IGNORED

I hate the way golf is covered on TV

lordhamster
Note: This thread is 5382 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

We live in the age of DVRs and 300 channels. Why is it that golf coverage is still so... "highlight reel".

What I like to watch is coverage similar to the "ultimate matches" from Shell's wonderful world of golf, where you can see a great player go through a course and hit every shot.

I don't like to see a player make one shot, cut to 50 other players all over the place, then come back for the third shot etc. It is confusing and boring IMO.

I'd love to see some special type coverage following specific players around. Maybe as internet bonus footage or something.

G10 9* Stiff Shaft Driver
R7 Draw 3 Wood
Burner 3 hybrid
26* Baffler Hybrid 5H Stiff Shaft.
Rapture 6-SW (3-5 are retired in favor of hybrids) Vokey Spin Milled 60* Wedge Newport 2 Pinseeker 1600 + ViewTI GPS software for iPhone

I disagree. I'd rather see many different players hit shots than watching the same group walk around on the course all day long. Most of the time goes into walking and pondering a shot, which isn't exactly that entertaining to watch. They do the same all the time. I love the slow motion captures from all kind of shots. On the British Open they captured a lot of swings from the deep grass, which was interesting to see.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I disagree. I'd rather see many different players hit shots than watching the same group walk around on the course all day long. Most of the time goes into walking and pondering a shot, which isn't exactly that entertaining to watch. They do the same all the time. I love the slow motion captures from all kind of shots. On the British Open they captured a lot of swings from the deep grass, which was interesting to see.

I didn't say I want them to film the walking. I'm just saying don't jump around so much. Of course I want them to edit out the miles of walking and 6000 practice swings.

At the very least I'd love them to maybe cover one hole for example and then see how 4 different players handle it. Rather than jumping around to 18 different holes where it takes 15 min before I see if the player I'm trying to follow made the putt or not.

R7 Draw 3 Wood
Burner 3 hybrid
Rapture 6-SW (3-5 are retired in favor of hybrids) Vokey Spin Milled 60* Wedge Newport 2 Pinseeker 1600 + ViewTI GPS software for iPhone

I didn't say I want them to film the walking. I'm just saying don't jump around so much. Of course I want them to edit out the miles of walking and 6000 practice swings.

PGA golf is just too slow... They have to skip around to keep most viewers' interests.

There is no perfect coverage. The Euoropean Tour coverage is good visually, but the commentators are nauseating. NBC is pretty good, but their obsession with zooming in on the ball is weird. I know what a golf ball looks like, I don't need to see it fill my screen as it approaches the hole. I like the way ABC did the Open where the didn't zoom in during putts - they let you see the entire putt, including the break and the pace. Their camera work was a bit sketchy and Tom Weiskopf is a grumpy old turd, but other thatn that it was good. I liked the way the women's US Open coverage was done - it was watchable. I could totally do without ever watching the Masters again - their glowing remarks about anything and everything Augusta gives me a toothache.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

i like the way golf is covered on tv but what i dont like is how they follow certain players and not others! last week id backed villegas and he was -1 going into saturday and finished +2 at the end of the tourney but i didnt see one shot of his the whole of the last two days!

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

My favorite shows are always the "Ultimate matches" and the "playing with the pros"

R7 Draw 3 Wood
Burner 3 hybrid

I can understand how you feel.

During the US open the US open website had a live feed that covered one gorup a day. I got to watch phil and his group one day. They follow them and them only. I really enjoyed actually watch them approach each shot, take practice swings, watch them in the background as the other players hit and all the little things you don't see in traditional TV coverage. Maybe more of thr tournaments have this type of online coverage

In my Golf bag
Big Bertha Irons
60* wedge
Hi-Bore Hybrid 3
Burner 3wood XLS Hi-Bore 10.5 Driver Putter On the feet Burner Balls

As much as I hate NASCAR, and dear God do I hate NASCAR, they do a neat thing with their coverage. If you're willing to pay for the extra channels, you can watch your favourite driver all race long from inside the car.

Maybe they could do something like that?

DIRECTV's coverage of the Masters and US Open the last couple years has been fun and shows what the future of golf (and other sports) coverage will be like. With multiple camera views, one could follow the leaders, watch Amen Corner, etc. As IPTV becomes more prevalent in the future, expect that there will be a lot more viewer choice.

Golf is obviously not the most exciting sport to watch. They can't accommodate everyone by following their favorite golfer since their are like 100 golfers every tournament. So that's why they just follow like the top 15 or so on the leader board. I would guess that mostly golf fans watch golf and a lot less casual fans than other sports attract.

stand bag:

Driver: DDH 10*
Woods: DDH 3W-15*, 5W-21*
Irons: DDH 3-SWWedge: VR LW 60*Putter: VSL

• 2 weeks later...
I agree I wish I could just follow myy fa. golfer for his entire round

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

Note: This thread is 5382 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!