IGNORED

Did you like the 18th hole set up in the final round at Bethpage?

eahollis4
Note: This thread is 5438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

350 yards. A perfect set up for an anti choke hole. I hated it one bogey on it all day in the final round. Since the pin was up hardly any birdies either. They should have moved the tees back 100 yards or moved them up 50 and made it a driveable par 4.
Driver: Adams insight A4 Prototype
loft 9.0 face 2 degrees open
Matrix Ozik X high kick point
3 wood Tour Edge Exotic CB2
loft 15 Mitsubishi Fubiki XHybrid Cleveland launcer 3I Aldila NV XIrons ...

350 yards. A perfect set up for an anti choke hole. I hated it one bogey on it all day in the final round. Since the pin was up hardly any birdies either. They should have moved the tees back 100 yards or moved them up 50 and made it a driveable par 4.

Yeah, I agree with this. It didn't make for much drama because it was really a boring hole for a U.S. Open finishing hole. Like you said, if you push the tee up a little bit maybe some players will go for it and can make birdies and pick up a stroke. But that pin and distance made it kind of boring...it wasn't too challenging, yet wasn't too easy.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I thought it was fine. A birdie was to be had on that hole if you hit a good shot into the green. If you didnt, then you had to make a good putt. It was a fair final hole, IMO.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

• Administrator
They moved it up because they had to avoid the bog that was the first half of the fairway. It really had no different reason than that. They didn't want the pace of play impact from people trying to take relief from casual water and they didn't want the U.S. Open decided on a mudball on the final hole.

Given all that, they made the best decision they could.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My first thought was that it was going to be boring and not tough enough for a finishing hole. Once I saw how hard it was to hit it close to that front pin from where they were almost forced to drive the ball, I changed my mind. Trying to get that little flip wedge close was tough.

I agree, I think they did a good job with what they had.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

If tiger... being 3-4 down coming to that tee box, didn't try to drive the green, it was not driveable, which would have been fun. I agree they made it too hard to birdie and to easy to par.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

Bethpage needs a different 18th hole for the US Open IMO.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

I agree. It was a patty cake hole---not fitting for the last hole in a Major. Lucas Glover was so smart---6 iron off the tee, and a 9 iron on the green for an easy par.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Note: This thread is 5438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!