IGNORED

Golf in Los Angeles

P3R3
Note: This thread is 4947 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

played Simi hills for the first time. I really like that course. The Dog legs can make it challenging. If you have a decent length drive with some control you can have an advantage here.

In my Golf bag
Big Bertha Irons
60* wedge
Hi-Bore Hybrid 3
Burner 3wood XLS Hi-Bore 10.5 Driver Putter On the feet Burner Balls

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Played Los Robles Greens over in thousand oaks for the first time. Great course, great experience. Staff was great, played on a sunday with excellent pace of play. Course has some challenging holes but also provides holes that you can make up your score on if you play them right. Alot of fun.

In my Golf bag
Big Bertha Irons
60* wedge
Hi-Bore Hybrid 3

Played Los Robles Greens over in thousand oaks for the first time. Great course, great experience. Staff was great, played on a sunday with excellent pace of play. Course has some challenging holes but also provides holes that you can make up your score on if you play them right. Alot of fun.

I HATE the back 9 there. Some horrible course design there. But the front is amazing, love just about every hole.

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

I played Knollwood this morning for the first time in over a year. Made some good pars, but got horribly confused by half the greens.

Hey, are we going to do another Sandtrap meetup?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played Knollwood this morning for the first time in over a year. Made some good pars, but got horribly confused by half the greens.

some of the knollwood greens can be confusing becuase of the placement I think, alot of ' looks like it will break but really is a strait shot' type of putts. I played there a couple weeks ago and the greens were in horrible shape. That course could be so nice if they put a little more effort into the quality of the grass.

In my Golf bag
Big Bertha Irons
60* wedge
Hi-Bore Hybrid 3

The best golf in L.A. isn't in L.A. Take an hour drive to Ventura County. Rustic Canyon, Moorpark CC, River Ridge, Sterling Hills, Olivas Links just to name a few.

I live in Ventura County but I have played most of the par 3 and executive courses in LA. My favorite par 3 is the VA course because it has grass tees, and for a practice round, I will just put my ball right on the grass and not tee up. Scholl Canyon is the nicest "non-full" course in LA IMO. I haven't played here since my handicap was in the 30s and would like to go back and see how I have improved.

Sinaloa in Simi Valley, which is also a 9 hole par 3 course and also has grass tees, is about 15 minutes from my house so I play there a lot since I can usually squeeze it in on a workday. Since they have grass tees, I practice approach shots from 60-168 yards simply by placing my ball in the tee box in a similar lie that I may find on a full course. It is amazing how many of my paired up partners have pointed out that I don't tee up and find it strange. As for full courses in LA, I have played Alhambra, Woodley Lakes, and Mountain Meadows (anyone ever heard of this course?). As mentioned, Woodley Lakes is a good confidence booster, and a good place to fire off your driver without much worry of losing your ball. Been a while since I have played there too and I would like to go back. It was the first full course I ever played at (shot 118, LOL) and also the first course I broke 100 at (my second and last visit there, with a 99, lol), now I should be able to break 90 there which is something I haven't done yet, but have come very close on harder courses. In Ventura County I have played Camarillo Springs, Rustic Canyon, Los Robles, and Saticoy. I enjoy all of these courses for different reasons, but I think of these Rustic Canyon is the one that I would recommend for people coming from LA and beyond. I would like to get to River Ridge, Olivas, Sterling, and someday Tierra Rejada when my ball budget isn't such a factor. I live about 10 minutes from Tierra Rejada too, and I practice at the range across the street from the finishing holes there (Tom Barber Driving Range), so I get to fantasize about playing there all the time. Needless to say, I haven't been able to put a lot of time aside to play full courses. Probably part of the reason why my handicap is still so high after all this time. I posted my first score for handicap calculation purposes on 7/21/08, and have posted 8 scores since, which included slope/rating. My current goal is to play at least 1 full 18 a month from now on, preferably 2 or 3. cirem22 - I am a high handicap that wouldn't mind playing with a fellow high handicapper. I would like to take my GF to Rustic Canyon someday soon, within the next couple of weeks actually, and you are more than welcome to join. We usually have no problem keeping up with the group ahead of us, albeit 1 or 2 blowup holes from not playing in a while, in which we get back up to pace pretty well. We will sometimes send off an additional tee shot if there is any doubt we might not be able to find our first ball, but that is about it. At Rustic, however, it's pretty hard to lose a ball with how huge the fairways are. I bought the tour guide booklet while I was there but cannot seem to find it. I need to locate that damn thing. Sorry for the long post, been a slow workday. :)

