IGNORED

Do you improve your lie when you play?

titaniummd
Note: This thread is 5469 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you improve your lie?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes but lie about it
    • Other

No one is talking about, moving a shot were you may damage your clubs, or put yourself in harms way, I think those are self-explanatory, should not even be take into consideration.

Of course we are! You can't move the ball without penalty for those situations either.

The rule is simple: if you are afraid of damaging your clubs or hurting yourself, then you may declare an unplayable lie and drop under a stroke penalty.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU BUNCH OF NANCIES!! The wailing is hurting my ears.

exactly right.. I DON'T wanna beat up the clubs I have. they are vintage,in very good shape, and I plan on keepin' 'em that way. scoring well isn't as important as having fun, and keeping my clubs in the same condition as when I got 'em. I don't play but 4-5 times a year. at 4-800 dollars for a new set of clubs, that's $$ that I'd rather spend on woodworking machines.

Well, I've hit from gravel, asphalt, and even concrete roads/cartpaths. Sometimes the nearest point of relief is not even playable... it really isn't that hard to adjust for a lie like that... much the same as a fairway bunker. You just pick the ball cleanly and

you may be able to do that,and I applaud that,but I'm not risking it... read my response above. I don't abuse the ball movement rule, but I'll move the ball if it means risk damaging my clubs.I'd do it when playing with Tiger,or anyone else.I'm there to have fun, not competetion.

No one is talking about, moving a shot were you may damage your clubs, or put yourself in harms way, I think those are self-explanatory, should not even be take into consideration.

I totally agree, and will always hit from any grass, redgardless how thick/tall. I always count my strokes when I hit outta bounds,etc.and have no problem with doin' it. if I played in tournaments, then I'd be obliged to obey every rule, and I would, but I don't play in tournaments( except for a couple scrambles in the past,where you PLACED the ball whereever you wanted near the captains choice spot.. and that was always on good grass). I just wanted people to know that not everyone is playing the game for the same reasons...it's a way to have a little fun..a little commraderie... and to forget about work for a few hours.I'm not there for the game of golf, the game's there for ME...I appreciate how the purists feel towards the game, and Bless 'em for it...however,they shouldn't expect everyone to share their attitude towards the game. different strokes for different folks.

[QUOTE=Elvisliveson;296128]

you're right!! what's one or 2 more strokes? I mean,really?... it don't matter... heck, I'll add 4 styrokes to keep people from getting their panties in a knot... it don't matter to me. 115..119.. 125... what's the difference? I don't care...

now, if I were playing for,say...MONEY...well... that'd be a different matter...but I'm no fool.

Man this forum can be rough. When I grew up it was pretty well understood that nearly everyone played "winter rules" until May 1. The course I played just wasn't really maintained until about that time. I never recorded scores in those rounds for handicap purposes, but c'mon there really isn't much difference for a single digit handicap player. After May 1, it was all down no excuses and the scores counted.

Now, the ONLY exception that we made and I can remember doing this about 10 times in my life was a lie where it was highly likely to be considered ground under repair in a tournament setting (but obviosuly wasn't marked for daily play) ie: the ball is sitting in a 6 inch deep tire rut from a maintenance truck or a bunker that has been carved out, etc. C'mon, there are times when its just absurd to "play it as it lies" and you likely would not be penalized in tournament play.

That being said, I do believe there are certain ettiquete protocols. If you are playing in a match with someone, you simply confirm what you are doing is kosher with them. If this isn't a match, they shouldn't give two craps what you do.

My grandfather played the ball up all year round in his later years. It made the game more enjoyable for him and THAT is all that matters.

I think its ridiculous to call someone who is not playing in a competitive setting a "cheater". Who are they cheating? Some of you need to relax a bit.

No. Even if I risk damaging the club cosmetically. The scratch marks on my clubs prove that.

When my ball lands in the back of someone's deep footprint in a bunker, I am so tempted to rake and drop, but I play it as it lies. I am doubly pissed when it happens in a fairway bunker and I would otherwise had a clean go at the ball.

