IGNORED

What do YOU look for in a golf course?

Note: This thread is 5383 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The course doesnt have to be in impeccable condition, but it should be at least playable. Bunkers raked and free of weeds and greens that dont have too many of those brown dead patches in them.

I enjoy course designs that have some elevation changes and that give the player options to recover from poor shots around the greens if they have the game, and doesnt just penalize players just for the sake of it. For example, I played a course (in new hampshire i think it was) and on one particular hole, the fairway was sloped pretty good from right down to left. The approach required the player to hit a ball above their feet ( a hook lie) to a green that had a hazard and heavy waste area just to the left of the green. Not even 10 yards. Thats not clever deisgn, thats ametuerish bullcrap.

I guess a pinehurst #2 style course is what im getting at as my ideal course design. Penal in the proper places, but options to recover. I hate A to B style courses.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

1-I like FAST greens so you dont have to take full swings for 6 foot putts. The greens also have to roll relatively true.

2-I also like some hazards around the green ex. if you miss 5 yds on the wrong side you are in some weeds or fescue. Lots of greenside bunkers also. I like a course where you are punished for missing the green.

3- I like elevation change it makes it alot more challenging. Also some doglegs in both directions are nice and some of the doglegs have to be cuttable. The dogleg doesnt have to be so big that you have to take a 5 iron to not run out of fairway and then have a 190 yds aproach to a 310 yd hole(i played a course like this yesterday and hated it).

4-My preference is for the fairways to be tightly mowed-not rock hard but not soft either. Also no divots in the middle of the fairway. I really like thick rough too but not a lot of holes in it.

Thats about it.

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

Nice greens, well maintained fairways, and not too easy(as if thats possible), not too difficult or too long as I dont hit the ball a mile. Elevation changes make for interesting holes, especially on par 3's. Nice natural scenery too helps make it feel more like an experience if its a new course. Cost is another factor as if its a really nice course and not too expensive then i will play there more often. I recently played at a very nice course called Stone Creek just south of carbondale, Illinois. It had a a lot of interesting terrain, very well maintained and not expensive at all, $25 for 18 with a cart on a Sunday, there are a couple other courses in the area that charge much more. I think maybe the location helps because its so far out they feel maybe their rates need to be lower to compete.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

at this point in the season... im just looking for any course that doesnt have groups on teebox's... fw's... greens... on the same hole and on every hole on the course... 3 groups per hole max's out my tolerence and really gets me out of my game
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

I should clarify that I'm stricly talking about the golf course and its features, not how busy it is. Most of the greatest courses on the planet are packed to the gills. Nonetheless, they are still the greatest.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

I like a challenge, but I also enjoy the serenity golf brings. That said, I look for courses that encompass nature well.

Inside The Owl's bag:
DRIVER: Launcher 10.5
IRONS: Launcher 6-PW, #3, #4, #5 Hybrid
PUTTER: I-Series Anser
BALL: HX Hot Bite or Pro V1 SHOES: "Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots - but you have to play the...

I like a course where I'll be hitting no more than a 4i into the green. So about 410 would be the maximum yardage for a par 4. I also like faster greens, and narrow fairways to really punish the long hitters if they go way off line. I also like to see a couple water hazards.

Condition
Variance in shots/challenging(instead of hitting a straight shot at the same trajectory or aiming right at the pin)
Medium/Fast greens and fairways

Driver 2007 Burner 10.5
Hybrid 3DX RDC 3 Iron
Irons Di7 4-GW Irons
Wedges American Open 60*
Putter Black MaxBalls AD333's

cheap

I generally play muni courses, so I look for deals. But I will pay a few extra dollars if the course has a decent pace of play.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

1) Solitude. I played one course in Anahuac, TX that wasn't in the best condition... but it was in the middle of no where. It was a great feeling in the deep isolated corners of the course surrounded by nothing but a bunch of trees and grass. Since, obviously golf is too popular usually to have the course to yourself... I've found my favorite courses are the ones that, by design, create the feeling that you're the only one there. Nothing but you against the elements.

2) True Rolling Greens. The only thing that really frustrates me in golf is putting the ball perfectly and watching it dribbling up and down while zigzagging left and right while finishing up just hopping over the hole completely. I've played a few courses where I could putt and the ball was seemingly glued to the ground as it moved along the line I hit it -- there's a lot of satisfaction to be found in seeing that little ball roll so smoothly and silently.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

1)

anahuac, huh? i've never played in that neck of the woods. i'm from tyler, and we've got a few beautiful courses there. you should play 2 courses if you're ever that way, no make that three. 1. cascades 2. garden valley 3. pine dunes. i grew up playing at a place called ''hollytree'', but every other hole is lined with houses and kids selling lemonade. other than that, it's a beautiful course. sloped in the mid-40's and very challenging.

Note: This thread is 5383 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!