Grom stand bag
SQ 5900 - 9.5*
Burner 15* and 18*
MT 20* Hybrid
CG Gold 4-PW CG14 52.10 SM 56.14 IC 20-10a 34" Putter SDF balls (was on sale)

played Simi hills for the first time. I really like that course. The Dog legs can make it challenging. If you have a decent length drive with some control you can have an advantage here.

I got my first lessons and grew up playing at Simi Hills. I've got a soft spot for that place. It is very fun to play. I remember as a kid having fun trying to blast a drive over the lake on 14 trying to cut the dogleg, same with the bunker that protects the 16th hole. I played Simi a few months ago for the first time in years and practically drove both those greens. Oh, and that 5th hole, short dogleg left protected by water. I could probably hit 3 iron or 2 hybrid on now.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

My favorite par 3 is the VA course because it has grass tees, and for a practice round, I will just put my ball right on the grass and not tee up.

Is this course open again? It closed a few months ago (due to embezzlement, I heard?), and I'd love to get back there. So convenient!

As for full courses in LA, I have played Alhambra, Woodley Lakes, and Mountain Meadows (anyone ever heard of this course?). As mentioned, Woodley Lakes is a good confidence booster, and a good place to fire off your driver without much worry of losing your ball. Been a while since I have played there too and I would like to go back. It was the first full course I ever played at (shot 118, LOL) and also the first course I broke 100 at (my second and last visit there, with a 99, lol), now I should be able to break 90 there which is something I haven't done yet, but have come very close on harder courses.

I haven't heard of Mountain Meadows. Woodley is a great confidence booster, but I can't bring myself to play there much anymore.

I got my first lessons and grew up playing at Simi Hills. I've got a soft spot for that place. It is very fun to play. I remember as a kid having fun trying to blast a drive over the lake on 14 trying to cut the dogleg, same with the bunker that protects the 16th hole. I played Simi a few months ago for the first time in years and practically drove both those greens. Oh, and that 5th hole, short dogleg left protected by water. I could probably hit 3 iron or 2 hybrid on now.

I'm playing Simi Hills a week from today. And, according to my group, I'm playing from the blues... which don't look that bad on the scorecard. I'll probably regret those words a week from tomorrow.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

cirem22 - I am a high handicap that wouldn't mind playing with a fellow high handicapper. I would like to take my GF to Rustic Canyon someday soon, within the next couple of weeks actually, and you are more than welcome to join. We usually have no problem keeping up with the group ahead of us, albeit 1 or 2 blowup holes from not playing in a while, in which we get back up to pace pretty well. We will sometimes send off an additional tee shot if there is any doubt we might not be able to find our first ball, but that is about it. At Rustic, however, it's pretty hard to lose a ball with how huge the fairways are. I bought the tour guide booklet while I was there but cannot seem to find it. I need to locate that damn thing.

I have played Rustic once and would love to get out there again soon. currently im not sure of a free weekend but im sure we can work something out soon, those greens destroyed my putting and i want revenge!

That VA course is open as far as i know. I played there once since i live very close. Cheap and nice to tee off grass. kind of a calming place too. Simi hills blue tees are not bad at all. I played blue tees there the other day and most my drives were 250-260 leaving alot of fairly easy approach shots (had my irons been working i would of scored well) Just a lot of dog legs so if you have control off the tee you will be fine.

In my Golf bag
Big Bertha Irons
60* wedge
Hi-Bore Hybrid 3

That VA course is open as far as i know. I played there once since i live very close. Cheap and nice to tee off grass. kind of a calming place too.

When did you play last? I last checked in, I believe, May, so it may have re-opened.

Simi hills blue tees are not bad at all. I played blue tees there the other day and most my drives were 250-260 leaving alot of fairly easy approach shots (had my irons been working i would of scored well) Just a lot of dog legs so if you have control off the tee you will be fine.

