IGNORED

In between distances.

Note: This thread is 5445 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Defeatist as it is, it depends on where I'd like to miss. If I'm in between clubs (usually my 8 and 9 lately) I look at the pin. If there's no trouble and its a back pin, i'll hit the 9 as I know I'm really really bad when I shortside myself.

If there is trouble such as a bunker or an area thats for crap to chip/pitch off of, I'll pick the club that (probably) won't put me there.

In my Vaporlite Bag
Driver: Hireko PowerPlay Q2 10.5*
3 Wood: SS 3.5 14*
20* Hybrid: 3dx
Irons: 804 OS 4-PWWedges: 52* Vintage Forged 54* Vokey Spin-Milled 58* Vokey Raw Putter: Crossbax 2.0Ball: Gamer or D2 Feel

It all depends on the situation, but I've recently learned choking down to the metal will take 10-15 yards off, produce a lower ball flight, and take some of the spin off. For instance I have a gap between my 54* wedge and my 47* PW. So between 110-125 used to be tough, but now I'm learning to control the distance by changing my grip on my wedge.

Just a tip- You may be pulling your shots when your trying to play less than 100% because you are relying too much on your arms as opposed to a good turn like in your full swing.

910 D3 - RIP X
910F 15* - RIP X
Idea Pro Gold Hybrid 18* - Matrix Ozik
MP-68 3-PW - TTDG X100
Vokey Spin Milled 52* - Project X 6.0 Vokey Spin Milled 58* - Project X 6.0

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 

ProV1x

Read an article once awhile ago where Jack said if you are between clubs you should ALWAYS take the longer club and choke down a bit (the word always was in CAPS in the article and was the part that stuck with me). He said something about overswinging being a terrible idea. I usually choke about 1-2 inches down (looks like a normal Anthony Kim grip) and swing exactly normal, setting up after I choke down of course, and the ball usually goes about halfway between distances of clubs for me with about a 1 1/2 inch choke on middle irons.

Read an article once awhile ago where Jack said if you are between clubs you should ALWAYS take the longer club and choke down a bit (the word always was in CAPS in the article and was the part that stuck with me). He said something about overswinging being a terrible idea. I usually choke about 1-2 inches down (looks like a normal Anthony Kim grip) and swing exactly normal, setting up after I choke down of course, and the ball usually goes about halfway between distances of clubs for me with about a 1 1/2 inch choke on middle irons.

Harvey Penick says to use the phrase "grip down" instead of "choke down". You don't want the word choke in your head when it comes to golf.

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i really think most guys swing at 95 and have that extra 5 % to give when in between clubs me for example i have a 135 pw 130 and a 125 pw 130 normal 135 riping it and 125 with a shorter back swing i always go less club and rip it a 100 %

driver. taylormade tour burner tp ust avixcore tour green 75 x
3 wood 909 f3 13* voodo xnv8
3 hybrid adams idea pro vs proto 95x
irons 3 no 4 5-pw nike cci forged blades
gap wedge nike sv tour blacksand wedge cg14 56* 14flopadopolous vokey spin milled 64 7putter scotty cameron classics newport...

Try picking a target at the range, say about 120, then hit everything from a PW down to an 7 at it. It will probably help you develop your touch.

Note: This thread is 5445 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!