn it off. You never know when an emergency will occur on the course and you'll wish you had it.

Constantine

I bring:

Use a towel to wipe down the grips, get a rain hood for your bag. Water is a part of the game. I don't understand what you're saying, do you hold the umbrella over your clubs, that seems a little impractical.

In My Bag:

Driver: G10 9* w/ Aldila NV 65.5
3 Wood: Firesole Bubble Shaft
5 Wood: Firesole Bubble Shaft3-PW: Burner LCGWedges: Goliath 52* and 56*Putter: Callie Forged

Note: This thread is 5499 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!