IGNORED

Swing Video: What's wrong with this?

Note: This thread is 5423 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm not hitting anything.... just swinging at air. The first couple swings are just practice/warmup swings. After that, I was trying to swing as if I was really hitting a ball. Using a 3 wood in the video.

Looking for some helpful critiques if anyone is bored. It's the first time I've seen my swing on video. Obviously, I've got my own thoughts on the swing, but I'll share them later in the thread.

Specifically, looking to get some help on how to hit some controlled draws on purpose. I'm under the impression that with the swing in the videos, it's impossible to draw the ball...... let me know what you guys think.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

Your starting the downswing by swinging your upper body first instead of starting with your lower,plus you need to work on finding a good tempo which
should come easy when you start swinging from the bottom up.Let the lower pull the arms down through the ball.

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

• 2 weeks later...
I sped up my driver tempo today and it's like I found my swing. Almost birdied both holes (got one to fall and the second lipped out). So thanks for that advice.

Anyone have any good drills to help me get rid of that little mini-casting i've got going on.

I learned at the range the other day that if I'm trying to hit down on the ball with an iron, I have the outside to in swingpath. I teed some balls up kind of high and was creaming iron shots... but with a draw. seems when I'm hitting up on a teed up high ball I have the inside to out path I want. Yet oddly enough, it's impossible for me to turn a ball right to left with the driver.......

Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

Work on your posture, you want slightly more bend forward from the hips (a steeper spine angle), this will give you enough room to swing from the inside, at the moment your set up is forcing you to come over the top.

Focus on maintaining the angles you have at address in the back swing, notice in your video how you 'stand up' a little and your knees straighten, keep your knee flex and spine angle constant throughout the back swing and you will find it a lot easier to draw the ball.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

If you have a fairly straight takeaway and you start with the hips on your downswind instead of your upper body, then that will pull the club pretty much on plane. It looked like your swing was a little flat at the top and that is probably why you are casting.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 things I thought were most notable:

1. Keep your spine angle. At right below your shoulders, you should really try to keep that still. You move up as your swing moves back, then go back down again. This makes it hard to be consistant, and you'll end up hitting it fat/thin alot.

2. Keep your arms straighter (not necessarily stiff) at address, basically move the ball a bit further away or put your hands lower in your stance. This will help ensure that your hands/arms return back to the same place when you hit the ball, helping to prevent timing issues when your spine angle changes. This will also help keep you from slicing/hooking the ball inconsistantly. I would guess you probably slice the ball more than anything.

Basically, moving your body and giving your arms the leeway to go inside or outside gives you too many things that have to be "perfect" to hit a good shot. Making your swing as simple and repeatable as possible is how you'll hit the ball as repeatable as possible.
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

Take the flip flops off, get a bucket of balls, record the swing while hitting real balls. I'm sure we will all see a totally different swing.

maybe its just me, but it seems liek your standign to close to the ball. that looks liek a 6-iron not a 3 wood with your stance

In my White Hoofer Vantage Bag:

Driver : R7 Draw
Woods : 3 hybrid
Irons : MP-60Wedge : 54 deg 58 degPutter : RED X 35' (in love)Ball : TP BlackBest Round: 80Closest to Hole-In-One: 0.5''

• 3 weeks later...
Take the flip flops off, get a bucket of balls, record the swing while hitting real balls. I'm sure we will all see a totally different swing.

Haha... I was visiting family and started messing with my netbooks webcam when the idea of filming my swing in the backyard occured to me...... eventually I'm going to video myself at a range. I KNOW I start doing funny stuff when there's a ball in the way of my swing.

As for everyone else...... thanks for the advice. I pretty much summed it all up into more of a posture/stance issue than anything else. Worked on things and now I have a much straighter natural ball flight that I can either draw or fade. Golf right now is soo much more relaxing and easier when you can work the ball both ways. I was actually aware of the up/down movement I make..... it helped a lot when I got longer, more upright clubs.... but obviously I haven't gotten it out of my system yet.

Your stance is off. Here's what I noticed, but it's kinda hard to tell from that view:
1) Point your elbows at your hips at set up.
2)Point your knees inward at set up.
3) Have a slight upper body tilt to the right to stop swaying.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

Agreed. It's hard to look at your swing with you taking practice swings in flipflops in your backyard!

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Note: This thread is 5423 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!