IGNORED

Anyone else HATE trying and buying new balls?

Note: This thread is 5344 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I agree. I wanted to try some new balls out the other day, but didn't want to spend a ton of money. Bough a sleeve of TM Red and Bridgestone e6+. I love the way e6+ feel. I have also been very lucky since I got a new set of clubs - 3 rounds played 3 pro-v1s found.

You will always find a lot of Prov1's on the course. There are a ton of high hc golfers who think their games will benefit from the ProV1.

FWIW... I am odd too... I never play found balls, never play logos, and don't trust anything refinished or recycled.

I'm with on this, but I don't mind trying new balls. My issue is that I find a ball I like and then they change them and not always for the better.

While equipment has changed a lot through the years, I think the ball has changed more in the last 10 years then any other piece of equipment. The Titleist Tour Balata that I played in the early 80's was the same as when they quit making it in the late 90's. The Pro V1 is today is nothing like the one that was first introduced.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

You can always get what I've been using.

$5 for 15

I also bought some TiTech Betas at like $10 for 18 or something. That's right. I buy golf balls at Wal*Mart. Wanna fight about it?

j/k. In all reality I buy whats cheap because I'm just starting. A few years ago, last time I played, I used a sleeve of Nike One's that someone tossed me and loved the way they felt. Next season I may give those a try again. I have also had good experiences with Noodle's.

9.5* Driver
3 Wood
21* 4 Hybrid
5-PW
Zebra 60* SW G-Force Putter

I am right there with you... in fact if I find a deal I'll buy 5-6 dozen balls at a time (if I know I like them). Anyway... just went through the same thing... was ready to try the gamer... ended up finding Maxfli Tour Fires at Dick's for $12 a dozen and feel pretty good so far. They seem to bite just as much as the Bridgestone B330 and maybe a touch more than the NXT Tours I had in the bag on full shots. They feel soft, not crazy soft, but some tackiness and certainly not as hard as some balls. For short chips around the green I was getting a decent check, not as much as something with a Urethane cover, but still pretty darn good... and I don't chew them up super fast as I have heard happens to Gamers. Anyway... I still have a box of NXT Tours to use up... but after that I have 5 dozen boxes of these and if they work as well as they felt for the few shots I hit with them this week, then I may go and buy a few more dozen before they are gone forever.

Tour Fires are very good. Can't get them here now but I

think they're the same ball as Taylor Made's Burner TP ball although the Burner TP has a more durable cover; didn't TM buy up Maxfli a while back? The Burner TP's my ball for a knock about or during the Winter when the greens are a bit softer. Excellent ball.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm playing Nike Soft Distance right now since I got a dozen as a gift. One ball has been thru 2 rounds, and one other has been hit once (provisional, found original). I like the feel, and might make it my new permanent ball, but I sure find alot of proV-1's around the course,too.

yes you are correct, it is the only item you use for every shot

I tried the gamers last week - other than ripping the face off them with ever wedge shot, they're good. For a little less "feel" but better durability try the Top Flite XL Tour - I know this sounds like a statement from the 1980s, but since Callaway bought them, Top Flites are really good ball again.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

A good alternative to buying new Pro V1/x is to either buy them in almost new for about $30 online or getting a ball like the NXT tour or the HX hot bite in the $30 dollar range as well. A method that works for me is I play used balls when praticing on the course and new balls when my score really matters.

You will always find a lot of Prov1's on the course. There are a ton of high hc golfers who think their games will benefit from the ProV1.

Yeah, I've found quite a lot of them where it appears I'm more willing to crawl under a bush or jump into a ditch to get my ball than the previous owner of the V1 :) I've hit them a few times but I realise that at my handicap I'm not going to tell the difference. Although I got within a few inches of my first ever birdie on a par 4 using one!

I've read a lot about balls, and as I'm really just starting I don't want to pay a lot for mine. I got 15 wilson ultras with my clubs which I haven't opened yet! I know these have been around forever, but are they any good? I quite like the cheap balls I'm using at the moment. I got a box of 24 Dunlop Quadra Links for £8.99 and in my very limited experience I can't fault them. I played with a Srixon soft feel for about half a round though and that did feel nice.

