IGNORED

Balls vs. brains???

Note: This thread is 5369 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've gotten used to the feel of the DT Carry so that is what I play. Before I started keeping a handicap, I would play a crap ball on par 3s over water or on long holes where I tried to hit my driver further. Eventually I found that playing with a different ball than what I was used to screwed me up. I don't have any qualms with losing new golf balls, to me it is part of the game.

Not only that, but I play with the rules in mind. I take penalty strokes if I lose a ball. I would need to take a penalty stroke if I switched balls mid-hole.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

all the balls I play are cheap so it doesnt matter which one i use, though I usually go a club longer if i know I have to clear a hazzard or something, rather go over the green than in the hazzard, can always chip it back on the green.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

I address the shot, swing, and hopefully it lands somewhere on the other side. He walks up to his shot, switches to a ball he doesn't care about (sorry rules guys out there but we don't play on the tour so he skates on this as far as I'm concerned). Then he swings and hopefully his ball lands somewhere on the other side too.

I don't see a problem with it. If that is what he wants to do so be it. I understand both sides of the argument. I don't switch balls anymore, but I used to. I don't like that mentality of 'it's okay if I lose it'. I just hit whatever is on the ground or whatever I pull out of my pocket.

The course I grew up on had a lake that you had to hit over on two holes. One hole the lake was more in play off the tee, the other it was more the second shot. We kept a bunch of old balls in the cart just for these holes. Even when balls were not $4 each, we still didn't want to donate a good ball. I had used one ball this summer for about 25 holes and decided it was time to retire it. So I pull out a new ball for a tee shot with water down the right. Sure enough, I hit it in the water. I don't care about the cost of the ball, I don't pay for them anyway. I was more upset that I didn't get to use a new ball for more than one shot. I pulled out the 25 hole ball and played the rest of the round with it.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I'm still wondering how you talk to your dad like that without a putter wrapped around your head or at least a ball forcibly 7-ironed up your ass.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

It's just a golf ball. The game is more important to me and most of the people I play with. I have a friend who's struggling to break 100 and uses "switch ball" mentality from time to time. I understand his approach because he loses a decent amount of balls. I don't think a golfer who loses 5 or 6 balls per round should be playing Pro V1s. Generally if a golfer is losing that many balls, they don't have the consistency in the swing or feel around the greens to notice the difference in golf balls.

When I lose a ball, I accept it as part of the game. I look at it as part of the cost of the round (Tee Fee, reservation fee, lostball fee )

'09 Burner (UST ProForce V2 77g - S)
4dx 15.5 hybrid (UST V2 - Stiff)
'99 Apex Plus 3-EW (Stiff)
TM rac 50/6 GW
Arnold Palmer The Standard SW (20-30 years old)'99 Dual Rossie Blade

This thread reminds me of this:

Good call.

The bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 Limited (10.5*)
3-wood: Taylormade R7 st (15*)
5-wood: Titleist 909 F2(18.5*)Irons: Taylormade RAC TP MB; Project-X 6.0 (3-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 52.08 Vokey Spin-Milled 58.12Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #1 (33")Ball: Titleist ProV1

Setting himself up to fail, definitely. If he's worried about losing balls, why not just play a cheap ball all the time?

So people actually buy balls? Wow, I haven't bought balls in years, they're laying all over the course! Good ones too. I find more pro v's then I know what to do with.

So people actually buy balls? Wow, I haven't bought balls in years, they're laying all over the course! Good ones too. I find more pro v's then I know what to do with.

If you find any with a blue dot low right of the Titleist logo, I'd like them back please..

The bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 Limited (10.5*)
3-wood: Taylormade R7 st (15*)
5-wood: Titleist 909 F2(18.5*)Irons: Taylormade RAC TP MB; Project-X 6.0 (3-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 52.08 Vokey Spin-Milled 58.12Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #1 (33")Ball: Titleist ProV1

My mother always uses her "Water Ball" on holes with carry over water. It isn't because she lacks the confidence, it is because she has used that ball for about 4 years and says that it is a lucky ball. So it boosts her confidence, which is probably why she makes it over.

In the Bag:
Driver: R5 Draw
Fairway: Diamond Tour Turner Ablaze 3 Wood
Hybrid: R5 3 hybrid Currently for sale.
Irons: Diamond Tour Turner Ablaze Plus 3-SWPutter: Revolution Solid

I don't see why everyone says that you're "expecting to fail". I think it lets you swing easier. If he were using as good ball he may be tight and in the back of his mind worrying about losing it. With the old ball, he can focus completely on the swing and not need to worry about losing money if it really matters to him. And really guys, who cares if it's breaking the rules? I'm sure that you all commit much worse rule violations during play.

l Bag l TaylorMade Stand Bag

l Driver l TaylorMade '07 Burner 9.5* l 3-Wood l Titleist 910F 15* (D1 shaft setting)

l Hybrids l TaylorMade '07 Burner 19* : TaylorMade '10 Rescue 22*

l Irons l TaylorMade r7 5-PW l Wedges l Titleist Bob Vokey 52* 56* 60*

l Putter l Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34" l Balls l TaylorMade Penta TP

I've bent over a few times for $3. This one time some guy dropped his fold right in front of me. His billfold. I picked it up for him...
Still learning the game with:
HiBore XLS 10.5°
HiBore XLS 3W
Burner Rescue 4H 22°
CG7 4 - PWCG14 Black Pearl 52°, 56°, 60°White Hot 330 mallet

I still lose my share of balls, so I don't play with high end balls to begin with. But, I don't grab a comparatively "cheap" ball for water hazards. As many have said, I think it just puts me in the wrong mindset.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

The ball in play is the BALL in play – it doesn’t matter if you’re on Tour or touring fair green municipal fields.

Some people play golf just for fun. They don't care about the rules as much as you apparently do.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

The ball in play is the BALL in play – it doesn’t matter if you’re on Tour or touring fair green municipal fields.

Well i can understand both points made here. So you guys generally play for hcp correct? If thats the case i might not go around bragging that i just broke 80 (and replacing the ball 5 times) since that is pretty close to what Überswing described above.

But if its just some casual father/son round without going on record - i dont see how it matters - some people hit 5 shots from the same spot til they are satisfied with their shot, other replace the ball - so what. Personally i dont switch out my ball - if i play an unknown course i might play my "B-selection" of balls since i tend to loose a couple in general and see no point in giving the course my expensive balls, but on my home course i play my ProV1s since i know where they end up in general, and dont loose many anyways..

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

Note: This thread is 5369 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!