Hmm... I'm not quite as long as you are off the tee, but I do have reasonable control off the tee. I'm a lot less worried now.

-- Michael | My swing! 

When did you play last? I last checked in, I believe, May, so it may have re-opened.

I played around june some time and more recently talked to a buddy who played it.

being long off the tee actually hurt me on that course. went strait on a dog leg and eneded up being too long on a couple holes.

In my Golf bag
Big Bertha Irons
60* wedge
Hi-Bore Hybrid 3

I played around june some time and more recently talked to a buddy who played it.

Thanks for the heads-up. I will go check that out again sometime soon. Probably when I get around to getting that stand bag I've been talking about. I need some good short game and wedge practice, and chipping a shag bag isn't cutting it, as evidenced by my last few rounds' short game sets.

-- Michael | My swing! 

Yea, I heard about the embezzlement thing. Didn't even know they shut down because of it, that is really sad to hear. Obviously I wouldn't know if they are open again or not, it's been quite some time since I last played there, as I have been going to Sinaloa for my short game practice.

cirem22 - I too have random days that I am available. I can go this Sunday, or either day the weekend of the 24/25. Any of those days work for you? I would be bringing my GF (similar handicap) and let's try to complete a 4some. You have anyone in mind or does anyone on the forum want to join a group of 20 somethings? Maybe a lower handicap can join us and we can synch up with your tempo!

Grom stand bag
SQ 5900 - 9.5*
Burner 15* and 18*
MT 20* Hybrid

I just remembered the story about you guys playing at Rustic Canyon with your single that joined you. Rustic is the only course I have ever been to where I have been paired up with people who acted like that on the course. My buddy and I were matched up with another pair, and those guys were REALLY serious about the money they had on the game. EVERY time they would mess up a shot even slightly, all we would hear was SH*T! F***! DAMMIT! etc. One time one of the guys yelled out SH** something like 15 times in a row, just went on and on and on, got angry looks from people on other fairways, etc. The guy was yelling as loud as he could. My buddy and I were in our cart watching him take his shot from about 100 yards away and we could not help but chuckle, trying hard not to laugh out loud.

The other guy in the group would always whine "oh yoooooouuu have the touch" or "I wish I had touch like thaaaaattt...." every time someone would make a good chip or putt. LOL he was so sorry for himself. Rustic Canyon is also very serious about not playing OB balls, for environmental reasons. This same guy had sliced into the mountain right behind a sign that specifically said OUT OF BOUNDS.

My buddy and I just didn't know what to do with these guys! All we could do was ignore it so we could enjoy our game. Never had a problem with distractions since then, I believe I have experienced the worst of it now. :)

Grom stand bag
SQ 5900 - 9.5*
Burner 15* and 18*
MT 20* Hybrid

• 2 weeks later...

Going to play Lost Canyons this weekend for the first time. I will be playing the Shadow course. I don't quite think im ready for a course that hard but I didn't book it, im along for the ride with friends. Any words of advice on this course? Since i won't be playing for the back tees it doesn't look like distance will be an issue at all, seems like this course is all about accuracy (not my specialty)

In my Golf bag
Big Bertha Irons
60* wedge
Hi-Bore Hybrid 3

I would play the farthest forward tees that they have a men's slope/rating for.

Grom stand bag
SQ 5900 - 9.5*
Burner 15* and 18*
MT 20* Hybrid

so I ended up playing BOTH courses at Lost canyons this past weekend here is a quick review:

Shadow course: This is a VERY VERY hard course, well above my ability right now. this is the type of course where you leave the driver in the bag, shot planning and accuracy is key. Way too many blind shots IMO. This course needs to be played a few times before you learn it. The par 3's are wicked. Greens were awesome.

Sky course: This course is a much better course than shadow. The course design is well above that of shadow course. Very difficult still but so much fun. Some long par 4's here but they give you room to work with on the fairway unlike shadow course. The par 3 17th hole is wild. I LOVE this course and will be playing it as often as i can. I think I can call this my new fave course.

All in all both of these courses are like nothing i have played before. if your going to play I say SKY course is the one you want. I can't stop thinking about that course.

In my Golf bag
Big Bertha Irons
60* wedge
Hi-Bore Hybrid 3

Note: This thread is 4947 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!