IGNORED

Have you been professionally fitted?

Quinn07
Note: This thread is 5115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Have you ever been professionally fittted?

• Yes
    • No

I did a quick search and found a few threads about getting fitted, but I am curious to know who here has actually been fitted and did you notice an immediate impact?

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no
always off the shelf
i have "fitted" myself for a driver shaft if that counts? haha!
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

My advice..don't get fitted until you have a decent game goin' for you (i.e. single dig handicap). Most irons are one size fit all except for really tall or short people. It's just a big hassel and if you change setup or posture you may be in trouble. So i mean it is a personal choice and more power to you if you do.

*Former High School Golfer*
*Playing at Cabrillo College starting Fall 2009*
* Taylormade R7 460 10.5 degree with ProForce V2 stiff shaft cut to 42"*
* Taylormade R7 TP 15 degree 5 wood
* Taylormade R7 TP 18 degree hybrid** Titleist AP2 3-PW w/ Project X 6.0** Titleist Vokey Design 52.10...

No, but i'm getting a new set of irons in the next couple weeks and i'm definitely going to get them fitted.

Lefty Golfer!
In my light stand bag:
R7 Limited Driver 9.5* Matrix Ozik xcon 5.5 Stiff Shaft
A3os 3 (19*) and 4 (22*) Hybrids Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff shafts
X-22's 5-AW Regular Flex Uniflex Steel Shafts X-Forged SW 56* & LW 60* 35" Studio Stainless Newport 2.5 ('04 version) with a...

No, cuz I hate having someone tell me what works best for me and I'm standard height, swing, grip, etc..so there is no need.

stand bag:

Driver: DDH 10*
Woods: DDH 3W-15*, 5W-21*
Irons: DDH 3-SWWedge: VR LW 60*Putter: VSL

Ha all no's so far.

I put no as well, because I don't count the few times I've hit off the launch monitor at Golfsmith or whatever as a fitting. I'd be interested to get a true professional fitting at a center with a good reputation some time, but for now I just do my own research about clubs, try hitting friends' clubs to compare, and I've even messed around with impact tape and stuff like that on my own.
Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

I got fit for my first set, a not-name-brand set of irons from a club-builder in Orange County. I was barely swinging at the time, so it was mostly static measurements, but even once I got into the swing, the clubs set up well at address. I firmly believe that it is easier to get good at golf if you start with well-fit clubs and lessons. Considering the former is no more expensive - and in some cases, less expensive - than off-the-shelf, I don't understand why people don't do this.

When I got my MP-57s, I got fit by the Mizuno representative and I'm exceptionally glad that I did.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm standard height and my wrists are just about standard so there's no point in getting custom fitting for me...

In my bag:
'07 Burner (10.5*) Driver
Unknown model 3 & 5 Woods (next to get replaced)
Rescue (21*) Hybrid
Di7 4i-GW 56/08 Oil Can Wedge Rossa Blade Putter NXT Tour Balls

I've been fitted twice, and like I've seen written on here already, don't get fitted unless you have a decent and repeatable swing...

When I first started playing 9 years ago, I had what I thought was repeatable but it had it's flaws. When I bought my first set of clubs, I got fitted and the fitting made adjustments for those flaws. My first purchased set was 1/2" long and 2 degrees upright.

Fast forward a few years while still trying to improve my action and new flaws started to crop up. I wanted to get a new set of sticks, too, and so I opted for another fitting and results this time were standard length, standard lie.

I've bought one other set since then and didn't get fitted, just buying the standard set and I've had no problems.

No brand loyalty at all!

Driver: Speedline 10.5*
Fairway woods: 905F 15* and Big Bertha 19*Hybrid: DWS 3HIrons: 2008 FP 4-GWWedge: Carnoustie 56*Putter: Zing Anser 2i

I haven't been fitted for all my clubs in the traditional since..i.e. lie angle, launch angle, height, club length, swing speed, angle of decent, ball backspin, sidespin, velocity, trajectory..etc

But I recently went down to Golfsmith and Edwin Watts to be fitted for a new shaft and to get a new hybrid and I did notice immediate results. With the launch monitor I was able to optimize my ball speed and trajectory with the tweaking of my swing and with the numbers was able to pick a shaft that best suited my driver and my swing.

I would agree that you should reach a certain level of playing before getting fitted but the same would be said about about a decent set of clubs.

