IGNORED

Curing a Slice/Learning to Swing From the Inside

Note: This thread is 5348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not much use in a flat swing plane if your clubface is aimed right. Flattening the plane may help you keep the clubface square.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Take a 7-iron. When you take the club away from the ball, point the bottom of the club at the golfball halfway through your backswing.

You will naturally take the club inside with wrist cock.

Your swing plane will change as well.

Hit several hundred balls with that 7-iron before you hit a fairway woood, then a driver.

G10 Driver Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 65 Stiff
G5 3-Wood Aldila NV65-Stiff
G15 20 Hybrid TFC stiff
I15 Irons 4-P
S/M Black Nickel 52 56 60 Marxman Mini 33" Tour B330 RXCarroll Valley Resort, Fairfield PA Rating: 72.3 Slope: 128www.carrollvalley.com

Got rid of my slice by changing from a swinger to a hitter, ie push using the right side of the body instead of pulling with the left. Ball compression is the key by maximizing acceleration into impact starting slow from the top. The club shaft will be flexed at impact sending the ball absolutely straight.

The key is that when the club is parallel to the ground in the downswing the butt is pointing at 4:30 (inside quadrant) on the ball and the clubhead is wide open, wrists cocked to max. Upper arms connected to armpits throughout especially the finish so the club goes low left instead of down the target line, 'angled hinge' release.

Take a 7-iron. When you take the club away from the ball, point the bottom of the club at the golfball halfway through your backswing.

Hey thanks a lot for this tip, i'll definitely try it. Do you think you could elaborate at all? maybe a little bit more specific what I want to look for.

Thanks!

Lefty Golfer!
In my light stand bag:
R7 Limited Driver 9.5* Matrix Ozik xcon 5.5 Stiff Shaft
A3os 3 (19*) and 4 (22*) Hybrids Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff shafts
X-22's 5-AW Regular Flex Uniflex Steel Shafts X-Forged SW 56* & LW 60* 35" Studio Stainless Newport 2.5 ('04 version) with a...

Hey thanks a lot for this tip, i'll definitely try it. Do you think you could elaborate at all? maybe a little bit more specific what I want to look for.

When I was younger, I struggled with taking the club outside and coming over the top. I was hitting balls at the range and was given this tip by an "old pro". It revolutionized my swing in a short period of time. It is a quick fix, yes, but it must be practiced. By using a shorter club, with more loft, you can hone the plane of your swing in a relatively short period of time.

Practice that inside move with a 7-iron. It trains your muscle memory to take the club inside with an angle to set the club properly at the top of your swing. Place a dime about three inches away from the ball (on the opposite side of impact) and try to swing out at that time with a low swing speed. Your body will be trained to swing outside.

G10 Driver Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 65 Stiff
G5 3-Wood Aldila NV65-Stiff
G15 20 Hybrid TFC stiff
I15 Irons 4-P
S/M Black Nickel 52 56 60 Marxman Mini 33" Tour B330 RXCarroll Valley Resort, Fairfield PA Rating: 72.3 Slope: 128www.carrollvalley.com

I'm both new to golf and this board (my first post!). Lovin' both.

I started playing last summer about mid May. Progress has been slow. I can get around a course ok, but I'm really inconsistent. That's ok too; I expected some "growing pains."

Slicing my drives has been a big problem. This thread has been very helpful. Also, a few days ago I caught part of a show on GC where a guy in the studio gives pointers on how to play. On this particular day he was talking about fixing a slice.

He explained how an outside-in swing creates spin that creates a slice (he did a demo with a shoebox to show the path of the club. It was all very cool.).

I am too new to golf to know how I swing outside-in (or fix by swinging more inside-out). So today at the range I took my usual setup, only I opened the club face a smidge (it looked like I was trying to hit the ball dead right). Then I took my regular swing. It worked pretty good.

I was wondering whether this is an acceptable fix for my slice, or is it, at best, a band-aid that will only create greater problems later on?

Video analysis:

Saw two big issues:

#1: You take the club too far inside on the backswing. That will force you to come over the top.

#2: You get way in front of the ball on the downswing. Some people say to "keep your head behind the ball", I like to tell people to keep both feet on the ground until after impact. Either way, the point is that you are losing all your power before impact by releasing the relationship between your feet, your hips, and your upper body too early.

Take pratice swings that look like Sergio's full swing.

theincrediblegolfbum.blogspot.com Aol messenger: "Drifterland88"

Driver Tour Burner 9.5 s (Best Driver Ever!)
3-Wood Burner 07 14.5 s
3-Hybrid Halo 22degree Irons X-Forged Project 6.o Rifle s-flexGW SV 52.08 SW Tour Action 900 56.12 LW Oil Can 60.06

I am too new to golf to know how I swing outside-in (or fix by swinging more inside-out). So today at the range I took my usual setup, only I opened the club face a smidge (it looked like I was trying to hit the ball dead right). Then I took my regular swing. It worked pretty good.

Not really. Actually, if you are coming over the top, that would have only made the slice worse.

Tips on TV, books, and this forum can be dangerous unless you have a good understanding of your swing and know what applies to you and what does not. I strongly suggest you take some lessons from a PGA professional before bad habits are ingrained. They can educate you on the swing, and will be able to best steer you in the right direction. Good luck, and welcome to the nuthouse!

Not really. Actually, if you are coming over the top, that would have only made the slice worse.

Thanks a bunch.

I have done several books and a training DVD. I've also looked at countless videos on the web til my brain was numb. I've even taken a total of three lessons from two different pros. For the first I had just started to pick up a club so what he said was Greek to me. The more recent two were helpful, but the pro used video as a teaching tool. That's ok, but I kind of felt she overrelied on it. I would rather have had her focus on what I should be doing and teaching me mechanics I could practice, rather than focusing on habits to avoid. It's all completely confusing and yet I love to play. I think a well-struck golf ball is a beautiful thing. I play sometimes with a 6 HC. Some of the shots he hits are just so much fun to stand there and watch.

Just wanted to post some personal experiences from today. I posted one about learning to swing from the inside in this thread which also discuss OTT: http://thesandtrap.com/forum/showpos...0&postcount;=25

Specifically the part about getting the arms closer to the body and have them point down to the inside of the ball. Worked on this at the range and through 6 holes today and it worked wonders! Not a single swing over the top. Even played around with fading and drawing. At one hole I hit 4 balls with a draw with my 6i. They landed 1 yard apart each, probably a foot or two difference in distance.

Even hit a power fade which turned out really well. Faded 5-10 yards left to right with good distance. I still hit it sky high like I use to, but it was still a successful shot, which demand that you come from the inside. I've been struggling with hitting shots fat, especially with my wedges. No problem today, picked the ball nicely and got a divot after it. Felt in total control of the shot, almost pitched one in for birdie.

This, along with my work on a better swing plane is definately the cure for my problem with OTT. Throwing the arms out to the ball was the biggest culprit. Not saying this is everyones problem, but if it can help one, I'm happy.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 5348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!