IGNORED

"Secrets of the Short Game" by Phil Mickelson

iacas
Note: This thread is 3477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Discuss "Secrets of the Short Game" (the DVD) by Phil Mickelson here.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I'm really curious about concerning this dvd is whether the instructional value comes for the average player that doesnt carry a 64* wedge. Also, are his comments on putting useful for the average player as well? Does he explain how he reads greens or what he's looking for? I'm excited to hear the reviews! Thanks.

In my Navy Hoofer:
Driver: Titleist 909D2 9.5* UST ProForce V2 X-stiff
3W: 904F 15* DG X100
Hybrid: X-Hybrid 3i Fujikura Banzai Stiff
Irons: MP-57 X200 3-PW

Wedges: Gauge Design Handmade 54* and 60*

Putter: SSB LKG Custom "Masters Edition"

Ball: Penta, Pro-v1x

Other: Pinseeker 1500 Tournament

What I'm really curious about concerning this dvd is whether the instructional value comes for the average player that doesnt carry a 64* wedge. Also, are his comments on putting useful for the average player as well? Does he explain how he reads greens or what he's looking for? I'm excited to hear the reviews! Thanks.

I would too would love to hear more about this. I have learned to enjoy practicing with my wedges and am always looking for new shots to work on.

Got the dvd set the other week. In short, great stuff and worth every dime. The putting part was very helpful to me personally. For wedges, forget the 64 and all that. There is a great section on the lob shot, but it is just a small percentage of the videos. Not the emphasis by any means. He lays down some great info on wedge play. The videos are divided into putting, chipping, pitch/lob, and bunker play. I found something useful in all sections. They are not cheap dvds, but luckily, they are not made cheaply either. First rate all the way. Pick them up, I am sure you will be happy with them. Got mine on Amazon, should be some reviews in there by now with additional insights.

It's really well done. He uses a 60* wedge on the dvd for most of the shots but the principle is the same regardless of which club you are using.

Yes, the putting section is quite useful also. I highly recommend this dvd. Chipping is a real weakness of mine which is why I bought the dvd. I'm still flubbing some out on the course but I'm sticking to his technique and I have hit some nice chips and pitches... I just need to gain consistency now and more touch in close. While I consider myself pretty decent with the putter, I have adjusted my stance and have incorporated his training techniques.
Driver :Adams Speedline 9032LS 10.5*
Woods:Wilson Staff FYbrid 3W
Hybrids:Wilson Staff FYbrid (wood/hybrid gap)
Hybrids:Ben Hogan Edge CFT 3H & 4H
Irons:King Cobra S9 5I-PWSand Wedge:Cleveland CG12-58*Putter:Ping Redwood AnserBall:Nike Karma/Topflite GamerFavourite Gizmo:Club Caddy

• 3 weeks later...
I ordered it and havent got them yet. I had a short game school last weekend that was fantastic and helped alot. I think the pro is going to put some video up from the clinic.

Can anyone compare this video with the UTley book?

I don't buy any instruction stuff but I am going to get this. And the 64 wedge is great and a very useful tool. It doesn't fly much higher than the 60 but man does it spin. I hope my wife gets me this for father's day. I am very curious about the chipping because it isn't the way I do it.

Brian

• 3 weeks later...
Is this going to be hard to learn from if I'm a right handed player?

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

I think I would like to read this as well.

I had an eye appointment back in April, while in the waiting room I picked up a golf digest and happened to open it up to a page where Phil was giving a little chipping lesson. I've been following his chipping advice this year and have been chipping better than ever. The man knows his short game.

• 3 weeks later...
For anyone interested, onlinedvdmarket has this for 29.99

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Just got this and watched it. I really liked the putting part. Don't agree about the eyes but like the idea of going towards the target. Chipping totally different than anything else I have heard. Really liked it for pitching but I do not know how you could use the method and only carry it a yard or a yard and half.

Overall, very good. Surprised he didn't talk about hitting wedges from 50 or 75 yards.

Brian

I bought this DVD about a month ago from Barnes and Noble online for $30 shipped. I'm not sure if they're still offering it for that price, but I thought it was a good deal.

I found his chipping technique useful. It took me a couple of weeks to get used to it, but I find that I'm more consistent with my 30-50 yard shots now. Let me qualify that with I was never a confident chipper prior to the instruction. I think he presents a simple technique that can be adapted to many situations and playing styles.
Overall, I found the DVD to be worth the $30.

Pros: putting exercises, chipping technique and applications
Cons: bunker play, product placements
905R 10.5* - Speeder (S) ::: 909F2 15.5* - VooDoo (S) ::: 909H 19* - VooDoo (S) ::: Vokey Spin Milled 52.08, 56.11 & 60.07
MX-25 4-P - Dynamic Gold (S300)
Studio Style Newport 2 - 33/350
Pro V1Tour V2

I really like his chipping techniques as well and I picked them up quickly. I haven't tried any longer shots but with this feel, it should be a problem. I like his putting routine too...thinking of the numbers you use in your practice session can really take the pressure off a 3 foot putt. Good stuff. I think it was worth it.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

i just bought this on ebay for $7CDN shipped, brand new sealed
dude only had 10 copies left....can't wait to get it
my wedge play is ok, but always looking to improve it...putting as well
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

I bought this DVD about a month ago from Barnes and Noble online for $30 shipped. I'm not sure if they're still offering it for that price, but I thought it was a good deal.

Just wondering, how is his bunker play, a con?!? It really helped me. Unless you mean he doesn't give enough information, which I think he gave the right amount. I believe people focus to much on the details when hitting a bunker shot.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

Just wondering, how is his bunker play, a con?!? It really helped me. Unless you mean he doesn't give enough information, which I think he gave the right amount. I believe people focus to much on the details when hitting a bunker shot.

My expectations were higher after watching the chipping section, which he was very thorough with. I guess I was expecting/hoping for a bit more explanation on technique. I'm not saying that his instruction didn't help my bunker play. It just left me with a couple of, "but how...?" moments.

Maybe I shouldn't have rated it as a "con". It truly wasn't a negative. A 3.5/5 might be a better assessment.
905R 10.5* - Speeder (S) ::: 909F2 15.5* - VooDoo (S) ::: 909H 19* - VooDoo (S) ::: Vokey Spin Milled 52.08, 56.11 & 60.07
MX-25 4-P - Dynamic Gold (S300)
Studio Style Newport 2 - 33/350
Pro V1Tour V2

Note: This thread is 3477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!