IGNORED

Dreaded Chicken Wing

Note: This thread is 3213 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Duff:  avoid the temptation to try to develop more distance right away.  Stay focused on this swing thought for a while until it becomes natural to you.  Examine how it affects other parts of your body and swing so that you understand it completely. If you start trying to do other things before you ingrain this move, you may lose it.

As Harvey Penick said:  you don't want to do too much with a swing all at onece. Make little changes and work with them for a while.  In his Little Red Book, he often repeats: just because a couple of aspirin helps your headache does not mean it is good for you to take the whole bottle.

Let me ask you this though: if a person swings around 105-107 and he was taking a much bigger, over the top swing with a 36.5 inch shafted driver and he hit it at least 275 to 300 when he hit the sweet spot....can that person develop enough club speed using the right form to equal or surpass that with a 45 inch shaft?

Did you mean 46.5"?

Going to 45" won't make a huge difference in speed. Some players hit a "shorter" driver longer because they hit it more solid.

can that person develop enough club speed using the right form to equal or surpass that with a 45 inch shaft?

I just wonder if my drastically over the top whip through the ball gave me more club speed in a type of cheating way that I won't ever be able to match with better form.

I would assume once I get the proper coil that I should be hitting the ball straighter AND further than ever before, but I'm curious what you think.

Yes that's the goal, better technique will lead to longer and straighter shots.

The driver is a club where you can "get away" with some swing flaws, ball is teed up, big club head and a bigger target. Tough for me to say whether the OTT move allowed you to swing faster. I'm guessing it didn't but it resulted in you hitting more straight pulls off the tee (you may have gotten into a habit of aiming right).

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ok thank you. I was getting a snap hook by coming over the top but still trying to swing "in to out." It was a bizarre swing but I never knew until I watched the video.

I was finally able to figure how how to post my videos so if anyone is interested it is My Swing (DuffMcGee). I would love to get some feedback. Thanks!

Thanks also to mvmac for the information.

:adams:  XTD Ti Driver 12* Stiff flex

:adams:  XTD Ti 4H 23* Stiff flex

:ping:  G10 4-W +1" Stiff flex

:odyssey:  White Hot Pro Havok 35"

Note: This thread is 3213 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!