IGNORED

Why when you see a 250-260yd drive, it's a bomb!

jcard71
Note:Β This thread is 5429 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

When tour pros average 280 yard dirves that doesnt mean they are only measuring shots with the Driver. Average drives include all tee shots whether they are using a driver or a 3 wood.

However in most of our cases, we say "average drives" are just when we use a driver. We only use our drives(driver only) and average those distances whereas a pro takes all tee shots(driver/3 wood/hybrid) and averages those distances.

Thus I have a very tough time believing amatuers( even single digit players ) can average 275-285 yards even if they only take the drives that are hit with a Driver. Reason being is that everybody has bad shots that don't even go 200 yds but somehow those drives don't count when calculating avg driving distance. Average drives seem to be viewed as the average distance you hit a driver on a semi-good to solid hit.

Watch the college kids bomb drives,then you can understand that 250yds seem like nothing to them. Touring pros bomb it just like the college kids but are just so much more accurate and consistent. Ask those guys what they can average if they hit a Driver solid. That number would be a lot more than275.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you doubt that guy can average 300-305? just deal with it and accept it.

Hell in 20 balls on a driving range I can average 300 yards WITH RANGE BALLS.

Take me on the course and I will either top half of them duck hook and hit 5 or 6 200 yards. I might hit one or two a round for 300 plus.

Some people just have the athletecism to uncoil on a ball.

GIVE ME $500,000 and tell me to "perfect" the 300 yard drive on a course and send my family to disney for 6 months and I could do it too.

Why would you doubt that guy can average 300-305? just deal with it and accept it.

You are an idiot

R9 with 757 Speeder
mp 57 3-pw project x 6.0 flighted
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

You are an idiot

That's a good, easy,way to put it

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

Sorry dude, you ARE NOT AVERAGING 300-305YD drives, Tour Pros dont average that...You MADE MY POINT!

For the past year or so, I measure almost all of my drives with my SkyCaddie SG5, and I do infact average that much. A long drive for me is up around 310+ yards.

I'm not subtracting my distance to the hole from the number on the scorecard; I'm using actual GPS distance to measure my drives. You can't get any more accurate than that.

Actually, you are wrong. They choose two holes each tournament and use those to calculate driving average.

Copy pasted from PGAtour.com: The average number of yards per measured drive. These drives are measured on two holes per round. Care is taken to select two holes which face in opposite directions to counteract the effect of wind. Drives are measured to the point at which they come to rest regardless of whether they are in the fairway or not. (101)
When tour pros average 280 yard dirves that doesnt mean they are only measuring shots with the Driver. Average drives include all tee shots whether they are using a driver or a 3 wood.

In my bag:

R9
Burner 3w
Burner 5w Burner Plus 4I-SW 60* LW, 52* GW Rossa Spider putter

I guess for you guys its a hard pill to swallow. The 3rd grade behavior reminds me of my kids.

MSD I have no doubts in your ability, I personally use google earth and yes the driving range(s) where I can drive balls that carry 280+ make it quite clear to me that I can do it on the course with more practice, I just happen to be making way too much money to spend 20 hours a week on a golf course. $500k would be the $$$ I need to justify my income, YES I MATCH THAT. The family going away is for lack of distraction.

I started playing less than 3 years ago, so far my best score is an 86 in less than 80 rounds played, I am happy with that, for now. I cant "retire" on my income, Im only 36. How long have you guys been playing? Ahh must be arrogant golfers, the best.

I had a scramble in MAY and had a drive spotted with a gps, from one in my foursome, and it was 278 uphill into a 2 club wind. I understand driving ranges are elevated, I still launch balls over their nets at 280 carry, the nets are 35 feet high- equal to the height of my tee.

It becomes evident to me that Im a rarity when the clogged 10th tee starts crowding behind me to watch me hit ball after ball over the range net 280 yards away. Im still not giving it everything I have, but that only means more mishits.

I play an X-shaft with a TM RD5 ...9.5*.

If I had time to hit the range and figure out the disconnect from the range play to the tee; I would be averaging 260-280 or more. When you worm burn a ball 50 yards or top a ball and it bounces off the ladies tee for 100 yards the average sinks. I cant figure it out, but then again its not my top priority.

