IGNORED

Skeptical of reported distances

Note: This thread is 5460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is off-topic, but since I was the OP, I'll do it anyway ;)

I also like days like that. It makes you think about different shots and trajectories, etc....FUN!

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look everybody, I'm sorry I said that my drives are 290 yards. I will take it off my signature. But here's the stats that I go by: 5/10 drives are about 260-270. 2/10 are about 280-290. 2/10 are O.B and 1/10 are 300+. I've reconsidered my position and changed my signature's statistic on my average drive.

No reason to apologize. You seem like a good dude. I think it's pretty typical for people to overestimate their average distance. And then, even if you are trying to be accurate and honest with yourself, a gps or rangefinder can be pretty illuminating. I look forward to your re-appraisal.

As a short hitter (average 200 yds) I can say I've yet to play with anybody averaging even 250 yds, even those I've witnessed occasionally hitting 300 yds. Not saying those golfers don't exist... they certainly do... but it's a definite minority. They say the average male averages 200-210 yds. Going by the people posting here, it's 250 or 260.
Driver :Adams Speedline 9032LS 10.5*
Woods:Wilson Staff FYbrid 3W
Hybrids:Wilson Staff FYbrid (wood/hybrid gap)
Hybrids:Ben Hogan Edge CFT 3H & 4H
Irons:King Cobra S9 5I-PWSand Wedge:Cleveland CG12-58*Putter:Ping Redwood AnserBall:Nike Karma/Topflite GamerFavourite Gizmo:Club Caddy

Look everybody, I'm sorry I said that my drives are 290 yards. I will take it off my signature. But here's the stats that I go by: 5/10 drives are about 260-270. 2/10 are about 280-290. 2/10 are O.B and 1/10 are 300+. I've reconsidered my position and changed my signature's statistic on my average drive.

it sounds like even those stats have just been pulled out of your a$$. did you HONESTLY keep those stats? or did you just make up those numbers?

also, if i were you, i wouldnt even put my AVERAGE DRIVE in my signature. you're just looking for controversy by doing so. and besides, who really cares how far you can hit a golf ball? although in this case, some of us DO want to know how far you really hit the ball. because we are sincerely doubting your claims. your stats just dont add up (6 handicap, long ball hitter, no eagles on par 5's)

They say the average male averages 200-210 yds. Going by the people posting here, it's 250 or 260.

That makes sense though. Most on here take golfing seriously (I think) and would probably be a little better/longer than "the average male."

Anyway, I played today in a tournament and we were all pretty good. And we could all hit it pretty far. Since I know the course where we played very well, they were asking me for some yardages off the tee. "How far to that red stake?" Or, "How far the clear the bunker?" I gave the answer based on how far I hit the ball. One of my responses was, "I usually hit about 250 and I'm always short of that stake." Two of them responded by saying, "250...bull shyt." So, I was thinking that they were going to say that I was hitting only like 220 or somthing like that. Then they say (a little jokingly), "More like 280." Absolutely ridiculous. The theory was that since I was only 10 yards shorter than they were off the tee, I average 260-270...because they average 270-280+. That's interesting. Unless you use google earth or a GPS or something like that, you don't know how far you hit it. I just google earthed several of the drives today. I hit one 290. Another kid hit one 313 and 309. But, for the most part, I was in the 250 range...and they weren't much longer. They thought they averaged 270+. Just shows that they don't know how far their drives go.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

Good for you! That's awesome honesty, and worthy of respect.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

That makes sense though. Most on here take golfing seriously (I think) and would probably be a little better/longer than "the average male."

Where you play matters a lot also. It can get pretty cool up here in Northern Ontario, particularly at the beginning and end of the season. I'm going to assume I'd be a little longer if playing in, say, Phoenix.
Driver :Adams Speedline 9032LS 10.5*
Woods:Wilson Staff FYbrid 3W
Hybrids:Wilson Staff FYbrid (wood/hybrid gap)
Hybrids:Ben Hogan Edge CFT 3H & 4H
Irons:King Cobra S9 5I-PWSand Wedge:Cleveland CG12-58*Putter:Ping Redwood AnserBall:Nike Karma/Topflite GamerFavourite Gizmo:Club Caddy

Where you play matters a lot also. It can get pretty cool up here in Northern Ontario, particularly at the beginning and end of the season. I'm going to assume I'd be a little longer if playing in, say, Phoenix.

or Denver

yes rocket I actually keep my driving statistics because I'm very detailed in my game. No eagles on par 5s.... Hmm. Well I guess I just haven't gotten lucky. It is completely possible to have those stats and still no eagles on par 5's. Whose to say I didn't mess up my second shot? or miss the eagle putt? I've had countless birdies on par 5's of course. I got lucky with that eagle on a par 4. Also, my friend gabe who hits it as long as me, has only had 3 and he's played for 6 years. So it's not impossible for me to have no eagles on a par 5.

