IGNORED

Recommendations for new putter?

Note: This thread is 5446 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you take your putter straight back and then follow through straight to the target, you need to go with a mallet. If you open your putter face on the takeback and then close it on the follow through, you need to go with a blade. Trying them out on longer putts will make your natural stroke more evident. You may want to have someone else watch you while you putt.

As for brands, there's lots of good putters out there so it's whatever feels the best. Personally I like the Ping line of putters.

One other piece of advice... take into account the type grip you want on your putter because if you plan to change the grip to one of the larger grips out there (which I recommend because it helps to keep your grip light and helps you be less "handsy"), the grip can add significant weight to your putter. There are some Jumbo YES grips that weight almost nothing but my fav is the Jumbo Winn grip, which does add weight to your putter.
Driver :Adams Speedline 9032LS 10.5*
Woods:Wilson Staff FYbrid 3W
Hybrids:Wilson Staff FYbrid (wood/hybrid gap)
Hybrids:Ben Hogan Edge CFT 3H & 4H
Irons:King Cobra S9 5I-PWSand Wedge:Cleveland CG12-58*Putter:Ping Redwood AnserBall:Nike Karma/Topflite GamerFavourite Gizmo:Club Caddy

If you're in the market for a blade rather than a mallet, I totally agree with the earlier recommendation on the Mizuno Bettinardi C series for $100 from budgetgolf. My C-03 arrived a few days ago, and it's a beautiful looking and feeling putter, easy to control distance, etc.

WITB:
Driver:  ping.gif Anser 9.5°  | Fairway:    XCG5 15° 
Hybrid:   XCG5 19°  | Irons:  mizuno.gif JPX-825 4-GW
Wedges:  mizuno.gif MP R-12 56°, 60°
Putter:  ping.gif Grayhawk TR

The last time I bought a putter I went and camped out on the indoor putting green at Golf Smith for 4 hours until I found one I liked.

I dont care if its an old Zima bottle on the end of a giant popsickle stick...if it works, use it.

-Beane

Best thing that ever happened to you

could not agree more... my next purchase is the rife barbados...

Driver: TaylorMade RocketBallz 10.5-deg
Woods: Cobra Bio Cell+ 3W and 5W
Hybrids: Bobby Jones Workshop Hybrid 3 (20-deg) and 5 (25-deg)
Irons: Srixon XXIO7 from 6 - PW
Wedge: Srixon XXIO7 GW and SW

Putter: Bobby Grace DCT Captiva 34"; Ball: Sirxon Soft Feel; Shoes: Footjoy

Hi,

I like your sig picture of your little cairn terrier. We have a little 6 year old girl cairn and these are the best dog's in the world! Oh yeah, the putter question.

I just got a Ping B60 50th from the TGW. What a great putter! I play with a bullseye and I needed a putter with a little better aim. The weight, feel, bronze finish, and head cover of this Ping B60 are all perfect! For the price of $109.00 it's a very good deal. I would check them out.

Bernie, Go Toto!

i highly recommend the SeeMore FGP series putters. either the milled or stainless versions. ive had mine for about 5 months now and ive sunk more 15-25 footers with this thing in the last 5 months than i have in my entire golfing career. its the same putter Zach Johnson uses. good luck with your search!

After having a Rife Antigua for a few weeks, I would seriously recommend at least having a look at them (Rife, not necessarily the Antigua) before settling on anything else.

Why is it so good? They seem to be designed to be easy to adjust the lie yourself (some models come with a manual adjustment tool, the Antigua doesn't) - I just trapped the putter head between two wooden slats and gently bent it to the appropriate lie for me. The alignment aid means that you have a simple visual confirmation that you are standing consistently in the correct position over the ball. The milled face and gentle loft angle gets the ball up and running truer than any other putter I've ever hit.

As a thing of beauty I was desperately tempted to push the boat out and get a Scotty Cameron Newport 2. The performance and confidence the Rife putter gives me makes me not regret the decision not to. I paid half the price of the Newport 2. It was amongst the most difficult of decisions, but rounds out my dream set perfectly. I previously had four or five other putters, that I could never settle on, I'm giving them to my brother so he can suffer the agony of uncertainty. I know what I'll be putting with for a long time.

In the bag:

Driver: 975D 10.5° True Temper EI-70 Stiff (Alternate 8.5° Titleist Stiff Graphite Shaft)
Fairway Woods: 975F (2 From) 14.5°, 18.5° True Temper EI-70 Stiff, 20.5° Titleist Stiff Graphite Shaft
3Iron-PW: S58 Dynamic Gold S300 ShaftsGap Wedge: Tour-W 54/10 Nickel...

I'm deeply in love with my Scotty Cameron. It fits your criteria, but it might be a little more money. I got mine on eBay for $110 shipped and it's in great condition. Check out eBay.

I've had pretty good success with the Oddessy White Hot XG Rossie. Some like the face insert, some dont. A few of my friends have picked mine up at different times, and all of them really liked the feel of it as well.

I gotta be honest though, I do have a little Scotty Cameron envy

The Sports Authority near me had one of the Nike Unitized putters on sale for less than $100, so I checked it out for a sec. I was really impressed with it. I really liked the one piece construction a lot. Having never really heard too much about these, after feeling it, I really started to wonder why it hasnt get anymore attention than it does.

Another putter I tried a while back was a Nike IC, though I'm not sure which model. It was a mid-mallet. It may have been the IC 20-15A. It was considerably heavier than my Oddessy, but I liked the feel of it.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

Try cheap putters aswell. If you don't like the grip, for 5-6$ you should have a new one. And try hitting some balls with your eyes closed.

If you're after a mallet style, I really like my Odyssey White Hot XG #9. It's one of the more conservative-looking putters in the XG lineup, and has performed very well for me so far.

Can't go wrong with a preowned or backstock Odyssey, especially if you liked what you had. I have a vintage Odyssey and I love it, though the new inserts are butterey soft.

FTi 10* Draw w/ ProLaunch Blue 65g Stiff
5 Wood
Walter Hagen Ultradyne Blades 3-PW
52*
X-Tour Vintage 56.13 X-Forged Chrome 64.09 Dual Force BladeBall: B330Rx or Pro V1

The Heavy Putter C2-DF has been a revelation for me, and they can be had for $50. Golf Galaxy will match the online price, even though the sticker says $169. I've found I much prefer a putter with some heft, the Heavy Putters do exactly what they're supposed to-take your wrists largely out of the equation. For more traditional putters I prefer the PING Anser 2 and the Zing models.

I have one of these as well that I recently picked up online. I could not be happier with it. If you have not tried a heavy putter I would definately go play with one for a little while. They feel a lot different and it may be something that you like.

Cleveland Classic putter. $70 for an amazing milled putter.

I agree, just picked up one too and hit both a scotty and the Cleveland and could not tell much difference. They are that good...

Note: This thread is 5446 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!