I've said it before and I'll say it again (to the pleasure of many sandtrappers) - Who the f*** cares?

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

I've said it before and I'll say it again (to the pleasure of many sandtrappers) - Who the f*** cares?

Hallelujah

In the Bag:

Driver 10.5 r7 460 ti Reax regular shaft
3 Wood 15.5 LD F Speed Aldila NV stiff shaft
Hybrids 19 Tour Burner Rescue Reax stiff shaft. 21 degree torch series saber shaftIrons Sliver Scot 4-pw Rifle 5.0 shaftsSand Wedge 56 Degree Cg10 Black pearl finish 2 dotLob Wedge 60...

I'm a 19 handicapper and I average 260 yards with my drives....measured with a GPS. That means there are lower and higher yardages. Problem is.....I only measure my really good drives and pretend all the rest never happened .... lol

[edit]: I also forget about roll, and pretend it's all carry...lol

Driver: Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5*, Fit-On Red Shaft
3 Wood: Callaway Big Bertha 16*
Hybrid: HiBore 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-25 4-PW, 2* Flat
Wedges: CG11 50* (2*Flat),54*(1*Flat),58*(1*Flat) Low Bounce AllPutter: Yes! DiannaBall of Choice: Srixon AD333, Wilson ZIP, TF Gamer

I'm a 19 handicapper and I average 260 yards with my drives....measured with a GPS. That means there are lower and higher yardages. Problem is.....I only measure my really good drives and pretend all the rest never happened .... lol

That is no average.

This thread has been repeated. People lie. Not many players average more than 25o.

Brian

That is no average.

Meant as a joke, the only measuring good drives, and not considering carry should have given it away......

Wedges: CG11 50* (2*Flat),54*(1*Flat),58*(1*Flat) Low Bounce AllPutter: Yes! DiannaBall of Choice: Srixon AD333, Wilson ZIP, TF Gamer

Meant as a joke, the only measuring good drives, and not considering carry should have given it away......

It seems like reality for so many that it is hard to recognize it, But the joke is understood.

Brian

It seems like reality for so many that it is hard to recognize it, But the joke is understood.

Agreed....that's what led me to the post....

Actually, you are wrong. They choose two holes each tournament and use those to calculate driving average.

I wouldn't say he's wrong. The PGA does only measure two holes per 18, but they only measure the distance. Mileydog's post was pointing out that those measurements aren't always for the players driver. A long hitter might hit his driver 300+ yards and could take 3 wood/Hybrid off the two holes they measure and average 275 yards in driving distance, but this wouldn't be an accurate estimate of how far they can actually hit their driver.

In my Ogio Carry Bag,

Driver Titleist 905S 9.5*
3 Wood Titleist 906F2 15*
Hybrid Nickent 3DX DC 17* Irons Titleist 704.cb 3,5-PW Wedges Adams Tom Watson PVD 52*, 56*, 60*Putter Cleveland Classic 1Ball Nike One Tour, Callaway Tour i

250 has never been far. You can play golf, sure, but it's no Bomb. 300yrds seems to be everyone's goal, because that's a great average for the tour. Even back in the day, with the old persimmon clubs, people put em out there far. And with the technology today it's not uncommon at all to see 300's. The key word would be "average". One drive goes 290, next goes 310: 300 average. Someone can't hit 270-300 and say they have a 300avg... Look at the long drive championship. 370+yrds is typical. Longer shafts and lower loft help, but their swings are downright brutal. There is not a conservative hair on their head when they are swinging. But they are still fluid. They could probably hit a ball with a dustbroom farther than most people's average drive. The reason 280 plays for Rocco is the rest of his game "contends". If there was a long drive champion with a pga tour short game, the golf world would have a real menace on it's hands. I've always noticed that the people who treat golf like a sport invariably hit it farther than those who treat it like a game.

In my bag:
r7 9.5, 47"
18* burner rescue 08
x-18, 3-Pw
cg14 camo, 52* 56* 60* DFX 5500, blade, $70 jewel.. ........Jack herer....mountain dew......You know you wanna play here, pony up::http://www.lakeofisles.com/golf/nort...seflyover.html

Note:Β This thread is 5429 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!