Plus, if it's causing that big of a fuss, I will completely take it off my signature. Done. Thank you.

~RHPM

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

I Also took off all of the background information on myself in case that might cause controversy as well.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

yes rocket I actually keep my driving statistics because I'm very detailed in my game. No eagles on par 5s.... Hmm. Well I guess I just haven't gotten lucky. It is completely possible to have those stats and still no eagles on par 5's. Whose to say I didn't mess up my second shot? or miss the eagle putt? I've had countless birdies on par 5's of course. I got lucky with that eagle on a par 4. Also, my friend gabe who hits it as long as me, has only had 3 and he's played for 6 years. So it's not impossible for me to have no eagles on a par 5.

just curious if are you still going to post that video and measure your distances? and if so, HOW will you be measuring the distances?

No eagles on par 5s.... Hmm. Well I guess I just haven't gotten lucky. It is completely possible to have those stats and still no eagles on par 5's. Whose to say I didn't mess up my second shot? or miss the eagle putt? I've had countless birdies on par 5's of course. I got lucky with that eagle on a par 4. Also, my friend gabe who hits it as long as me, has only had 3 and he's played for 6 years. So it's not impossible for me to have no eagles on a par 5.

i guess its possible, but its just hard to buy, thats all. a 6 handicappers game is usually pretty solid. if you can AVERAGE 270 off the tee, it just makes sense that you'd be hitting a lot of your par 5's in 2. yet you havent had ONE eagle? and you are a 6 handicapper? again, im not calling you a liar, but that just doesnt compute. im not nearly as long as you are off the tee and ive had 4 eagles so far

this year on par 5's. but i also play several times per week

just curious if are you still going to post that video and measure your distances? and if so, HOW will you be measuring the distances?

RocketSauce let it go, he admitted he was mistaken and was exaggerating. What more do you want?

R9 with 757 Speeder
mp 57 3-pw project x 6.0 flighted
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

• Administrator
RocketSauce let it go, he admitted he was mistaken and was exaggerating. What more do you want?

I believe he thinks he's still exaggerating.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

He admitted he was wrong.

it sounds like even those stats have just been pulled out of your a$$. did you HONESTLY keep those stats? or did you just make up those numbers?

Apparently you care how far he hits a golf ball.

Good for you! That's awesome honesty, and worthy of respect.

+1

Plus, if it's causing that big of a fuss, I will completely take it off my signature. Done. Thank you.

He admits he was wrong end of discussion.

i guess its possible, but its just hard to buy, thats all. a 6 handicappers game is usually pretty solid. if you can AVERAGE 270 off the tee, it just makes sense that you'd be hitting a lot of your par 5's in 2. yet you havent had ONE eagle? and you are a 6 handicapper? again, im not calling you a liar, but that just doesnt compute. im not nearly as long as you are off the tee and ive had 4 eagles so far

Keep raking him over the coals.

I believe he thinks he's still exaggerating.

He hasn't posted anything in a while so lets just forget about it. I commend him for admitting he was wrong. It happens so rarely on the internet and now I see why. I guess it is natural instinct when people smell blood in the water the just keep attacking.

R9 with 757 Speeder
mp 57 3-pw project x 6.0 flighted
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

Apparently you care how far he hits a golf ball.

like i said...in this case, yeah, i do. and again, not calling him a liar at all. i just think he STILL thinks he's hitting the ball farther than he really does. he says one thing, his stats say another...

he says one thing, his stats say another...

well what if hes on in to with 40 ft putts for eagle?? i mean just cause you have the distance doesnt mean you have extreme accuracy with long clubs i mean a typicall par 5 =550 drive=270 =190 left thats for him prolly a 5 iron do you think hes gonna be laserlike with it??

Out of all of the things that were written, the no eagles thing is easily believable. I mean I have had a couple of putts at eagle this year and have missed them. Just because he isn't making eagle, even with that distance, doesn't tell me that he is lying.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Note: This thread is 5460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!