IGNORED

Clubs too short for my height?

Note: This thread is 3165 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm 6'2 and after watching others play I feel as though I have to bend my knees quite a bit more than them so that I don't top the ball. It seems like the pros and most others are mostly standing when they hit the ball (with a slight bend at the knees), but when I get in my stance with my back straight and not choking on the grip, I have to flex my knees a lot more than what I've seen (or so it seems). My 5 iron is just over 37" from the end of grip to the sole, and my 9 iron is almost 36". When standing (and with the club completely vertical) the top of the grip is 6-7" below my hip bone. Is this a normal fitting? I'm not looking to replace my clubs, I'm mostly just curious.

I'm 6ft 5 and recently got my first set of custom fit clubs. What a difference! I needed an inch and a half longer which is taking some getting used to but I'm not hunched over nearly as much as I was before.

I'm 6'4" (and a quarter) and play pings +1 silver dot. I used to play standard length and the transition took a bit of work but I would say my swing feels much less cramped and more consistent now. Definitely getting a club fitting with someone who knows what they are doing makes a difference because it isn't just down to height.

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

I am 6' 2" and my set is standard length, two degrees upright.  What I don't like about extending shafts in an existing club is that it changes the swing weight IMO.  This should make the swing weight heavier.  But beware, I am not club builder.

I got fitted for Pings a couple of years ago.  The static fit was maroon and 1/2 inch long.  I probably should have gone with that, because I am not a very good golfer.  Instead I let them talk me into slightly less upright clubs, slightly longer, after hitting on the range, using face tape.  I also got talked into steel shafts.  The issue is I am 6'2", but with very short arms and legs.  Shorter arms mean the muscles are not as long and therefore not as strong for any particular level of fitness.  I am also relatively stiff.  I would have been much better served with the more upright clubs from a static fitting, with graphite shafts, and then taking lessons to get my swing in the right place.

If you are really tall, you probably have long arms too.

I would guess there is not a huge difference in where your hands fall compared to the ground to that of somebody who is far shorter than you are.

I also though I needed longer clubs, I am 6'3", but compared myself to my friend who is 5'8" and our hands feel about the same distance away from the ground.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

If you are really tall, you probably have long arms too.

I would guess there is not a huge difference in where your hands fall compared to the ground to that of somebody who is far shorter than you are.

I also though I needed longer clubs, I am 6'3", but compared myself to my friend who is 5'8" and our hands feel about the same distance away from the ground.

I am tall enough, but contrary to the laws of probability, my arms and legs are short.  I am 6'1" but my wrist crease to floor dimension is 38.75". This has all kinds of implications for a golf swing.  The answer I prefer is clubs with more upright lies.  Such clubs can be relatively short, therefore needing less muscle strength to control.  There are also likely a lot of other issues about trying to make my swing effective with such a long torso, but it seems to me the starting point has to be a set of clubs that let me get started well.  Three degrees upright and one inch long is a good start.  I think the Ping chart which suggests five degrees up and 1/4 inch long has some merit, though.  That would be maroon+ and 1/4 inch.  http://pinggolf-blob.ping.com/pinggolf/uploadedfiles/custom_fitting/ping_color_code_chart.pdf

The previous static fitting a few years back was with their old chart where maroon was five degrees upright.

Note: This thread is 3165 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!