IGNORED

Best Golf Ball for Me? Or, Could Pro V1's be causing more harm than good?

Note: This thread is 3945 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a question about golf ball selection and how it could effect your score. I have been a mid to high handicapper, who normally shoots in the mid 80's on an average day (low 80's on a good day & high 80's on a bad one). However, starting about a month after the golfing season began here in Indiana, I have lost the ability to do much of anything on the golf course. I will have rounds filled with great shots and horrible ones. I find I play great around the greens, but have no consistence at all any where else. Normally when the round ends, I end up shooting in the mid to high 90's. Very frustrating. Now, to the golf ball issue. I have recently (this season) started playing with used Pro V1's that I buy online. I will order AAA grade used Pro V1's (not the 2007 or 2009 ones and not the Pro V1x's) off of various web sites and am very happy with the quality. But, I am beginning to wonder if these balls may not be the best choice for me. Here is what I have found. I am great around the greens. I could always get a ball to stop, but with these balls, I can get them to zip back like a maniac. Checking up with little half wedges is no trouble, even from green side rough. However, it does little good to impress your friends with how much spin you can put on a ball from 120 out if, at the end of the day, you have shot a 98. Could these used Pro V1's be causing SOME of my problems? Obviously a ball can not be responsible for everything going wrong here. The worse I shoot, the less confidence I have, and the more I try to mess with my set up, swing, etc, causing more trouble. But, I know that along with that extra green side spin comes tremendous spin off of the driver, longer irons, etc. I seem to be loosing balls left and right a lot more than usual. What should be a small pull sometimes turns into a a big one. Same right. I am not good enough to really "work" the ball. I play best when I aim straight and fire straight. If I try to fade it, I end up slicing it. If I try to draw it, I end up duck hooking it. Could this added spin be causing SOME of my scoring troubles? And if so, what ball would you all suggest for me. I love the feel of the Pro V1, and hate to give up that green side feel, but maybe this ball it isn't for me. Should I be looking at the Pro V1X, or should I be looking at balls like the NXT Tour, HX Hot Byte, Nike Vapor, various Bridgestone e balls, etc? Cost isn't the issue. I just want the best possible ball for me to play the best round possible. Can any of you give me your opinion on this issue? Thanks, and I look forward to reading your posts.
In My Bags(s)... Main Set & Back Up Set

Driver: Rapture V2 9.o / G15 9.o (Stiff)
3 Wood: G15 15.5 / G10 15.o (Stiff)
5 Wood: G15 18.5 / G10 18.o (Stiff)Hybrid: G15 20.o / G10 21.o (Stiff)Irons & Wedges (4-L): Eye 2 +no+ / Eye 2 BeCu (Blue Dot / Stiff)Extra Wedge: 60.4 Satin Nickel Spin...

Spin is a double edged sword. It can help you manufacture a wide variety of shots, but as you allude to, it can be very hard to control and can lead to inconsistencies, especially on and around the green.

Given what you're telling us here, it certainly wouldn't hurt you to try a lower spin ball that will fly straighter and react a little more consistently for you when it hits the green. I'll leave recommendations for specific balls to those that have more personal experience with the various lower spinning balls than I do.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you're spinning the ProV1 too much, give the ProV1x a try. From the sounds of it, you'll still be able to stop the ball around the greens but it won't be spinning back off the green.
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

I use the V1 and V1X basicaly depending on where I'm playing, I play alot at a place with super sticky greens and I play the X, and vice versa.

It never hurts to play diffrent balls, If it raining or rained recently I'll even go to a distance ball like DT carry, or what ever I have in my bag.

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

Sounds to me like it may be the ball to a degree. What were you playing previously? You might also try mid level balls, as they should spin even less than the low spin premium balls. I have been playing the TM Burner LDP's and they are pretty nice.

Gary

Nakashima HTEC 460 9.5, 65g Fujikura Motore F1 (s)
Speedline 3W, 70-gram Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis
SQ 2 18 Deg. Hybrid, stock stiff graphite
R7 irons, 4-LW, stock stiff steel
White Steel 2-Ball SRT PutterSunMountain MPB bagIGolf Neo

I choose ball primarily from the amount of spin I get. Going to try the Pro V1x now, after playing with Pro V1 and struggling with too much spin on the short game. Distance vice there are some differences, but not dramatic. A few yards difference means little as long as you play the same ball and manage to get the distance control right.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The worse I shoot, the less confidence I have, and the more I try to mess with my set up, swing, etc, causing more trouble.

This, I'm sure, is your problem, not the ball (and the problem of every one else addicted to the brutal pastime). You are probably right, another ball may fit your game better, but all golfers (PGA to 30 handicappers) rely on the mental aspect of the game just as much as physical. That's what makes this game so frustrating and rewarding.

Personally, I started getting better when I stopped thinking of all the factors that were leading to my ugly scores. The swing is the thing, every thing else is polishing a turd

Try the Bridgestone E6+ and see what it does for you.

Sounds like it is early in the season for you.....perhaps things will fall into place on their own.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

This, I'm sure, is your problem, not the ball (and the problem of every one else addicted to the brutal pastime). You are probably right, another ball may fit your game better, but all golfers (PGA to 30 handicappers) rely on the mental aspect of the game just as much as physical. That's what makes this game so frustrating and rewarding.

Hi Ruckus,

O.K. I have a pretty nice swing and it gets complimented often but have not been polishing my turds. Could this be my distance control problem?I'll buy some polish tonight but my dad had always said that I didn't know shit from shinola so I hope I get the right product.

Duffy,

Striving every day to be the person my dogs think I am.

Driver; Ping G25, Fairway, Ping G25 3; Irons, Mizuno M59, wedges, Cleveland cg15, 54, 56, 60, Putter; See More Zack style.

I think what most people in the 80's are looking for is a ball with low spin off driver and good spin on irons to land softly on the greens on the approach. basically if you stick more greens on your approach, you don't need ridiculous spin to play miraculous greenside wedge shots. I've found many premium balls as well as mid level balls that i have liked. These include srixon z-star x's, TM TP Black, and Nike One's, as well as srixon trispeed, bridgestone e5+ and e6+ (depending on the way i hit driver on the particular day) and tm burner tp's. I seem to have found a happy combination of distance, spin, feel, durability and value in the Taylor Made Burner TP.

in my bag:

Driver: '08 Cobra F Speed LD 10.5 w/UST Proforce V2 Tour Flight stiff

Fairway: Adams Speedline Fast10 3-wood w/Aldila Wasabi stiff
Hybrid: Nickent 3dx 3H
Irons: Nike CCI forged 4-pw Wedges: Nike Victory Red 52 56 60 Putter: Rife Mr. Beasley Balls: Bridgestone B330-RX Tees: epoch

• 11 months later...
Personally I use either titleist prov1s or taylormade pentas. Taylormade tempas offer spin, control, distance and more accuracy. They are the worlds first five layer ball

• 2 years later...
I use the TM RBZ' Urethane's whenever I feel less confident about my swing. Pro V1's when it's going the way I want to. Our greens are slow and hard, so it's imperative to be able to stop the ball. Also: I gladly lose 10% distance for the nice smooth feel of these softer balls if it makes them stop on the greens :)

Note: This thread is 3945 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!