IGNORED

Newbie full of questions!!!

Note: This thread is 6561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all, this is my first post (other than intro). I am a new golfer just this year. The reason I actually got into golf, at 21 years of age, was because I won a brand new Taylor Made R7 425 11.5 driver. When I first won the driver, I didin't know a thing about it, and didn't really care. Then I saw the price sticker and thats where the research began. I have played a couple of rounds of golf with clubs by the name of "Intech". I have not even used the Taylor Made driver yet in fear of developing bad habits with it. I know its bad for your driver to hit the ground, and since I've just been starting, I thought the cheaper clubs would be good for just starting out. I have watched numerous videos on the full swing. I still dont have proper form, and I know this, I will be getting lessons soon. How does the brand of Intech relate and are they "Walmart Brand" clubs? They were given to me so I have no idea. I can make decent shots about 50% of the time, with the irons and the driver.....more so with the driver, but I'm having problems getting under the ball with the irons on a flat, bare lie. (driving range) I know alot of it will be my swing, but could it be the club too? I would like to upgrade my irons at the time I'm getting lessons so I can learn proper form with the better clubs. Is this the right order? Or should I learn the form with the Intech irons? I'm FULL of questions, but I have to start somewhere. This post may be a bit off topic for this thread....so mods, please move this where it needs to be if I made a mistake. I look forward to ANY advice that will improve my game and keep the fun in it!

In The Bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad 460 9.5
3 Wood: G5 w/ Graffaloy Pro Launch Stiff
3-PW: MP60's Wedges: Black Pearl 52, 56, 60Putter: White Hot #4Ball: Pro V1

If you are going to take lessons right away? I feel you shouldn't listen to a lot of advice from everyone else, you could really slow down your progress. After you have a framework so that you can evaluate how tips apply to your swing, then trying tips and working things out for yourself is a good thing. Since your pro probably won't be on the course with you to fix any problems. A first year pitcher shouldn't be working on a knuckle ball etc.(insert sports analogy of your choice here)

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Welcome to the forum and I'm glad to see that you're so eager to learn about this great game. I began in earnest a couple of years ago and the shine hasn't worn off the game yet. I'm having a lot of fun learning to swing the club and celebrate the good shots so that the bad ones don't bum me out.

You will have a tough time hitting driver at the beginning and more likely than not you'll put some sky marks in it before its all over with but that comes with the territory. I'd advocate playing three-wood off the tee as you learn. It'll be way easier to keep in the fairway and you'll probably hit it further than driver as a result.

I've not heard of Intech but thats no big deal. You should spend all your extra money on lessons at this stage and then when you have some better clubs you'll be able to truly appreciate them.

I'm glad you're enjoying the game. Make sure to have fun every time you go out. Don't expect more than you can deliver at this point. Anyway, welcome!

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the advice. I plan on taking lessons soon, but I would like to know if I should purchase a good set of irons first? Do you really think I should use the Intech clubs I am currently using? I found out that they are a lower end brand.....full set, around $99 at Walmart. Are these questions that will have to be asked during lessons? Also, about the lessons, as far as rates go: 4 sessions, 30 minutes per session is $140. Is this reasonable? Can you really learn alot in 30 minutes? I appreciate the help so far, looking forward to more responses.

In The Bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad 460 9.5
3 Wood: G5 w/ Graffaloy Pro Launch Stiff
3-PW: MP60's Wedges: Black Pearl 52, 56, 60Putter: White Hot #4Ball: Pro V1

Where I go to get lessons they sell 5 (half hour) lessons for $215. So sounds like your getting a good deal. You dont need new clubs yet, stick with the ones that you have. Take lessons and also hit the driving range as much as you can and really practice what the pro is teaching you, dont just go to the range and whack balls. Work on things, watch instructional videos via the internet (they are easy to find).
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

Thanks for the advice. I plan on taking lessons soon, but I would like to know if I should purchase a good set of irons first? Do you really think I should use the Intech clubs I am currently using? I found out that they are a lower end brand.....full set, around $99 at Walmart. Are these questions that will have to be asked during lessons? Also, about the lessons, as far as rates go: 4 sessions, 30 minutes per session is $140. Is this reasonable? Can you really learn alot in 30 minutes? I appreciate the help so far, looking forward to more responses.

Finn pretty much hit the nail on the head. The main thing right now is that you groove a proper and repeatable swing. Getting the basics down from a professional is the number one priority.

I wandered in the swing wilderness for too long because I didn't seek proper instruction. A good swing will be worth far more than quality sticks. All that being said, its fun to play good clubs. I'd play with your current set for a while, that way you can identify what kind of clubs you might like and what your long term needs are.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 6561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!