IGNORED

Country Clubbers... good deal?

MSB256
Note: This thread is 5483 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I joined one for the summer, as I just graduated college and am going to grad school in Houston in the fall (won't get to play much for the next 6 years), and I am enjoying it a lot. I too am a junior member and it's $150/mo for unlimited everything (carts etc). The whole facility was made by Hal Sutton so it' challenging to all levels of players and it is very well maintained (minus some of the greens due to people not repairing ball divots). I don't mind playing the same three 9s again and again as I'm new and most holes are a challenge.
However, my situation is slightly different from yours as I get to play every day all day (which is great since I just started) and my coach is there too. But overall everyone there is really nice and it is a very good atmosphere. There may be the occasional snobs, but you don't have to deal with them (not many people choose to either). Since you can get in 18 after work that sounds like a great deal. Also this one I am a member of is about 25-30 minutes away from where I live (but satellite radio helps).

I think it sounds like a great bargain, especially considering the proximity to your house. You seem to be serious about golf, so you should consider it an investment in your future. You will be able to practice and play a lot more with less pre-planning. Also, you didn't mention at the additional amenities offered at the club. They may not be important to you now, but could in the future. You may get in at an opportune time and ultimately look back at it as a great decision. If not, you have not lost a huge amount of money. One word of caution- I would look at the investment towards the entire package that is offered, rather than trying to justify the cost based on rounds of golf/ range usage.

Driver: Taylor Made RBZ HL
3-Wood:Taylor Made RBZ 16*
Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ 19* and 22*
4i-PW: Titleist AP 1
Wedges: Vokey 54*, 60* Putter: Cameron Squareback 2 Ball: Pro V1x

I was just in a very similar boat to yours and decided to take the plunge a couple of months ago.

Mine came down to practice. Even with range programs, hitting balls around where I live gets expensive. Add to that the fact that most of them look like goat ranches and/or don't have much of a putting green, and you get the picture. Our munis are about $35/rd for cart +18, so the math was making sense anyway (my dues are $230 + 225/year for range).

I get to play 9 every night after work (walking) for free, plus hit range balls. I could easily ride 18. I think if you really enjoy golf and want to improve, this is hands-down the way to go. As for variety...you'll get there eventually. I depend on tournaments within my industry to play around town. You'll also have coworkers/friends etc that have memberships elsewhere and want to reciprocate.

Do it!

This sounds like a pretty good deal for the OP, but there are other factors that sould be considered prior to making the financial commitment. First how likely is it that you'll stay in the area? You wouldn't want to pay the $1500 initiation fee only to have to move in the near term. Usually joining as a single/junior makes sense because the initiation is so much lower, but you also want to make sure that this is a club you'll be happy with going forward. From the web site it looks pretty nice so barring the need to move in the future joining may well make financial sense. Another consideration to make is if you are going to be happy with the ongoing financial commitment? As you get older club membership may or may not be something that you'll want to maintain. You also might move to a location (even if you don't relocate to another city) to where the convenience factor isn't so great. I know as a married person I've remained here in the same town but I've moved twice and currently I am considering another move. The real estate market right now makes moving and upgrading my home very attractive. If you were to do something like this in the future your club membership may not be as attractive to you. All of this and what all has been mentioned in the thread are things you need to consider prior to making the commitment to join. $1500 isn't a lot of money and paying that only to change clubs in the future isn't such an onerous thing, but you wouldn't want to pay that only to find you won't be using the facility because of convenience or that you're moving away due to other opportunites in the near term.

Good luck with your decision...

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

I was just in a very similar boat to yours and decided to take the plunge a couple of months ago.

The other option is to invest in the 'hobo golf' mentality - I usually go to municipal courses to putt on their practice green for about an hour after work on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday - I know the guys that work there, and they don't mind that you practice. Tuesdays, I go to an open drainage field behind a strip mall that the local jail makes the inmates mow once every two weeks, but it's completely undevelopable. The area is about 200 yards x 200 yards, so you can get some really good mid-iron to wedge practice in, and all you need to have is something to use as a target, like a traffic cone, a gallon jug half full of water (to hold it down from the wind), and a shag bag full of balls from the course. Thursdays, I go to a local driving range to work out my mechanics with my long irons, woods, and driver, just to get everything tuned up before the weekend matches/tournaments. Total cost is about $5/week (for the large bucket of range balls on Thursday using the range card). Everything else is free and clear

The only drawback is the fact that you would be playing the same course all of the time. Some people, including myself, don't mint that. When I do play a different course, it is a course with considerable driving distance and I don't mind paying the extra to play the different course because it doesn't happen alot. I have always thought that if you play a lot of golf then it would make much sense to join somewhere. I have played golf so much over the past few years at my club, that if I got down and crunched the numbers, I have gotten years of golf for one year's membership. I mean there were literally weekends when we would play 36-45 holes per day on the weekend and that didn't include during the week!

