IGNORED

Proper ruling needed

ElWagonne
Note: This thread is 5438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just need a proper rule for my clarification here:

I hit my tee ball on a par 3 into a bunker but upon arriving at the bunker, a geese was there, my plug mark was there but alas, not my ball. Would this fall under a lost ball or could I take an unplayable and drop in the bunker.

Its a lost ball.

Did the goose take the ball? If he did, you would have to follow it around until it dropped it and play from there if the ball was still inbounds, lol.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Sorry, the "bike" is right........it's a lost ball.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you know for certain the goose "took" the ball, you drop as near as possible to the spot the ball had come to rest. If you do not know for certain the goose "took" the ball, it is lost.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

• Administrator
Did the goose take the ball? If he did, you would have to follow it around until it dropped it and play from there if the ball was still inbounds, lol.

I don't think so, no.

Source: Rule 18-1; Ball at Rest Moved 18-1. By Outside Agency If a ball at rest is moved by an outside agency, there is no penalty and the ball must be replaced. Note: It is a question of fact whether a ball has been moved by an outside agency. In order to apply this Rule, it must be known or virtually certain that an outside agency has moved the ball. In the absence of such knowledge or certainty, the player must play the ball as it lies or, if the ball is not found, proceed under Rule 27-1.

The note is important here. It doesn't sound as though you "knew" or were "virtually certain" (footprints aren't enough evidence) that the goose took your ball.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Something like that happened to me. I hit a shot around a dogleg and i thought it was perfect. Then we see a fox run away wit what looks like a ball in his mouth!!!!! We couldnt find my ball and i dropped and hit 3 instead of going back to the tee bacause we though the fox took my ball. Got a bogey. If i had found it and made par i would've shot 35 that day!!!!!!!

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

I don't think so, no.

I incorrectly took relief under this rule a few years back. I hit a (beautiful) shot when a bird swooped down and deflected my ball (stupid bird). I dropped and replayed, but since my ball was in motion, I should have played it from where it fell since the ball was in motion

- Shane

I'd think if you actually saw the ball in the bunker -- not saw it go in, but actually saw it at rest in the bunker -- you would be virtually certain that the goose or some other outside agency moved it and would be entitled to the replacement. Otherwise, it's quite possible that your ball landed somewhere else, is buried and hidden, etc, and you can't be virtually certain.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Let the goose have both barrels and retire to the bar

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

You should have run up to the goose in the bunker screaming at the top of your lungs "Don't you dare take my ball or I will turn you into a down pillow!" I don't think that anyone would have doubted that you were

virtually certain of what happened to your ball after those theatrics. [/SARCASM]

In my Grom bag:

Driver........... Burner 9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood......... Burner 15* S-Flex
5-Wood......... Ovation 18* S-FlexIrons............. Pro Combos 3,5-PW Rifle 6.0Wedges......... CG12 52.10, 56.14, 60.10Putter............ 33" VP1 Milled PutterBall................ e6+ or B330-SRangefinder.....

You should have run up to the goose in the bunker screaming at the top of your lungs "Don't you dare take my ball or I will turn you into a down pillow!" I don't think that anyone would have doubted that you were

....and use your buddies towel to clean the ball.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

The rule (18-1) states basically that you have to be certain the ball was moved by an outside agency, so you would have had to see the bird take off with the ball. Remember that famous video shot on 17 @ Sawgrass of the seagull flying off the green with a player's ball and dropping it in the water? The player got a free drop in that case.

In your case, you didn't see it, so for all you know the bird my have passed it to the squirrel, who handed it off to the gopher...

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

Let the goose have both barrels and retire to the bar

Or NOT.

Canada Geese are protected under the Federal Migratory Bird Act of 1918 . This Act makes it illegal to harm or injure a goose and damage or move its eggs and nest, without a Federal permit. Not complying with the Federal Act can result in fines ranging from $5,000 to $10,000.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

In the bag:
905R 9.5° - UST ProForce V2 65R
909F2 15.5° Titleist Diamana 75
909H 19° Titleist Diamana 80
Zing 2 3-PW Vokey SM48.08 @ 51° Vokey SM56.11 Unitized Leo

Canada Geese are protected under the Federal Migratory Bird Act of 1918 . This Act makes it illegal to harm or injure a goose and damage or move its eggs and nest, without a Federal permit. Not complying with the Federal Act can result in fines ranging from $5,000 to $10,000.

... and a 2-stroke penalty or loss of hole.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Note: This thread is 5438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!