IGNORED

Official Thread: 2009 U.S. Open (Bethpage)

Gioguy21
Note: This thread is 5442 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone miss Oakmont and Wingedfoot where the winning score was OVER par? I think the courses need to toughen up what do you think?

Only 8 guys either broke or shot par for the entire tournament. How much tougher do you want it? Or do you have a cryptic golf sense of humor where you want to see 300 yard par threes?

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I'm not a fan of arbitrarily brutal course setups. I can handle a tournament like that at Winged Foot or Oakmont every once and a while, but I don't want to see +5 winning scores year in, year out.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

haha mate are you serious! 5 people were under par for the whole tournament! how much tougher do you want it?

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

what I'm saying is that with today's technology the courses should be tougher the talent is there make them prove how good they truly are

I was watching guys - guys who ended up in the top 10 - shooting out of waist-high grass and bunkers all weekend long. The winning score was 4 under par, and only a handful were under par.

I think it was tough enough.

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

After a disappointing start to this U.S. Open, I think it turned out to be pretty entertaining. Congrats to Lucas Glover (and yet another major win for team Nike, lol).

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

I was watching guys - guys who ended up in the top 10 - shooting out of waist-high grass and bunkers all weekend long. The winning score was 4 under par, and only a handful were under par.

It would have been tougher if the course wasnt playing like a wet sponge. The winning score could have easiely been 5 shots higher if the course was firm. I know on 15 (with me playing up) that green is hard to hold with a middle iron in its normal state, let alone the long irons and hybrids those guys were sticking in there under US open conditions. Granted im only a 4 handi, but ive never scored better than a bogey on that hole in the 6 times ive played it.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

My only disappointment was the greens. Conditions and the designs simply did not create the drama normally associated with the fear factor of firm, fast, contoured greens that cause such excitement at typical US Opens. Once on the green, it seemed not too challenging to 2 putt or make longer type putts without the fear of going by the hole 10 feet. All the terror had to be created with length and sometimes unplayable rough. Otherwise it was lawn darts into the greens. Can't control the weather.

RC

• Administrator
what I'm saying is that with today's technology the courses should be tougher the talent is there make them prove how good they truly are

Did you bother to catch the weather over the weekend? Jeepers.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Did you bother to catch the weather over the weekend? Jeepers.

Yeah, seriously. If it were extremely dry (like it is a lot of time in June around the U.S.) I'm pretty confident the winning score would not have been under par. But since it was so wet, it was ideal scoring conditions. And the par 4's were already playing brutally long, alot of guys were hitting hybrid's and low irons in, which is rare for a PGA Tour player on a part four to hit hybrid to 5 iron...

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

sure if it were dry the greens would have been quicker but let's not forget that the fairways were the widest they've been in almost 5 years!

Anyone miss Oakmont and Wingedfoot where the winning score was OVER par? I think the courses need to toughen up what do you think?

I think you clearly know nothing about the game.

The weather destroyed all the preparation they had made for the open. I mean - there was going to be a par 4 of 525 yards. The rain made the greens slower than you'd expect. What do you want tom see? Guys chopping out sideways when they miss a fairway and one putt pars a necessity if you miss a fairway? Who wants to see that?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

It has been said and written a hundred times, but they do deserve all the praise in the world: Craig Currier, Head Superintendent at Bethpage, and his entire crew. They had to work tirelessly as their "masterpiece" was turned into a soggy quagmire by Mother Nature. Should the US Open return to their course? You betcha.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Note: This thread is 5442 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!