IGNORED

How much do you practice?

senorchipotle
Note: This thread is 5337 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm a high-handicapper and can only practice more often at the range than the course. But to make my practice rounds productive at the range I do the following:

* Take a few practice swings on the mat - helps me get my groove if I'm hitting fat or thin (or on the hosel)
* Consider the results of every shot - if something went wrong or I didn't like the shot I try to consider the problem's source and what to change on the next swing
* Play a practice hole with the targets, and switch out a club for each swing and pick a new target each time (like one does on the real course)

Switching out the club at the range has helped me a lot, as now when I pull out different club I typically hit it pretty well without having to take a lot of practice swings.

I realize a few problems using the range for practice include being unable to hit from uneven lies or the rough. If the range doesn't have a bunker then you can't get any practice in with the sand. Hopefully I can squeeze in more actual golf rounds this year so I can practice under real course conditions.

2011 Goals:
* Improve club-head speed to 90 mph with the driver
* Ensure increased speed does not compromise accuracy
* Prevent overextending on the back-swing (left-arm is bending too much at the top)
* Relax arms initially at address ( too tense)* Play more full rounds (failed from 2010)

Beau Rials, Mike Bennett (Medicus Advisor, PGA Tour Instructor), Bob Koch (Inventor of Medicus Dual-Hinge Driver) giving the Medicus Swing Trainer make or break points to your golf swing. The ways you can use your Medicus Swing Trainer to improve your golf game.

The upper body continues to rotate turning slightly away from the target while keeping the right elbow close to the right hip. As the hands travel around the body and continue to cock/set, the Medicus Swing Trainer will become parallel to the target line and parallel to the ground with the toe pointing towards the sky.

COMMON FAULTS:
A. Weight transferred to the left instead of the right (reverse pivot).
B. Over-rotation of hands, causing the clubface to travel too far inside.
C. Continuation of B above.
D. Right elbow pushed away from the right hip and the club lifted outside the target line.

• 3 months later...

During the warm months, I go to the course on my lunch hour from work and will mostly practice short game (chipping & putting). On occasion I'll hit balls at the range. Then, I'll play 9 holes after work ... usually at least 3 times a week.

On the weekends I'll play 18 once or twice. I'm in a league so we have tournaments about every other weekend.

What kills me is the winter months when there isnt' enough sunlight to get out during the day. It's already getting cold & wet here in Colorado, and there isn't much daylight left after work. So I'm rarely playing after work. I'll still try to go to the course at lunch, but after work I usually just go back to the course & practice.

One thing that is good is that the course is pretty empty at night now, and the starters appear to be gone for the day. So I'll jump out on a hole that's close to the range & either play it or hit a bunch of balls from 100-150 yards in.

Plus the course aeration schedules are happening now, so the greens on the courses are a nightmare to play on for a month or so.

During the winter months, I rarely even pick up a club because it's usually cold. The bad thing is, I lose my swing & have to restart all over again in the spring. I've tried putting on the carpet inside, but it's alot slower than a real green & I'd probably learn to hit putts way harder than I need to on the grass when I start playing next season.

It sucks when you see that some of the lower handicap guys hardly practice It's no fair!

Callaway X-18 Irons | TaylorMade R5 Driver, 200 Steel 3 Wood | Cleveland Golf CG-14 Gap & Sand Wedge | Titleist Vokey Lob Wedge | Odyssey White Hot Putter | Titleist ProV1 Ball | Bushnell Pro 1600 Tournament Edition Laser Rangefinder

This is pretty much my daily routine:

6am-9am chipping and putting

10am-4pm hit wedges inside 100 yards

4pm-6pm play on the course

7pm-8pm bunker

8pm - 9pm hit balls with woods, long irons, mid irons

Golf is a game in which the ball always lies poorly and the player always lies well.

Wow LongballGer, that's literally a FULL day of golf :) How old are you & what do you do for work that you can spend that much time at golf?

Callaway X-18 Irons | TaylorMade R5 Driver, 200 Steel 3 Wood | Cleveland Golf CG-14 Gap & Sand Wedge | Titleist Vokey Lob Wedge | Odyssey White Hot Putter | Titleist ProV1 Ball | Bushnell Pro 1600 Tournament Edition Laser Rangefinder

Wow LongballGer, that's literally a FULL day of golf :) How old are you & what do you do for work that you can spend that much time at golf?

I'm 20. I'm not working atm.

I got a couple months off and then I start the PGA/PGM program so that I can start playing on the EPD tour.

Golf is a game in which the ball always lies poorly and the player always lies well.

I'm 20. I'm not working atm. I got a couple months off and then I start the PGA/PGM program so that I can start playing on the EPD tour.

