IGNORED

Cheap bastard......

David in FL
Note: This thread is 5470 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i made one few years ago and i bought drinks ONLY for the guys that were in my foursome. i do not care about the tradition and refuse to put myself in financial hardship for that.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would certainly buy drinks for my foursome, but it would be a "game time" decision on the clubhouse. I am not going to spend hundreds on a bunch of strangers. Call me an ass if you like.

To the OP...If I cam in and sat with some guys and was bragging about my hole in one (likely), I would probably buy them a beer or something.

Slim 11
Driver: Cobra F-Speed 10.5*
3 wood: Cobra F Speed
5 wood: Cobra F Speed
Irons: Cobra 3100H/I 3-PWSW: Pixl 56*Putter: Monza Rossa MalletBall: Slazenger Raw Feel

Got a worst one for ya - on Feb 19, 2000 I made my first ace. 3rd hole, 194 yards, 6 iron. Hit it off the toe, swore up a storm, look up after tossing my club and it's taking a weird hop on the fringe, bounces to the left and dunk!

Yeah, but the difference is, you smiled (maybe grimaced) and

paid it! BTW.....we were at Eagle Dunes. I don't think this cheap SOB could've spent much more than $100 there if he tried ! I do know a guy who dropped $1300 down the road at The Legacy Club at Alaqua Lakes a few months back. That'll leave a bit of a mark!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Our group's tradition is quite opposite. Each golfer needs to anti $1 per yard of the hole in one. I stuck one to 3" from 215 yards. Missed an 7 man payday by inches. When that happens, I'll buy the drinks.

I like it. I'm talking to my group this weekend!

In David's bag....

I always thought that it was a round of drinks, not drinks for the night. I think that good manners would suggest that those receiving the drinks should try to keep the tab reasonable. If I were a stranger in the clubhouse when someone bought a round I would order a soda or cheap beer, if anything.

One round for the house. Not drinks all night. I'd be happy and I'm generous, but I'm neither rich, nor stupid!

In David's bag....

I was always under the impression that it was drinks for your group. I guess it depends on how deep your wallet is.

As for those that play with large groups - leave a 24 pack of PBR in the trunk just in case ;)

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

I think that was cheap. If you don't want to buy drinks, then don't brag about it. I agree with most that I can't afford to go broke, but I can promise if I get one in my league the first round is on me. I feel one comin......

Brian

One round for the house. Not drinks all night. I'd be happy and I'm generous, but I'm neither rich, nor stupid!

Agreed. (with the drinks part)

I don't see the problem here. Ace or not, just because some people use those traditions, expecting strangers to buy you beer is expecting a bit much.

The expectation is a bit much. Propositioning it to the guy is more than a bit much, in my opinion.

I understand this is a little different because supposedly there is a "tradition," however, I have an acquantence who is always propositioning people to buy him drinks. When I passed the bar exam, he thought I was supposed to buy him drinks. When I got a promotion, he thought I was supposed to buy him drinks, etc.

I was playing 9 holes with my buddy and another couple of guys we were paired up with...I scored my first legit eagle and one of the guys that joined us wanted me to buy the group drinks.

I was like "sorry pal".

In My Grom Bag:
Rapture Driver (10.5*)
Rapture 3 wood (14*)
G5 22* Hybrid
Eye 2+ (Blue-Dot) 4-PW iWedge 54/60 PAL-2i (Isopur); G2 ZSB Pro V1xHome Course: Rio Salado Golf Club (63.6/101)

The tradition round my parts is that you buy whoever's in the clubhouse at the time a round of drinks but not more than that, definitely not for the night. Usually when we finish and go up to the clubhouse there's no more than 10 people in there because people don't tend to stick around too long after their rounds. We also have insurance at my club so you're not going to be too far out of pocket; I think it also pays out if you get a hole in one at another club although that may be only if you do it in a tournament.

I've heard that in Japan people take out hole in one insurance policies because it's customary to send out money to friends and family if you get an ace which can run upwards of $10,000!

A friend of mine got his first hole in one last Thursday and bought everyone in the bar a drink, it was his first Ace in 20 years of playing. And believe it or not he got another one Wednesday, six days later. I was playing with him and he holed out on the 2nd hole, a 188 yrs par 3. He just got a new set of clubs and it was the first time he had hit the club.

He just left his tab open as he had to leave. There were only a few of us left so we were easy on him.

Woods: Titleist 909 D3, Titleist 909 F2
Hybrids: Taylormade Rescue
Irons: Titleist AP-2
Wedges: Titleist Vokey spin milled
Putter: White Hot 2 ball.

If I ever hit one, I'm whipping out the credit card for a round for everyone in the club... I mean, don't you want to do it in style?!

Driver = Dymo2 10.5*
3W = Sumo2 15*
Hyb= G10 18*
3-PW = G10 Graphite
SW = SV Tour Black 56*/10LW = Aspire 60*Putter = XG TeronBag = Clip-Lok Stand BagBall = Zip

... I mean, don't you want to do it in style?!

I couldn't agree more!

Now, let's talk about your affinity for blended Scotches though......

In David's bag....

I have a friend who confided in me that when he was a kid (15?) he and his brother were playing and he hit a hole-in-one. Their parents were members of the club and it was tradition that an ace meant buying a round in the clubhouse. Being kids they couldn't afford it, so the two of them kept it quiet all these years.

I think that was cheap. If you don't want to buy drinks, then don't brag about it. I agree with most that I can't afford to go broke, but I can promise if I get one in my league the first round is on me. I feel one comin......

While this may sound cheap, just because someone hit a great shot, or got lucky, why do they have to buy drinks for you? Tradition aside, maybe they don't have them money to, or don't feel obligated. I certainly wouldn't, I don't get why the person that gets the ace has to buy the drinks I think it should be the other way around. Also the part of your post that gets me is you said if you don't want to buy drinks, then don't brag about it. WHAT? Buying drinks for everyone would be a luxury and a choice. They can choose or choose not to, that shouldn't at all affect whether they can enjoy the ace and BS with their friends about it.

I have never made a hole in one but I did make a double eagle (3wood on par 5 went in). What does that cost me? Haha, nobody asked me to pay anything.

What's neat about this is that a guy in the group made an eagle on that hole. And got beat. That's pretty cool.

May 2009: Back into golf after 5 yr layoff, lovin' it! Best ever hdcp: +1.2
Driver: Titleist 983E 9.5*, 3W: Turner 13*, Hybrid: Turner 16*, Irons 4-PW: Taylormade RAC MB blades, Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action RTG, Putter: Odyssey White Steel Tri-ball SRT

Note: This thread is 5470 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!