IGNORED

golf galaxy vs. Golfsmith vs. sporting goods

clearwaterms
Note: This thread is 5394 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's also not up to him as to what the store should carry. It's his job to sell items, but also get customers coming back and good reviews. So, he's going to recommend clubs/brands that WORK, and

Someone in a sporting goods store, contemplating a $30 Driver, probably doesn't HAVE a game! He's not going to be able to tell the difference between the $30 John Daly Dunlop, the $100 Taylor-Made, or the $500 Nike.

HiBore 10.5 driver
GT-500 3- and 5-woods
Bazooka JMax 4 Iron Wood
Big Bertha 2008 irons (4 and 5 i-brids, 6i-9i,PW)
Tom Watson 56 SW Two-Ball putter

I prefer the PGA tour Super Store, which is about the size of a walmart with 12 hitting bays, a full tennis court,a nd every golf related item you could ever imagine.

Okay, I'll bite. Why does the PGA Tour Super STore have a

tennis court?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Okay, I'll bite. Why does the PGA Tour Super STore have a

Because the same demographic that plays golf also plays tennis.

Same reason "Bass Pro Shop" sells hunting as well as fishing supplies. The same demographic that goes bass fishing also covers hunters.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

• 2 weeks later...
I just wanted to throw out a suggestion. Sometimes I see people on craigslist selling gift certificates for a few dollars cheaper than they're worth. They've usually won them in a tournament and would rather have the cash. If you're not sure you can trust them, you can always meet them at the store and have them buy what you want.

In my Acuity bag:

Driver: HiBore XL
Woods: Acuity 3 Wood and 3I-hybrid
Irons: Acuity oversized cavity backs 4 - PWWedges: Tourney Silver Scot 192Putter: Acuity half-malletBall: XL 5000 Super Straight

A couple years ago I would have said Golf Galaxy but since they were purchased by the parent company of Dick's Sporting Good they have reduced the brands and models they carry. I would have to say I prefer Golfsmith now. The closest one for me is in Columbus, OH, which is about 100 miles away, but I make a couple trips a year just for that. They have a lot more brands and models of equipment than Galaxy does now. I've been very disappointed in GG in the last couple years. I know buy more online or travel to Golfsmith or shop elsewhere when I'm on the road somewhere.

I agree, definitely fewer options, and prices on clothing and other non club items has increased markedly.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I prefer a gift card from a local sporting goods store or golf specialty store that I can drive to and can actually try out the clubs I'm interested in. I generally don't like to buy clubs online since you can't try them out. Honestly the general sporting goods stores often have the cheaper prices since the golf specialty stores seem to charge more just for the fact that they think people will shop there because they "specialize" in golf equipment.

stand bag:

Driver: DDH 10*
Woods: DDH 3W-15*, 5W-21*
Irons: DDH 3-SWWedge: VR LW 60*Putter: VSL

Both Golfsmith and the PGA Tour Superstore have great selections of left-handed equipment. For balls, I'll typically go to Dick's for whatever they have a good sale on.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

• 2 weeks later...
Have gone to Golf Galaxy, Golfsmith and Dick's all of which are within 20 minutes drive. I have to agree with a lot of the comments so far. Golf Galaxy has the best fitting area, Golfsmith has by far the best selection of used clubs and Dick's usually has the best price on balls (Bridgestone) that I play.

When in Myrtle Beach I spend quite a bit of time in Martins.

+1 for PGA Superstore. I have had good luck catching great deals on previous generation clubs that are brand new. I don't have the latest greatest so its right up my alley. I also like the number of hitting bays they have. IMO, there is nothing worse than standing in line to demo a driver.

In my Syncro:

Speedline 9032ls
Speedline 9032ti 14.5* Hybrid
Idea A1 17* 3Hybrid mx-25 3-PW vr 52.10 sm56.10 & sm60.04 Studio Select Squareback 1

I go back and forth between Golf Galaxy and Dicks Sporting Goods.

:cobra: Amp Driver 10.5*(R)
:tmade: Burner 3W 15*(R)
:tmade: Burner 2.0 Rescue 3-4
:titleist: 714 AP1 Irons 5-pw, gw(Steel XP95 R300)
:callaway: MD3 Wedges 56, 60
:nickent:Omen Long Putter(un-anchored)

So far I've gotten everything from Dick's Sporting Goods. I know I will get my outter and lobwedge there when I do also because they always run the ones I want half priced. When I get new irons, I will most likely go to Golf Galaxy to get fitted as there is one about 30 minutes from me. Dick's isn't bad for golf though. They just don't have a launch monitor. I've never actually been in golf galaxy yet.

In my White/Red/Yellow Monza Featherweight Stand Bag:
Driver: 07 Burner 9.5* stiff
3 Wood: 07 Burner 15* stiff
5 Wood: 07 Burner 18* stiff
Irons 4-AW: r7 steel shaft stiffWedges: RAC Satin 56*, 60*Putter: Rossa Daytona 35 InchBall: Bridgestone e7+, Titleist Pro V1Shoes: D3000Glove: ...

Note: This thread is 5394 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!