IGNORED

What is your biggest pet-peeve in Golf?

rckwd
Note: This thread is 2485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Commentators with the exception of Feherty and McCord perhaps. Hearing that so and so is the best at such and such is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Commentators with the exception of Feherty and McCord perhaps. Hearing that so and so is the best at such and such is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Johnny Miller is insufferable. I cannot bear to listen to that man speak any longer.

What is it with baseball managers and coaches wearing uniforms like they're going to jump into the game at some point? ("Now playing shortstop, Don Zimmer!")

LOL...couldnt you just see Don jumping out there

Exactly...last week I got SO tired of hearing in reference to Tiger; He's the best, your watching the best, here comes the best there is.....I mean go ahead proclaim your undieing love...get real

The "Get in the Hole!" in golf is horrible ... why in the hell do people seem to yell that all the time. And you always see some yahoo trying to be the first one to yell it right after the player has taken his shot. Those people should be thrown out.

The next one is the pace of play in golf ... it's awful. In our club tournaments we are penalized if we don't keep pace with the group in front of us. Ah ... no more 6 hour rounds (unless it's playing muni's on the weekend!).

Callaway X-18 Irons | TaylorMade R5 Driver, 200 Steel 3 Wood | Cleveland Golf CG-14 Gap & Sand Wedge | Titleist Vokey Lob Wedge | Odyssey White Hot Putter | Titleist ProV1 Ball | Bushnell Pro 1600 Tournament Edition Laser Rangefinder

The "Get in the Hole!" in golf is horrible ... why in the hell do people seem to yell that all the time. And you always see some yahoo trying to be the first one to yell it right after the player has taken his shot. Those people should be thrown out.

exactly...we were asked (by sending a rep in a cart) if we were "doubling back" because we took 2.5 hours on the front nine. We as old guys had taken a break a couple of times and had let 2 groups play thru...but yet we wer the one being pushed

And I totally understand that sometimes there are holes where things fall apart ... believe me I have had super bad holes where I am the one slowing things down. But, as you said, you let the groups behind you play through & all is forgiven. I'm sure the people you let play through were very thankful!

Callaway X-18 Irons | TaylorMade R5 Driver, 200 Steel 3 Wood | Cleveland Golf CG-14 Gap & Sand Wedge | Titleist Vokey Lob Wedge | Odyssey White Hot Putter | Titleist ProV1 Ball | Bushnell Pro 1600 Tournament Edition Laser Rangefinder

The 'Get in the Hole' yell drives me crazy. Especially on tee shots. Come on people....

I also hate at amatuer sporting events when fans boo their own team. I think people should support student athletes not belittle them!!

3rd down screen passes in football. I can almost guarantee you've never seen that listed as a pet peeve or even poor strategy, because the football media -- unlike baseball -- is inept in terms of real world stats and strategy, but it's incredible what a wasted play that is.

I worked in a sports stat office during football season for years and the entire room used to burst into laughter when teams called 3rd down screens. You might as well kneel down. The percentage of success is abysmal. I remember a Penn St/FSU matchup in the Orange Bowl a few years ago when I think the success rate was 1 out of 18, including the overtimes. Yet the wimpy offensive coordinators insist on calling that play because it seems cute and they know they will never be ridiculed as too conservative. Fans love screen passes for some absurd reason.

Top defenses are not going to let you throw an ultra safe pass behind the line of scrimmage on 3rd down and waltz for a vital first down. That play only works against mush defenses, the type that basically can't stop anything. Then the offenses fail to differentiate between caliber of opposition and continue to call the 3rd down screen a week later versus a high caliber opponent and get stuffed. As a Canes fan I remember screaming when Dorsey threw a worthless 3rd and 10 screen against Ohio St late in the famous Fiesta Bowl. The Buckeyes had aggressive safeties and had annihilated 3rd down screens all year. Sure enough, that was the play that busted up Willis McGahee's knee.

Last year the Big 12 had an unusually high percentage of success in 3rd down screens, particularly in the red zone. It was a tipoff how overstated and soft that conference was, heading into the bowl games. Notice that Oklahoma tried cute short passes in the red zone against Florida in key situations, including the end of the first half, but was mauled and denied by a stout SEC defense.

The "Get in the Hole!" in golf is horrible ...

It's horrible period.

Went to a move, and right in the middle of some romantic scene someone yells "Get in the hole!"
  • Upvote 1

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

Defenses in SEC tend to be that way...LOL

There's a reason they call Sanford Stadium the largest classroom on campus. It's where Georgia teaches other schools how to play football.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

There's a reason they call Sanford Stadium the largest classroom on campus. It's where Georgia teaches other schools how to play football.

The man knows his football

My biggest pet peeve in football is 3rd and long give up plays. You know, screens, draws, and any other play that makes it seem like the Offensive Coordinator gave the clipboard to an intern.

The club selection of a true hacker:

Driver: Nike Dymo2 SQ
3 and 5 Wood: Nike Dymo2 SQ
Irons: Adams Idea Tech OS Hybrid Irons (5-PW)
Wedges: Maxfli 56* and 60*
Putter: Odyssey White Ice #1 in Copper

I hate the "get in the hole" also.

As for Nascar, I don't understand why horses win horseraces, but drivers "win" car races? I can't say I've ever watched more than 5 seconds of any car race, just because it bores me out of my mind. But I've never understood that.

As for the 3rd down give-up plays, I'm not saying they shouldn't be a pet peeve, but it does make sense from a football perspective. Obviously, entertainment-wise, we'd love for teams to toss it up on 3rd & long and try to make the first. But unless you've got a very smart QB (manning, brady and maybe brees are the only 3 I'd trust right now), you've got a better chance to win if you cut your losses on 3rd down, try to make a few yards for field position, and punt it away on 4th. If the defense knows you have to make 15 yards for a first down, they're going to have the secondary sitting back and the line and maybe a LB or two rushing the QB. That's why the screen and draw make sense, since they're plays that work against a pass rush. Offensive coordinators get paid to win, not to entertain. If you'd made positive yards on 1st and 2nd down, you wouldn't need 15 on 3rd, so why would you risk a turnover to try and get the 1st?

What's in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag:

Driver - Taylormade Superfast 2.0 TP 10.5
3 Wood - Taylormade Burner 15* REAX
Hybrid - Adams Idea Pro 18* GD YSQ-HL

Irons - Callaway X-18 4-PW

GW - Cleveland 588 51*

SW - Cleveland CG 12 56*

LW - Cleveland CG15 60*

Putter - Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

Bushnell Medalist rangefinder

At the Memorial a few years ago Fred Couples hit a ball past the green and into our section of the crowd and atleast 100 people showed up in less than 20 seconds.

But i would have to say my biggest sport pet peeve is when a spectator at a baseball game gets in an argument with the umpire. This also happens too much at basketball games. More ay highschool events than anything. Although it does add some excitement, it shouldnt be brought to any school event.

Note: This thread is 2485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!