I have improved my lie twice - dog or deer poo and a bees nest-thing in the trap. I'll scratch up my clubs, but I won't get stung or dirty. Yes, my ball landed right in the middle of a pile of crap and next to a swarm of bees.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Man this forum can be rough. When I grew up it was pretty well understood that nearly everyone played "winter rules" until May 1. The course I played just wasn't really maintained until about that time. I never recorded scores in those rounds for handicap purposes, but c'mon there really isn't much difference for a single digit handicap player. After May 1, it was all down no excuses and the scores counted.

that's the way I feel...

No. Even if I risk damaging the club cosmetically. The scratch marks on my clubs prove that.

I would have paid to see this....from a distance!!!!

that's the way I feel...

GuysI'm sorry If I am coming on strong here...and I certainly do not get involved withone's way of approaching the game, you are free to do whatever you want (within reason) to enjoy the game. For me the enjoyment comes from the challenge, but for some is just playing the game. I am very new to golf, so my challenge is not let the game beat me! But in order for me to succeed, I must respect those rules, as they are there as guideline.

As I have stated several times, yet it gets ignored when I have been quoted.... My gripe is people measuring up to you or comparing scores, when they drop as often as they like, without penalty. I have tried hard to get my index to where it is....26, for only 5 months of playing golf, is something that I am proud of, so it ticks me off to have someone that I just saw several times take a new drop, or take a second or third tee shot, tell me that they had a great game playing under 100, or that they are mid to low handicap....GARBAGE! Sorry....that soapbox follows me around!
It's the indian, not the arrow! But it sure is nice to have good arrows!!!!!

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

When something is in play or something like that I play the ball where it is, obviuosly if it's a tournament I don't improve it.

Most of the time I play to practice as much as I can and my partner is my dad, so if the club can suffer a damage we give a free drop, 'cause clubs around here are not cheap and the exchange type is ridiculous so we're not in a mood of breaking clubs LOL!

Cheers!

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

exactly right.. I DON'T wanna beat up the clubs I have. they are vintage,in very good shape, and I plan on keepin' 'em that way. scoring well isn't as important as having fun, and keeping my clubs in the same condition as when I got 'em. I don't play but 4-5 times a year. at 4-800 dollars for a new set of clubs, that's $$ that I'd rather spend on woodworking machines.

My current irons are 6 years old and I've played 100 rounds a year for the last 3 years. And I hit them from whatever lie I get into, or if I can't, I take the penalty like a man.

I've never had to replace or repair a single club from playing those lies.
you may be able to do that,and I applaud that,but I'm not risking it... read my response above. I don't abuse the ball movement rule, but I'll move the ball if it means risk damaging my clubs.I'd do it when playing with Tiger,or anyone else.I'm there to have fun, not competetion.

That's the biggest difference between you and me. I can only have fun with golf if I'm playing by the rules, otherwise I just feel like I'm wasting my time batting a ball around... might as well be on the driving range. It doesn't have to be a competition. If I'm the only player on the course I still play the same way. What I don't get is why it is that you CAN'T have fun that way. Why is it not fun playing the complete game as it's meant to be played?

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

At the beginning of the season when the course is really wet, we play lift clean and place within a foot since alot of times the ball is plugged an inch deep in the fairway. Once it dries up we play it as is.

Our club championship had the same lift clean and place within a foot rule in effect last year since the course was really wet so I don't see any problem with us doing the same with these conditions.
In my OGIO Kingpin bag:
Driver/Wood - Callaway Hyper X 10*, Ping G10 (3)
Hybrids - Adams IDEA A3 Boxer (3) 19*, Adams IDEA TECH A4OS (5) 25*
Irons/Wedges - TaylorMade R7 5-PW, Titleist Vokey 52* Gap, 56* Sand and 60* Lob
Putter - Nike Ignite 002

Note: This thread is 5469 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!