• Announcements

• iacas

Introducing TST "Clubs!"   08/28/2017

No, we're not getting into the equipment business, but we do have "clubs" here on TST now. Groups. Check them out here:
Sign in to follow this  
Herms

Distance Ball

Herms    0
What ball would you recommend purely for distance? I'm going in a Scamble Tourney next week and want to get a ball for distance off the tee for "Long Drive" contest.

Thanks

walfice    0
I have a srixon distance ball in my practice ball bag and when I collect them after a session that is the one that usually went the furthest. Not a scientific test but just what I have noticed. tbh I don't think there is a great deal of difference between the longest and shortest ball, just my opinion.

PiKapp23    1
While it mostly depends on your swing speed and launch angle, you'll probably want to avoid any of the 'premium' balls because they are not designed for distance due to the softer cover. You'll want a ball with a firm cover and higher compression, and most likely a 2 piece. Something along the lines of the Pinnacle FX Long. With a faster swing speed a harder compression ball with firm cover will launch lower and with less spin, thus rollling out a lot. A lot of the balls that now claim to be 'longer' are actually a softer compression ball with firm cover and this may well be true if you're swing is not really fast. When it comes right down to it the individual ball isn't going to make that much difference unless your swing speed is at one extreme or the other.

FAQ's about balls: http://www.golfballselector.com/buyersGuide/faqs.php
Compression and Hardness test: http://www.golfballselector.com/pdf/...2.08_FINAL.pdf

mhodar13    0
I don't really know for sure, but I hit e7+ and RAW Distance balls darn close to 300 many a time so those are my picks, but I don't know what is the absolute best distance ball. I think Pinnacles are the leader in distance balls but don't quote me on that one.

mhodar13    0
Actually, I just looked and the Pinnacle Gold FX Long is the official ball of the world long drive championship and is also supposedly the longest ball available that conforms to USGA standards.

YamahaJay    0
Callaway HX Hot Plus and Noodle+ (taylormade ball) are the longest legal balls I have hit. If its a scramble and there isn't anyone really checking anything i'd suggest hitting up Fleabay and picking up a pack of Desperado balls that are slightly heavier and smaller and FLY.

Suited_Up    0
Callaway HX Hot Plus and Noodle+ (taylormade ball) are the longest legal balls I have hit. If its a scramble and there isn't anyone really checking anything i'd suggest hitting up Fleabay and picking up a pack of Desperado balls that are slightly heavier and smaller and FLY.

Just ordered a couple dozen HX Hot Plus from lostgolfballs for like 11 a doz, haven't hit them, but reviews seemed pretty positive for the price.

Laurentius    1
You should try Dunlop DDH Tour, they are very long and rolls forever. But, it is hard as a stone and if you play in tight fairways and greens, you will have lots of problems scoring.

chilly    1
Digging up an old thread here. Just commenting that a buddy gave me some Slazenger Raw Distance balls, and to my surprise, they really are rockets. Still in cool temps and I'm getting distances I've never seen before. I have to try them back to back with different balls, but these are definitely in the running as pure distance balls. Definitely rock hard though, they make audible "clack!!" sounds off my Vokeys on anything over 30yds...