IGNORED

Just Concentrate, Stupid!

iacas
Note: This thread is 6509 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

I've been playing miserably for the past month or so. I'd begun rationalizing that I was working on two things at once, but really I was simply trying to think of too many things: club back on plane, get it above my shoulder, not laid off, weight forward through impact (through the ball), yada yada yada.

My putting has been so-so - I've been near the cup with every putt, but very few were falling. I was averaging closer to 33 putts per round instead of 29 or 30. My chips, my irons... everything was "so so".

I was shooting 79 and 80, which is no way to win any bets playing off four.

Today I went out by myself with one thought in mind: pick an intermediate target and make a "good" swing. I know what a "good" swing is, so I just trusted myself to do it instead of over-complicating things.

With my putts, I focused on staying steady over the ball and basically being a lot more precise with my line, how I lined my ball up, and how I set my putter head behind the ball (all line).

I played well. I found fairways. My misses weren't that bad. I rolled in a LOT of putts, many from over ten feet. And I'm not saying I'm healed, but 74's the lowest round I've shot in a looong time.

Why do we forget these things all the time? These things that are so simple, like "one swing thought" or "be specific"? Grrrrrrr.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Why do we forget these things all the time? These things that are so simple, like "one swing thought" or "be specific"? Grrrrrrr.

That's an easy one to answer.

We're trying to improve. That's what I put it down to. I go to a young pro for a lesson every now and then (far too infrequently truth be told), who knows my swing, and knows which fault I fall back to when not playing well - I take the club back out side the line, and it all gets ugly from there. My problem is that we have a little independant golf shop 2 minutes walk from where I work. The guys in there are really good guys, won't sell you something that won't work for you - unless you really insist of course - BUT they all fancy themselves as golf pros. Now their advice is well meaning, and sounds good, and no doubt works for some people. However, each time I listen to them and try to put it into my golf swing my game goes straight downhill. Then I go back to my usual pro and he "fixes" me within the first 5 minutes. What do we learn from this? And what does it tell us? Well personally I have learned to go to the shop and just chat, that's fine, but when they start dishing out advice, I just switch off. Secondly I am now putting into practise the drills my pro has given me, and I can see some nice improvements to my game. And it tells us what I said at the start - we are for the most part trying to get better at this damned hard game, and usually accept advice when we hear it or read it, and sometimes it may not be the best for you.
In the bag:
Driver - FT-i 9.5* Neutral Speeder 686 Stiff
Fairway Wood - X-Tour 15* Stiff
Hybrid - Nickent 3DX Ironwood 17* Aldila NV Hybrid 75S
Irons - Tour Stage Z101 Forged Irons DG S300 Shatfs (2-PW) Wedges - 52* Callaway X Tour Vintage, 58* Callaway X Tour Mack Daddy VintagePutter - Scotty...

Erik, I can say that Ive had similar problems the past month. I feel that I have all the tools in my game to be better then what my index says, but it just isnt happening for me. I play about three times a week and hit balls when Im not playing usually.

Ive been working mostly on tempo, and then out of nowhere it seems that something else in my game is giving me problems. Crazy game we play, thats what it comes down to for me. Inconsistency is my problem I think, I dont trust myself when it comes down to it.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

I would venture to say that "golf" is the hardest game there is to play well! I've been up and down the ladder and completely wore out a hip (replaced) playing this game. I've played scratch golf and I've played around 90. I don't think I've ever shot over 100 however, at least I don't remember shooting that score. Right now I'm playing right at 85 but I do have an excuse......I had major surgery 8 months ago and I don't have the strength I use to have. I also gave up golf in 99 and now I just starting up again. My son, who played on the Nike Tour, has just started playing again and he is scoring in the mid 70s now. He has several 71s also in the last couple months. He outdrives me by 100 yds and my reverse pivot is killing me. I did go from stiff Ping Zings to graphite shafted Great Big Berthas and that has helped me a bunch.

Golf is not a game, it's a way of life!

Driver...Cubic Balance offset
Fairway wood......Flying Saucer
3-Wood....Cleveland LauncherIrons.......Callaway Great Big Bertha w/graphite shaftswedges....Cleveland sand wedge, Callaway Lob wedge putter....Claveland VAS.

Sometimes I really, really hate this game. I truly do.

Most of it is because of what Erik is (or was) going through. You feel like nothing has changed and that you should be playing good golf, but it just isn't there. I don't know if it is concentration or simplifying your thought process but nothing is more frustrating than knowing you can play better and not being able to do it.

