IGNORED

Your 200 yards from the pin....

Note: This thread is 5379 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For me its a 7-Wood. THis is the shot I have the most confidence in.

Same here. A 5-wood might be a bit long, and I am much more likely to miss the green. I seem to hit a 7-wood straighter, and can hit it a bit harder for a few more yards, without mis-hitting.

In my bag

Driver: J33r 10.5º - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue
Fairway: 600T 5w, 7w
Irons: Golfsmith Tour Cavity 4-PW/AW/SW/LWPutter: Victoria IIBall: B330-RXGlove: WetherSofShoes: DryJoys

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anytime a question like this involves the rough, the answer has to be, it depends on the lie.

Having said that, if I can get a club on it, it's likely going to be a 3 hybrid for me. If the lie is such that I have to go down and "get it", I'm not getting there and will have to dig it out with an iron.......prob a mid to short iron at that.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Most likely a 3 iron. I can't justify carrying a 7 wood until I'm 50. My dad has one and he's 62.

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

And your in the rough, its your second shot on a par 4, you have a clear line at the pin.... what club do you use?

What kind of courses are you playing if you got 200 yds left on a par 4?..lol. Ill use a 4 iron if the green is open and run it up on there. If i have to fly it 200 yards ill pull the 3 hybrid. But a word of advice, if you dont have the enough stick to get there with a comfortable swing, dont force it. I see so many high handis force those kinds of shots and end up in worse spots than they where before. If feel like youre going to have to nuke one to get the ball on the green, just back off and lay up with a 6 or 7 iron. Secure the bogey, or maybe even par.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

4 or 5-wood.

Inside The Owl's bag:
DRIVER: Launcher 10.5
IRONS: Launcher 6-PW, #3, #4, #5 Hybrid
PUTTER: I-Series Anser
BALL: HX Hot Bite or Pro V1 SHOES: "Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots - but you have to play the...

If its a good lie I'll hit a 6 iron to the front of the green (guessing 185ish to the front) and let it roll out to the middle.
If the lie is bad I'll pull a 5i and aim for the fairway right in front of the green and play a fade or a draw, that way if I make good contact I'm on the green, and if I don't I'm a 30 pitch from the short grass.

So many variables it is hard to give a solid answer. My stock answer would be either a 4-iron or 19º hybrid, depending on the variables.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I'd go with my 7w. haha thats funny some people dont like carrying one but i love it.

In my Ogio Budlight Bag
Taylormade R11 Driver | Big Bertha Diablo 3W | Tight Lies 5W & 7W |
Big Bertha Diablo 24 degree hybrid | Slingshot 4D 5-PW, AW Irons | SV Tour 56* wedge |
Detour Newport 2 | Noodle Ball | Golf Logix GPS

Good lie: Try to muscle up on a 4-iron (since I am also currently looking for a good hybrid club to bridge the gap between my 3W (225) and my 4-iron (190)).

Bad lie: Just hit a nice smooth 5-iron and leave it a little short of the green, and then try to get up and down.

In my Titleist stand bag:
Ping G5 10.5* Adila NV S
Titleist F2 15.5* VooDoo FW-S
TaylorMade Burner Rescue Hybrid '07 19* 65-S
Mizuno MP52 4-5 irons, Project X 5.5, 1* upright (4i bent to 23*)Mizuno MP57 6-PW, Project X 5.5, 1* uprightMaltby GW 53*; Titleist Vokey SW 58-12; Cougar LW 64*Zebra...

I'd hit a 4-iron.

Again, no offense but what are the odds you're going to stick it close from the rough 200 yards away (even pro's dont do it all the time)? So take an extra shot and give yourself a higher probability of putting it close to the pin and having a tap in par or 2 putt bogey and also reduce your chances of blowing up the hole and getting a snowman (or worse!)

The odds of sticking it close are not good. But I don't care if I miss the green. I'll just be chipping from the fringe, or hitting out of the green-side bunker (from which I'm quite comfortable) with my 3rd shot. That gives me a better chance than hitting my 3rd shot from 50-100 yards (which could put me in the green-side bunker too). Worst case scenario is that I end up hitting it

like a 9-iron (i.e. taking an extra shot to lay up). Tim

This is fast becoming a shot I enjoy.I use my 18" in that situation.Even when half the ball is sitting down just move it back in the stance a touch to get a more descending blow and it really flies.
Due to that distance I don't think I have ever nailed an approach from that length.180 and in seems for the moment my threshold.I only started using them in the fairways this summer,so I would look to add hybrids in your set.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

I would try, and probably fail, with my 3 hybrid.

Funny how most of the lower handicappers, not that I am, are suggesting to play it smart and advance comfortably into the fairway and play it out from there.

Good advice!!! I don't know how many times I try to kill it....good or bad lie....and it comes back to bite me on the azz!!

In My Datrek Bag:

Driver: R9-460 9.5°
Woods: Burner 15°
Hybrids: Burner 3,4,5Irons: G10 Gap - 5 ironWedges: cg15: chrome, 56° 60°Putter: Studio Newport 2GPS Unit: Push Cart: 2.0

So if you guys have a bad lie in the rough you hit 3 iron?

Pretty impressive since 3i isn't the easiest club to hit, especially out of the rough. When I think bad lie I think buried, I definitely wouldn't be attempting to hit 3i.

-Try and smoke a 5i
-Easy 4i
-Bad Lie:3H

Driver 2007 Burner 10.5
Hybrid 3DX RDC 3 Iron
Irons Di7 4-GW Irons
Wedges American Open 60*
Putter Black MaxBalls AD333's

Id say a 21* hybrid and id lean on it a bit.

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

Note: This thread is 5379 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!