IGNORED

Heavy Putters

Note: This thread is 4087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've searched here and didn't notice a thread on the line of putters called "Heavy Putter." I was interested if anyone on here uses one, used one, tried one and what the reactions, comments and recommendations are.

For those of you that don't know, the new for 2009 Heavy Putters - Mid Weight like the K4 - is a putter weighing in at around 750 grams. The putter has a 450 gram head with an additional 275 grams back weighted under the grip. The heavy putter forces use of the larger muscles of the arms and hands, reduces the tendancy to break the wrists and promotes a smooter back and through putter pendulum. So the advertising totes!!

Just wondered if there was any reactions, comments, insights on these putters. I see John Daly is using and promoting them.
I make all my own clubs:
Driver: Snake Eyes Python XLD | | 3-Wood: Snake Eyes Python XL Faiway, 15*  | | Snake Eyes HT Iron Set, 3-, 4-Utility, 5-, 6-Hybrid, 7-PW Cavity Back | | Golfsmith G-40 Wedges, 52, 56, 60 | | Distance Master DM-AS2 Putter | |Ball? The last one I found ... that... was YOURS!!

There is a review on the main site here. Scroll down and read the reviews. I have owned a couple different models and liked them both alot. The review is for the mallet style, and I had blade styles, so that might be part of it. Anyway, please take Mr. Erik J. Barzeski's comments with a grain of salt. Some just can't handle the Heavy stick. I would still be gaming the A2-m blade if I hadn't sprung for my Scotty.

If you'd like to write your own review, there is one for sale in the marketplace here.

I have a Heavy Putter C2-DF. Its the blade style putter in their deep face line. I really like this putter. It really smooths out my stroke on short putts. Some people complained about lack of feel on long putts, but I did not have this problem. It feels different than a lighter putter, so there is transition time before you get the feel for it. I got mine for 40 bucks new from Rock Bottom Golf so at that price its definately worth trying out.

Late last year I picked up a Heavy Putter used at Golf Galaxy and gamed it for about 3 weeks (4-5 rounds). I loved it for short (10 foot and in putts on flat green), but absolutely hated it on long putts or those downhill or big breaking putts. I had not feel with it whatsoever. I was really disappointed because it was so great for those shorter putts. The Mid Weight models might be a little better because of a better weight distribution throughout the putter. I would recommend trying to find one used someplace that has a return policy on used equipment so you can decide if you like it for all putts. Almost everyone I have known who has owned one felt the same way I do about longer putts.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

I have a HeavyPutter, model B1-M and have used the adjustable weight set to make it as heavy as possible. I always use a slightly accelerating pendulum stroke. This putter takes hand twitchiness out of the equation. If you putt correctly, you can't help but love this tool. I can't agree with the comments about long putts. All you need do is adjust the length of the pendulum backswing. I think folks who complain about the feel of heavy putters on long putts are just used to using their hands and wrists to give them extra distance. That method doesn't work with the heavy putter.

• 2 years later...

I have owned 3 different heavy putter and currently use the b-3. Everyone has been great but the new one is the best. The weight keeps you on line and the roll of the ball is perfect. I have let friends try mine and most have gone out and purchased.

From my experience you either like them or you don't. It's something you have to try for yourself. (I'm a don't like. I like a 'heavier' putter, but not as heavy as these.)

"Quick Dorthy....the oil can!"

I use the B-3M model and have had it for quite a few years now.  Although I've recently considered a lighter putter I do still love the heavy putter for 10ft and in putts.  This putter has smoothed out my putting stroke and has helped me go from a 20 hncp to a 9.  Try it and give it a chance...I especially like it on fast greens - a nice smooth stroke puts a great roll on the ball.  A little tougher on slow/bumpy greens to get the weight right (but that is likely the case with any putter).

4149_90601.jpg

Driver:  i15 (8*)  3W:  R11 (14*)   Hybrids:  G10 (28*)    A12OS (25* & 19*)  Irons:  i20 (7i-UW)    Wedges: CG14 (54* & 58*)   Putter:  Scotty Cameron Red X5    Ball:  Penta   

"What other people may find in poetry, I find in the flight of a good drive" -- Arnold Palmer  

Had one, didn't like it. I wanted a putter that has a heavier head than normal, to better smooth out my stroke. Got the heavy putter and most of the weight was in the handle, not the head.

It spent about 6 months in the garage, then I threw it in the trash. I put some heavier weights in my Coronado and got what I wanted.

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

• 10 months later...
Originally Posted by Cman13

I use the B-3M model and have had it for quite a few years now.  Although I've recently considered a lighter putter I do still love the heavy putter for 10ft and in putts.  This putter has smoothed out my putting stroke and has helped me go from a 20 hncp to a 9.  Try it and give it a chance...I especially like it on fast greens - a nice smooth stroke puts a great roll on the ball.  A little tougher on slow/bumpy greens to get the weight right (but that is likely the case with any putter).

Finally made the change at the suggestion of my instructor who said the weight masked my poor putting stroke (like a draw biased driver for a slicer)...he preffered me to work on my stroke.  I went to the Scotty Cameron Red X5 as I still wanted the look of a mallet....took a few months to adjust, and I almost bailed a few times...but glad I stuck with it.  I now love my Red x5 and would never go back to the heavy putter.  It was good from inside 10ft...but I have a much better and consistent putting stroke now!

Driver:  i15 (8*)  3W:  R11 (14*)   Hybrids:  G10 (28*)    A12OS (25* & 19*)  Irons:  i20 (7i-UW)    Wedges: CG14 (54* & 58*)   Putter:  Scotty Cameron Red X5    Ball:  Penta   

"What other people may find in poetry, I find in the flight of a good drive" -- Arnold Palmer  

• 6 months later...
I have a B3-M in a long putter- 6' length.  I love it and it replaced a Ping B60.

Strong bump! Bocceri just introduced weighted butt grips for all clubs to counterbalance. With the pending long putter ban everyone trying to repurpose their long putters are shortening and counterbalancing like the HP weighting... So the market is going to be flooded by "heavy putters" by almost every maker.

Originally Posted by indyvai

Strong bump!

Bocceri just introduced weighted butt grips for all clubs to counterbalance. With the pending long putter ban everyone trying to repurpose their long putters are shortening and counterbalancing like the HP weighting... So the market is going to be flooded by "heavy putters" by almost every maker.

Thats right, mine has a weighted butt.  I will never go back to bending over.  Ever see a 7'2' guy putt with a 35" flat stick - does not work.

14-1b will prohibit anchoring against the body (belly or sternum) or forearm.  Many people that use a long putter do not rest the butt against the chest - I hold it in my fist 6" away from my sternum with my left elbow held firmly at my side.  My father sweeps from his side.  14-1b aims at the greater numbers that stick the butt of the putter in the navel area which takes the leading hand out of the stroke.  I would like to see the statistical evaluation the USGA and R&A; used to determine these putting styles gave an advantage.  I know one was not done when they banned Sam Snead from croquet putting.  A knee-jerk reaction IMO I'm with Big Easy on this one, you blew it once again USGA.

Note: This thread is 4087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!