I've seen a lot of people comment that they are standard height, etc. so they don't need to be fitted. Here's the thing, just because you are a standard height doesn't mean you have a standard swing. If you go to a good pro he will not necessarily try to change your swing but fit you so that your clubs are right for your swing (provided you don't have a total train wreck of a swing).

I am 5'11 and most clubs are designed off the shelf for guys 5'10 to 5'11, however I found that I had a problem staying down on the ball and would top or duff shots fairly often. When I got fitted the pro told me that I "stood tall" during my swing. Not a bad swing, just what was comfortable for me. He fit my irons and told me that the length is something he might usually see in someone who is 6'1 or 6'2. I immediately saw the benefits. A comfortable swing makes good contact now and I rarely top the ball. Also, adjusts to the lie angle, etc. helped eliminate my tendency to push right. I was amazed when he would hand me different clubs and say "this is going left" or "this one should be right" or "this one is going to go pretty straight" and be right every time. A good pro and fitting can make a world of difference.

If the pro just takes your measurements and doesn't have you swing various clubs and check you on a black board, etc. you need a different pro.

Slim 11
Driver: Cobra F-Speed 10.5*
3 wood: Cobra F Speed
5 wood: Cobra F Speed
Irons: Cobra 3100H/I 3-PWSW: Pixl 56*Putter: Monza Rossa MalletBall: Slazenger Raw Feel

I know a lot of people swear by it and I've dont it twice. It didn't help me at all infact actually I couldn't hit them at all. It could be one of those weird things where my swing just matches up with the off the shelf set fine.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I know a lot of people swear by it and I've dont it twice. It didn't help me at all infact actually I couldn't hit them at all. It could be one of those weird things where my swing just matches up with the off the shelf set fine.

I am sure a lot of people end up pretty close or the same as a standard set. I am surprised that fitting would hurt you (I can understand not seeing a difference). Possibly your fitter just wanted to make changes to seem like he knew what he was doing or to charge you a little more (my fitting was included in the price of my clubs). I have friends who have gone to my guy and he told them they didn't need an adjustment, the standard was right for them. I think a lot depends on your pro.

Slim 11
Irons: Cobra 3100H/I 3-PWSW: Pixl 56*Putter: Monza Rossa MalletBall: Slazenger Raw Feel

I have never been fitted either, so I am not sure I know a lot about the fitting process, but I didn't think that Height and wrist position was the end of it. Don't they see what your impact is and that weighs on what they do to the club. I would think that how the club impacts the ball is more important than how it sits at address.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

I have never been fitted either, so I am not sure I know a lot about the fitting process, but I didn't think that Height and wrist position was the end of it. Don't they see what your impact is and that weighs on what they do to the club. I would think that how the club impacts the ball is more important than how it sits at address.

There are a lot of factors in fitting, but it also depends on your swing and your ability. They can't spend all day with you trying to see the one or two perfect strokes you put on the ball. Mostly they check your impact on a black board that will show how the club is contacting the ground. It will show if you are coming inside or outside, open or closed face, too steep or too shallow, etc. That is a big reason I don;t think you should get fitted until you are a semi-decent player. You don't need to be a single handicap but you should be able to make consistent, good contact and have a fairly repeatable swing. I would say if you are under a 20 handicap, it is worth it. Again, this is about the same point that I would say it is worth spending the money on a premium set of clubs.

Slim 11

I would never have gotten fitted for anything if it wasn't for the fact that my friends dad is a major titliest rep.

R9 10.5 Aldila Voodo Stiff
S9-1 3W Stiff
Baffler 20 Degree
AP2 (3-PW) KBS Stiff
Vokey Design (52,56,60) Redwood

I would never have gotten fitted for anything if it wasn't for the fact that my friends dad is a major titliest rep.

Did it help you?

Slim 11

Yes, my current set was fitted by Titleist and my club pro. And yes it has tremendously helped my game.

But, it could be just that I was playing a 15 year old set of Ram Fx2 (great clubs for their time) and now I'm playing AP2s.

I spent 2 hours with my club pro who fitted me with proper length, lie angle and shaft, for the Nike Split Cavity, Titleist AP2, Calloway X-22 tour, Cleveland CG7 Reds.

And honestly when I was tweaking the AP2s I could immediately feel the difference and see the results between an unfitted AP2 and a fitted one.

I would never, ever invest in new equipment without it fitting me perfectly regardless if I was a scratch golfer or a hacker.

Note: This thread is 5115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!