X-31 (Driver, 3 Wood, 3+4 Hybrids, 5-SW irons, Putter)
52 and 60 degree spin grind wedges
Balls: a big mixture of anything cheap, found, or given to me!

I love testing new balls, but hate the cost typically associated with trying out different balls.

I always look at the individual sleeves when I stop by the golf store, and every now and then I'll find a ball that I've been wanting to try and grab a sleeve.

Just today, I bought a sleeve of the Wilson Zips to try out, as I've heard good things about them.

In my X-Series Bag:

Driver G10 10.5*
Woods V-Steel 3W, 5W
Hybrids Pinemeadow ZR1 19* 3HIrons MX-19 4-GWWedge MP-R Black Nickel 54/10Putter Rossa Sebring AGSI+

well 1st round w the Gamer today
so far, it's an ok ball

it does stick VERY nice, with everything from a 5i to a wedge
i hit a 5i 200yds on a par 3 today and it spun to the side about 3 feet, it was pretty cool

BUT only real complaint.......not durable at all
i used 3 balls this round, they were chewed to chit
if this is the case, a sleev per round, that's like 4 rounds and my box is done

hmmmm/......the 330-RX's were way more durable than this

off the driver the RX is way more forgiving
i missed a few today and they leaked bad, as w the RX it would not have

but all in all, VERY good ball (Gamer) for $20 - GREAT job Top Flite, your back!

PS - I shot a 79 from the tips, which plays 6900yds, not sure of the slop though, Par 72
haha! had 2 doubles and 1 birdie - so OK round, but not great
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Pro V,Bridgestone 330-RX,Taylormade Red TP/LDP,Callaway i series- all great balls,but I`ve made 4 hole in ones,3 since May,with Pro V`s,so go Titleist!!!

I bought a golf ball retreiver last week a compact 18 ft model and so far I have picked up over 1000 golf balls including 275 pro v 1 ranging from brand spanking new to very usable.

I have good quantities of every golf ball you could imagine , I have so many pro v 1's that I now used the ones that look like they have been hit a couple of times for range balls, my bag shag is cramed full of them along with the small box to the right.

As for the people who say that balls who have been under water are damaged I say b.s. I have cut several in half with my band saw and not one drop of water or any water stains have been present.

Never again will I buy new balls plus my friends love me for giving them hundreds for their use.

Spend 39.95 plus a little of your time and pick up all you want.

well 1st round w the Gamer today

Hey Enis if you really want to PLAY Pro V1's go to Knetgolf.com order $100.00 worth i.e. 5 dozen apply the coupon code CANADA get a 20% discount and free shipping so you get 5 dozen mint Pro V1's for $115.96 US about 125 Canadian or $25 a dozen.

If you want a good ball with an excellent price point try the Precept Laddie Xtreme. Easy to compress, good distance, holds it's line well in all types of condition, average to slightly above average spin and a good roll when putting.

If you go to the usual discount places, like Walmart, you can get them as cheap as $7.99 a dozen.

I don't mind trying and buying new balls. There are so many options and the ability to purchase excellent, used balls at a cheap price is the way to go. I just picked up 4 dozen Nike One Black balls for $46. A great deal.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I hate when I have to buy balls

Know what your mean. I've settled down on the Prov1....when funds are tight, I'll just buy the "practice" version.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I'm not sure what's funnier, 36 handicappers wondering if they should play blades to improve ball striking, or 20 handicappers insisting they need to play a $4 golf ball.

But hey, it's your money - if you want to spend that kind of money on a ball that will end up in the trees or lake before the cover is damaged, go for it.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I'm not sure what's funnier, 36 handicappers wondering if they should play blades to improve ball striking, or 20 handicappers insisting they need to play a $4 golf ball.

Mmm I was gonna say exactly that. But, I didn't wanna sound like a dick I'm agreeing with you there.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

Mmm I was gonna say exactly that. But, I didn't wanna sound like a dick

I know - as soon as I read it, it sounded prickish. Having said that, people need a wakeup call.

Note: This thread is 5344 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!