IGNORED

How far?

Konrad
Note: This thread is 6447 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How far do people overestmate driver distance?

• 10 Yards
    • 15 Yards
    • 20 Yards
    • 25+ Yards
    • They don't overestimate
    • They underestimate (ha!)

I bet you don't count your bad rounds towards your handicap either.

Of course I do - I know I'll shoot a good one next time - they take the 10 best . . . of the last 20 - bad scores don't kill your handicap once in a while . . . Looking for a fight? Go look for that guy E kicked off yesterday - I'm just here to chat!

J.P.

Bridgestone J33 10.5* Fujikura Rombax w
Bridgestone J33 15* Fujikura Zcom tw74
Tour Edge XCG 18* 3 hybrid Mizuno MP30 4-PW DG S300Vokey SM 52 bent 51Vokey Spin Milled 56 & 60Cameron Newport BchBridgestone B330s

Nevermind
IN THE BAG

Driver: R580 W/ Fujikura VistaPro Eighty S Flex
Woods: 15* 300 series R80
Irons: TaylorMade RAC LT T Step Professional 110-gram steel RegularWedge: TP Rac Black Y Cutter 52/8 56/12Putter: Nubbins M2Ball: Bridgestone e5Course: League @ Bedford Hills

How about recognizing that when we say average we are really refering to I believe is the mean? What we believe is our normal carry on a decently struck ball. After all if you fat a wedge 50 yards that doesn't mean your normal 100 yard distance for 10 wedges goes down by 5 yards. I feel everyone is just amused by the golfer who tells everyone he hits it 290, when they only hit one that far once in 100 shots. Ten representative drives. Shots way off your normal distance both long and short are not predictrable. I normally carry my driver, 205-210. So that means I won't even consider a forced carry over 200 yards from the tee. Sure once in a while I will get unconsious and carry one 225, but can I produce it on demand, no. In fact my longest carry of the year turned out lousy. I hit driver into a 228 yard par three. I had just checked rthe distance with my companions busnell, The shot carried clear to the middle of the green, it took a big bounce OB down into the trees and crick. I ended up with a six. (four wood from now on.)

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

This is like asking a weightlifter how much they can bench. Obviously some people are full of crap and some are not. I would say on good days I can average 290 or so. Some obviously go longer and some do not. Still we all know that it doesnt matter how far you can hit it, it all comes down to how you are with the flat stick. My length has been there for most of the year but I can honestly say that my game hasn't improved much at all in the last 3 or so months so its quite confusing.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

I honestly think the better question to ask is, "How often do you hit the fairway?"

Whether we're 240 or 270 off the tee, most amateurs, myself included, are going to miss the green with our second shot alot, but even more often when we hit from the rough. So really, our focus on distance is kinda misplaced IMHO.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

Who actually bothers to calculate the length of a drive anyway? When I get to the ball I am working out what club I want to hit next. A few times I have turned around and actually used my range finder to get the yardage from the box and it always less than I thought it was.

Most golfers will tell you how far they think they should be hitting it when you ask how far they hit it on average. Like poker players who claim that "over-all they are ahead", when they are not... the truth is too painful.

I would agree that the machines are not always accurate. I hit my driver 290-310. But when I was trying out some two irons at my local golfsmith with the manager helping me set up the machine, it was telling me that I was flying them 285. I hit my two iron on the course about 230..that's a huge discrepancy. If the machine, when properly used, can overestimate my distance 55 yards, I don't see why it can't underestimate it 55 yards.

This is like asking a weightlifter how much they can bench. Obviously some people are full of crap and some are not. I would say on good days I can average 290 or so. Some obviously go longer and some do not. Still we all know that it doesnt matter how far you can hit it, it all comes down to how you are with the flat stick. My length has been there for most of the year but I can honestly say that my game hasn't improved much at all in the last 3 or so months so its quite confusing.

I agree with some of the others who posted about hitting fairways.

I, too, was confused when I started hitting it longer and my handicap did not go down. So, I started tracking Green In Regulation, Fairways Hit, and Putts. I soon found out how important hitting the fairway was. When I hit the fairway, I hit the green twice as often as when I approached from the rough. I also average about 1/3rd less putt per green when I approached from the fairway instead of the rough. I suppose this correlates to being able to better judge distance from the short grass and leaving a shorter first putt. Do the math on those numbers, and you will see how important playing from the short grass is compared to length. I know the pros currently have the "Bomb it close and take your chances out of the rough", but I am not good enough or strong enough or something to make that work for me and I doubt most amateurs can do it either.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

Note: This thread is 6447 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!