Man I'm jealous!

Six hours a day hitting wedges inside 100yds, hehehe...

Sorry that just kind of strikes me as funny. Probably what it takes to play at the professional level, but damn...

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

I practice whenever I can, which is very often. I try to play once a week, but don't always get out. I usually get to the range if I don't play that week. But most of my practice time is in my own yard. I hit whiffle balls around the yard and I have an awesome golf digest pin with a cup that I got for my birthday. Although I can't putt because my grass is very long, it is great for practicing pitches, chips, flops, and even full shots with wiffle balls. I often set myself up with an obstacle right between me and the pin, and try to hit wiffle balls as close as I can to it. It really helps woth learning to shape shots better. I also spend a lot of time practicing putts and short chips inside, my carpet is very much like a real green. If you have a small yard like me (less than a half acre), get creative with your drills and you'll start improving in no time. Again, you are much better than me, so you've probably mastered everything I'm still working on, but you get the idea.

In my White/Red/Yellow Monza Featherweight Stand Bag:
Driver: 07 Burner 9.5* stiff
3 Wood: 07 Burner 15* stiff
5 Wood: 07 Burner 18* stiff
Irons 4-AW: r7 steel shaft stiffWedges: RAC Satin 56*, 60*Putter: Rossa Daytona 35 InchBall: Bridgestone e7+, Titleist Pro V1Shoes: D3000Glove: ...

PRACTICE? .... PRACTICE? We are not talking about a game,but PRACTICE? Practice... practice? Not a real game, not something that matters, but practice? Oh, got side tracked. I practice putting a lot.. not on drills, but putting games, especially short putts. I also have round that I try different shots and hit more than one ball, but I don't beat balls on the range. I get bored too easily.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

I play about 4 to 7 rounds a month .
Hardly go to the range but I do practice putting at home , about 5 to 8 hrs in a week.
Now I putt about <32 putts per round .
My short game and chopping around the green is okay and always give me short putt to the hole.
But I know if I need to go a few shots lower than current handicap , I have to put a lot of time at the range .

To work on my long iron and 3 wood.
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

I work at a gas station just to pay for my golf needs

I work 4 days a week 9.5 hours a day

and I play twice a week and hit 2-3 buckets of balls a week

4dx hybrid Graphite Irons
3-4 Hybrid
Pipe Putter
Titleist Pro V1...I lose enough of em
Revolver Pro 440sz

I play 18 holes at least once a week. I hit up the driving range though about 4 times a week. My range has a really cool special that when I buy balls Monday - Friday before 6 pm they give me double for free.

Big Bertha Diablo Driver
Big Bertha Diablo 3 Wood
Big Bertha Diablo 5 WoodBig Bertha Diablo BallsX-18 4-SW Irons

Practice Every day for 2 hours. 1 hour on the range hitting from wedges through all my clubs to driver. Try to vary shots from draws to fades. Also I play in a lot of wind so am working alot on knockdowns and punches.

Then the other hour is short game. Chipping, putting and bunker game.

I used to work mostly on 3-4 footers and lag putts from 20, 30 and 40 feet. But the last few weeks have changed it a bit after a 36 putt round. (my average putts/round is 31). So I have been doing drills from 6, 8 and 10 feet and this my last few rounds have been incredible putting.

I sometimes practice another hour or so in the evening, then it is normally more putting and chipping.

Biggest problem for me is GIR. I putt well, get up and down alot, drive well. But I only hit 6/7 GIR per round. Need to improve this.

By the way longballger, I see u use a Mizuno fli hi 21. How is it? I have been thinking of replacing my Ping G10 21 degree hybrid due to too high a ball flight.

PING G10 : 10.5*, TFC129 : Stiff - 44"
PING G10 : 15* and 18* : Grafalloy Blue - Stiff - 42 1/2"
PING G10 : 3 Hybrid : Grafalloy Blue - Stiff
Mizuno : MP Fli Hi 4 Iron - DGS300
Mizuno : MP 60 : 5-PW - DGS300Callaway Tour Wedges : 52*and 58*Wilson PutterGoals : Get to the next level. Stuck on a...

Instead of lunch at work, I'm lucky to have a course with a good practice area about 5 minutes away, so lately I "eat lunch" at the course. I'm reading "The Keys to the Effortless Golf Swing" by Michael McTiegue and committed myself to do what he suggests in the book. I hit a small bucket, then chip and putt. I've been doing this, weather permitting, for several weeks now. Before that, I'd make it to the range maybe once a week or so.

I wish I had the budget and time to get out and play more, but.....

Note: This thread is 5337 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!