Golf is a game of confidence, somone said . Confidence in your ability to do what you know you can and allowing yourself to do it. Anything that gets in the way of that must be removed.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Amen to all the sentiments expressed above. This is a hard game. I have noticed that my game improves considerably if I walk instead of ride a cart. I have a regular group that plays a few days a week and they just will not walk and another group that only walks. I always play 5 to 10 strokes better with the walkers. I don't feel so rushed to hurry and finish the round, there are less outside distractions, the pace of play fits my body rhythms better.

Also, when I walk, I feel like a golfer. I just don't get that same feeling when I ride in a cart? Anyone else notice this phenomenon, or am I just nuts?

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

• Administrator
Amen to all the sentiments expressed above. This is a hard game. I have noticed that my game improves considerably if I walk instead of ride a cart. I have a regular group that plays a few days a week and they just will not walk and another group that only walks. I always play 5 to 10 strokes better with the walkers. I don't feel so rushed to hurry and finish the round, there are less outside distractions, the pace of play fits my body rhythms better.

I think it might have more to do with feeling the ground beneath your feet, paying attention to the breezes, and keeping the circulation going than anything relating to speed, because you can still always play a "proper speed" from a cart.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You might very well be right. I have noticed when I walk that by the time I have arrived at my ball, I have already considered all those things like wind speed and direction, lay of the ball, position of the green, etc.

The other thing is... In my cart group, there is a guy who likes to ride with me and he is such a bitcher.. It is always too hot, or the course maintenance is too poor, or the greens are too hard/soft (changes week to week), or the players in front are too slow.... Yada, yada, yada.. By the second or third hole, I am totally off my game. I really would like to find a way to shed him without hurting his feelings.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

I feel your pain... I think the hardest thing for me is turn on during Tournament play, the past month has been a nice month of golf... many of my scores were coming in 79-81 and a one 76 (which is low for me, mainly because the short stick is not my strongest skill)... I just think my mind gets cluttered, starts thinking about mechanics and all of the jazz, instread of trusting my swing and just hitting the ball... anyways, to keep it short I just played in the Massachusetts Public Links Championship qualifier and shot 81 in a practice round (that would not get me in, but its close so I'm fine with the score) and came out the next day and posted a 99 for the tournament, couldn't put anything together... started to swing real hard, let my playing partners get on my nerves... I lost a lot of confidence that day, I have never taken a lesson but that's soon going to change... wish me luck

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

I play much better when I ride. One the extra bit of exertion keeps muscles at peak. Two it is just easier for me to find and keep a rythym. Three, I get motion sick easily and whizzing around looking for lost balls etc., gets me off kilter.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

...I always play 5 to 10 strokes better with the walkers...Anyone else notice this phenomenon, or am I just nuts?

It's similar for me too, but I contribute it to two things - while you're walking up to your ball you have more time. This time is spent on letting frustration out (if so happend you hit a bad shot

) and prepare the next shot - get a clue on distance, line of play, etc,etc. Second - when I'm walking I'm tired. When I'm tired I rarely try to "jump out of shoes", pace of the swing is slower - both recepies for a good contact.

I'm trying out a concept of writing down the things i know I forget on a little ringed notbook i can fit in a cargo pocket/in my side bag pocket. If things start going a-rye, then I plan on just looking at that and see what i was forgetting.

I think i've hit a whole bucket of balls having no idea why i'm doing way worse than the last time i was at the range, and come to realize that i was totally not doing some key things that help me make a good swing.

I'm terrible, but i have fun.

In the Bag:
Taylormade r580XD 10.5° Reg flex
3 + 5 wood - Dunlop graphite shaft parts from a set3-pw - Dunlop set that looks sorta like ping I3's (i'm sorely in need of an upgrade.)LW/SW/GW - Adams black 52, 56, 60 degree wedges.Putter - Ping Karsten Anser 34"Bac...

When I'm playing my best, I'm not thinking about anything.

Good Point. I really don't have a swing thought when I am really on. I just set up and all I can see is the shape and flight of the shot in my head. My body just makes the swing to replicate that shot. In other sports, they call it being in the zone and I have had it happen while playing soccer a few times. I have had it in golf several times. As a matter of fact, I have gotten that feeling every time I broke 80... Those times when you just know you are gonna hit it pure.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

i found though it helps to remember some good things beforehand. Though most of the time, when i'm swinging well, i just know what i have to do, and don't have to tell myself.

I'm terrible, but i have fun.

In the Bag:
Taylormade r580XD 10.5° Reg flex
3 + 5 wood - Dunlop graphite shaft parts from a set3-pw - Dunlop set that looks sorta like ping I3's (i'm sorely in need of an upgrade.)LW/SW/GW - Adams black 52, 56, 60 degree wedges.Putter - Ping Karsten Anser 34"Bac...

Note: This thread is 6509 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!