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think it sounds and looks good. I pay $1500/year for a semi-priv without walking or driving range privileges. I still have to pay a cart fee (city tax thing) for each round of $16/round.

I still get variety by playing different courses now and again. I don't mind playing the same course because it has become a social/fun item instead of just about playing golf. I've met so many members that I now get calls to join regular groups.

In my bag:

Driver: 907d2
Fairway: R7 ti 5-Wood
Hybrids: 909H 21 Rescue 4Irons: KZG Forged Evolution 5 - PW w/Rifle 6.0 shaftWedges: 52 Rac & Vokey 58Putter: Studio Select 2Ball: Titleist ProV1xEyes: SG5

I have a membership, and I love it. I still play golf in other places, but when im not working, I can play every day. I dont even have to call for a tee time, just go to the website, put in my member# and password, it shows me all available tee times, and groups flagged as looking for more, click, click again to confirm, done...

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Huntsville has nice weather. We do get our 20 degree days in the winter, but a week later it might get up in the 40's and I'll play in that.

20F? In Canada we call that spring! As soon as the snows gone, we golf!

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I am in the same position. CC is two miles away, but I drive 20-30 miles most the time to play. Lots of courses in the area, but the convenience of the CC is attractive. Driving range, tennis courts, pool, etc.. is nice to have access to. I will likely go this route myself and play there most the time. Maybe hit a few area courses a month for variety, but have the CC as my normal round. Maybe a 4:1 of CC to area courses. I think joining the local CC will lead to more golf myself. Certainly more time on the practice range and putting green. That alone makes the idea attractive. More time there will lead to lower scores

For 25 years I have lived literally two minutes (if that) down the street from a country club. It's one of three that I know of and probably the oldest one in my city (est. 1925). So it's not the nicest, but it's still nice. Make sense?

I think you should just let the wallet (and some common sense) decide. Basically, you're looking at paying $175/month (lumping the initiation with the monthly bill). So that's about the same price as 8 rounds of walking golf a month for you. That doesn't include how much your wasted time is worth (~40 mins round trip going elsewhere + inconvenience) or the unsaid pricetag of what a 3 year commitment means to you.

I think mostly it just comes down to how much you'll use it and how comfortable you are with the commitment. MOST people I know waste a ton of money committing to things they don't have any business committing to..... PERSONALLY, I've learned what's a good deal for me and what I can commit to -- and deals like these save tons of money, time, and hassle.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

Here's what I would be looking at:

If there are no other fees, than I think it's worth it too! Although you thinking it's worth it is far more relevant.

Providing: A: It's free for you to walk the course. (what are the cart fees anyway?) B: You play walking 3-5 times per week and are whacking many balls in between rounds. C: You don't mind playing the same course several times each week. So, if you can play that much more simply because of the convenience factor, than off you go! Good luck! If you do decide to join, do it now! Your free range balls will expire next year whether you hit them or not.

Personally, I would jump at that deal. The least expensive CC in my area has a program they call the Gen X membership (which is similar to what you are referring to (but it is through age 38). Still...
Initiation $500 (one time)
Monthly $240
Food Minimum $2000/year
Annual Club Fees (not sure how this differs from dues) $850

On top of that-$25 for 18 hole cart ($12.50 for 9) and pretty high guest green fees ($55).

Slim 11
Driver: Cobra F-Speed 10.5*
3 wood: Cobra F Speed
5 wood: Cobra F Speed
Irons: Cobra 3100H/I 3-PWSW: Pixl 56*Putter: Monza Rossa MalletBall: Slazenger Raw Feel

This doesn't have much to do with it... but what are the social/networking benefits of a country club?

You often hear people saying how people play golf with their clients and how business decisions are sometimes made on the golf course, etc... Is that realistic or just urban myth?

I work for a marketing agency and will soon do real estate on the side... think there is potential for meeting golf buddies and networking at the same time?
Bag:
Driver: '09 Burner 9.5*
3 wood: SQ2
Hybrid 3: SQ2
Irons 4 - AW: r7SW: Vokey SM 56FW: 64Putter: fastbackBalls: NXT Tour

If you have the time and like to play I would do it. It seems like a heck of a deal. I belonged to a public course a couple of years ago and enjoyed playing the same course.

Brian

This doesn't have much to do with it... but what are the social/networking benefits of a country club?

Yes. Potential galore!

Just don't force the issue, if it happens it happens. I hate when I'm invited to play and it's an obvious pitch. Golf first, social second, business third.

Yes. Potential galore!

Got ya. thanks! I think I'm going to do it...

Bag:
Driver: '09 Burner 9.5*
3 wood: SQ2
Hybrid 3: SQ2
Irons 4 - AW: r7SW: Vokey SM 56FW: 64Putter: fastbackBalls: NXT Tour

Note: This thread is 5483 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!