IGNORED

Worst balls you've played?

Note: This thread is 5367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Top Flite
Cart Bag: AMP Xtreme
Driver: 460
3 Wood | 5 Wood: Diablo
Irons: (3-8) X18 | X Forged 9 & P
Wedges: X Forged 52 (12) | 58 (10) C-Grind Putter: Anser 4 i SeriesBall: Burner1978 - 93 - All Time Best - 84 or12 over in 1991.1994 - 2008 - Inactive2008 - Present - All Time Best 96 or 24...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was a really long time ago (1960's) but the old Achushnet Club Special was like hitting a feather pillow - the only exception being that I could a feather pillow farther than a Club Special.

As a kid I couldn't afford to buy golf balls so I played what I found. I found 2 of them and, as I recall, they stayed in the bottom of the ball pocket in my bag for years (unused after I learned how bad they were).

dave

In The Bag:
- Wishon 949MC 10.5* Driver
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W
- Wishon 60* Cx Micro LW- Wishon 550M SW (55*)- Wishon 550M GW bent to 50* - Wishon 550C 6i - 9i (9i bent to 45*)- Wishon 321Li 3i/4i/5i hybrids- Odyssey Two Ball Putter

Wow if those are the worst balls you've played man you live in luxury. Last year when I started, I was playing these "Ultra" golf balls and they were hard as rocks

May man I just don't play balls that don't help my game. When I played top flites I could not have told you I didn't like them.

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

Top Flite XL 2000 and all those older models. Rocks.

Agreed! I hit one today. Miserable. The noise it made coming of the driver rang my ear.

In the bag:
Driver: Rapture V2, 9 degree, stiff shaft
Fairway Woods: X-Hot 3 wood
Hybrid: 3H
Irons: J36 PC 4-PW Project X 6.0 Shafts, FlightedWedges: CG14, 50 54 and 58 degree Putter: Guerin Rife 2 Bar with Winn grip B330S Pro V1x

callaway hx hot. when i first started getting back into golf a couple years ago I kept hearing how long they were. well...they ARE long...but forget about stopping them anywhere near where you want them to stop. they may have changed since their inception, but they blew back then. not to mention they felt weird off every club.

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

S9-1 Pro D Driver 9.5 Degree Matrix Ozik XCON-6
CGB 3WPro Baffler 2/R 2HybridMP-37 Project X 6.0Vokey...

bridgestone e5 - luckily as much as I hated them, they were
also water magnets so I did not have to suffer with them
for long

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Definitely the worst ball i have ever played is the NITRO Blaster ball. I hit a few the other day and they flew like a sad rock. But i guess that's what i get at $5 for a dozen.

"The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing." - Oscar Wilde

top flite extra long.

Although I haven't hit a top flite in years, those were by far the worst ball I've ever seen. A giant ball bearing is softer, and probably has better stopping power!!

Nike Ignite.

Bought a box of reloads on sale at Target. That's the last time I'm ever playing a non-premium ball.

I threw my clubs into the lake so it's time to start over...

Driver: Great Big Bertha II 10°, Callaway System 60 Firm
Woods: Tour 2400 Plus 3
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H, Adila NV 85 SIrons: X20 4-GWPutter: Studio Select Newport 2

I actually had an ok couple of rounds with some Nike Ignites. I will agree that they aren't by any means near a premium ball, but I didn't think they were just plain horrible.

I am a TaylorMade guy, and I have yet to buy a box of the TP blacks, but I was hitting a TM Burner today and had horrible luck. Maybe it was just me, but I couldn't hit that ball straight and where I wanted to put it for anything. Has anyone else had anything like that with the TM Burner balls? I havn't read anything but good stuff on them, I'm just trying to figure out if that ball was a bad one, (I only played with one that my brother gave me) or if anybody else has had bad luck with them.

But as far as the worse, the Nitro's are pretty horrible. I just throw those things back in the creek or the woods instead of wasting a stroke hitting them there.

In my Nexos Bag

Burner Driver 9.5*
Burner fairway 3 wood
755 Irons Tri Spec S Shafts 585 19* Hybrid w/ Aldilia NV S Shaft 3DX 23* Hybrid Tour 58* wedge CG 12 56* Wedge NCX-Ray Alpha Putter

I actually had an ok couple of rounds with some Nike Ignites. I will agree that they aren't by any means near a premium ball, but I didn't think they were just plain horrible.

Were they the regular Burners, or the Burner TPs? I bought a dozen Burner TPs a few weeks ago, and found them to be alright.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Can't think of a worst ball-probably cause I played the cheaper and/or lower quality balls when my modest skill level didn't require much feel. I have to stand up for some of Top Flite's current offerings, I've played a large cross-section of balls lately, including the premium ones, and the TF Gamer and D2 Feel are great balls at any price. They're especially impressive at their discount prices.

Intech Hot. It's a non-conforming distance ball (slightly smaller than a regular golf ball). It is garBAGE. Intech does make a nice inexpensive golf ball though called the Limbo. Right now I like my Topflite Gamer and Nike Juice.
Driver :Adams Speedline 9032LS 10.5*
Woods:Wilson Staff FYbrid 3W
Hybrids:Wilson Staff FYbrid (wood/hybrid gap)
Hybrids:Ben Hogan Edge CFT 3H & 4H
Irons:King Cobra S9 5I-PWSand Wedge:Cleveland CG12-58*Putter:Ping Redwood AnserBall:Nike Karma/Topflite GamerFavourite Gizmo:Club Caddy

bridgestone e5 - luckily as much as I hated them, they were

Wow....surprising.

I never imagined these could be deemed the worst ball by someone...to each his own.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I remember hitting a Commando ball years ago, it was short, dull and had no spin. Don't think they make them anymore.

Slightly off topic, does anyone remember the Spalding Tour Edition Ball? That was a great ball in it's day.
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 9.5˚
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 15˚
adams.gif A7 17˚
adams.gif Idea Pro 3-PW
mizuno.gif MP T-11 52˚, MP T-10 58˚  cameron.gif Red X  titleist.gif NXT

I found an extremely old MacGregor ball. Absolutely awful.

Jack played the MacGregor Tourney ball for years. I read somewhere that they tested his golf balls with the Iron Byron and the flew as much as 20 yards off line. People have said that he would have won more majors playing a better ball. Don't know how much of this story I believe. I've also read that Hogan had specifics for the ball he played. Thus, the ball he played was not available to the public, nor anyone else. Don't know if this still goes on.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Note: This thread is 5367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!