IGNORED

Golf lessons are unnatural!

TheWarHound
Note: This thread is 5495 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't think there is much point in jotting down notes since practice and actually taking the swing is far better. It has to come naturally rather than following a diagram etc.

How are/did you decide how often to take lessons? You say you had a 3 hour lesson.... that's pretty long imo. Do you think you're better off taking a large amount of lessons in a short time frame.... practice for a while and then maybe come back a while later... OR the same amount of lessons equally spaced over time (ever other week or so sort of thing)?

About 10 months ago, believe it or not, I was playing on the golf team for my middle school, and the junior tour over the summer. I never shot below 100. My handicap was around a 20-30 at the time. I started working on my swing a little more, trying to take the game seriously. I decided I needed some lessons, and went to the cool instructor at the course (he works with everybody thats on the high school golf team, and we're 2nd in the county. YOUR GOING DOWN BARON.) Since then, I'm mad if I shoot in the low 80's. My average is about a 78-79. Our lessons are every wednesday, and sunday at $10 an hour for 2 hours. He usually works with about 4-5 people in one session. These lessons have helped so much with my game! but there's still some things to be worked out..... http://http://thesandtrap.com/forum/...ad.php?t=23445 . but other then that, lessons are the greatest thing that you can do for your game. The pro's know what they're talking about. If you need to keep a notebook of what you've learned, then go ahead. But make sure you practice what you wrote down, and don't just sit there and read it. Good luck improving your game!

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

Why would you waste time in the lesson to write notes? I think that is pretty silly. In the lesson concentrate on the feeling of the proper form then after maybe jot down some notes for a reference to come back to.

Driver - SQ SUMO2 9.5 stiff
3 Wood - SQ SUMO2 15* stiff
Hybrid SQ SUMO2 20* stiff
Irons - CCi steel stiff
Wedge - 56*Wedge - Knight 60*Putter - ITraxBall - platinum+Black but soon to be switching to pr0v1 SG 2.5

I haven't wrote anything down yet . . . grip and swing and opening and closing face and rolling your wrists right is something I have just been practicing since the lessons. Girlfriend is pissed because when I practice swinging in the house, I scare the puppy and bang shit with my irons.

But, I agree, lessons are the best thing for golf since the perimeter-weighted club.

Steve

In my Cart Bag:
Driver: R7 Draw 9*
3W: Ovation 15*
Hybrid Halo 19* 2H, Halo 22* 3H
Irons: i/3 O-Size 4-PWSW: Vokey SM 56*Putter: Anser

• Administrator
I don't think there is much point in jotting down notes since practice and actually taking the swing is far better. It has to come naturally rather than following a diagram etc.

While that's true in theory, it really doesn't apply in reality. Notes aren't always or perhaps even often just "diagrams."

I was working on my takeaway. I knew what position I had to get into when the club shaft was parallel to the ground, but I didn't know what sort of swing thought or "feeling" would work best for me. I first wrote down a general description of where I wanted to get to (so I didn't forget, and no, the odds aren't high but how stupid would I feel if I did forget?), then I tried some "feelings": "Right hand to right pocket" - failed "Butt end of grip to right pocket" - failed "Right hand turns club down" - failed "Left hand pushes club away" - failed "Left shoulder pushes club away" - worked for me By documenting not only what works but what fails, I can go back to it. If another teacher (or the same teacher) tells me to put my right hand to my right pocket, I'll know that he's telling me probably the same thing as the other things listed above, and that the last one will work best for me. I think everyone opposed to writing things down doesn't have a clue what they should be writing down. I'm a bit more of a feel player, so I don't write down diagrams - I write down "feelings" that just so happen to get me into good positions.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I know its two completely different worlds, but I raced motocross for 11 years before I quit a few years ago and raced the pro class for the last 3 years before I threw in the towel. So much relied on technique and how you rode the bike rather than just holding it wide open everywhere. I taught kids and put on riding schools and after you showed a kid how to ride correctly and use the right techniques, you could see an improvement much faster than from anything else.

The same concept applies to golf. Get someone who knows what they are doing to show you how to play.

I am planning on finding somebody to get some lessons from, but there aren't too many PGA pros around Mississippi. Although we do have 1 of the 2 (I believe that is correct) PGM (Pro Golf Management) majors here at Mississippi State University, so our course is always full of knowledgable players.

In my Nexos Bag

Burner Driver 9.5*
Burner fairway 3 wood
755 Irons Tri Spec S Shafts 585 19* Hybrid w/ Aldilia NV S Shaft 3DX 23* Hybrid Tour 58* wedge CG 12 56* Wedge NCX-Ray Alpha Putter

While that's true in theory, it really doesn't apply in reality. Notes aren't always or perhaps even often just "diagrams."

ALSO writing what thoughts fail to help..... seriously genius. Most helpful advice I've seen in a while.

And thanks for the reply right handed phil... I finally found a pretty cool guy and talked to him about lessons last week. Reading that, I'll definitely give him a call this week to see when he can work me in.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

very well said.

I have also found out that writing down in my notebook every shot, from what distance, and where it went has been a HUGE help. i feel more confident on every shot because i know i have done it before. Not just in my mind telling myself that, but on my notebook i have. Trust me, my pro told me to get a notebook, i have. its helped greatly.

Getting a Pro is a must when you 1st start to Golf. He/She needs to teach you the fundamentals and the Physics part of the game.

People says practice make perfect , but wrong methods will become permanent damage. LOL !
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

People says practice make perfect , but wrong methods will become permanent damage. LOL !

You must add one word for it to be true.

"Perfect practice make perfect"

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5495 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!