IGNORED

Pain in Right Ribs - Torn Intercostal Muscle?

Ash1974

Kvuo, one note on the bright side--I have been playing since I was in my 20's and I'm 63 (almost) and hit the ball just about as good as I ever did. I am able to sense when

I am getting off track and how to correct it. Only given up about 5% of my distance at this stage, so you have a long way to go yet. My injury came when I hit a root hidden slightly

underground. If I would have seen it, I would never have tried to hit off it and I advise anyone anywhere around a tree to check the ground under a ball and thump with an iron to see

what's going on to make sure. This is the fastest way to screw up either your hands, wrists, ribs, back and who knows what else. I had to lay off 3 weeks. The first two I thought I would

never heal but then things happened quick.  It still hurt a little for a week or two when I hit iron shots, they produce much more shock, especially punch shots and wedges. Good luck, you

will get past this.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

Seems like I've caught a bad case of the "Kicked in the ribs" golfers curse. I haven't played golf since I was 14. I'm 28 now and just recently started up.

All started about 2 months ago. At the driving range first 2 weeks at the range 3 times a week for 1 1/2 hours hitting 2 - 3 buckets of balls about 200 balls. no issues. Had my first lesson after doing 60km ride and was really wamred up.  Towards the end of the 3rd week started getiing pain just below the shoulder blade and wrapping round me right side to just underneath the nipple, I was at this point wasn't trying to kill th golf ball yet. Following weekend, after week off, I tried again. Got even worse. Couldn't walk and on my back fro 2 days. Didn't go to a Dr as wasn't sure if it was that serious. Soldiered through it with no Golf or Dr for 5 weeks. Went bakc to the driving raneg this past weeknd warmed up for 5-10 minutes stretching and soft swings. Starting hitting my wedge to start out hit 30 or so balls was feeling ok little twinge here and there but nothing serious . Moved on to  hitting 6/7.irons and starting getting worse but thought I'd try work through it. I had no clue how serious this thing was. Hit 10 - 20 driver shots and was almost in tears. Stopped. I know it was stupid but just couldn't resist the urge to hit my new driver. Anyway in the same boat now. I live in Johannesburg South Africa. I read the first 2 or 3 pages of this forum and have decided i need help now. So physio first instead of the Dr/local GP?  I did see my local GP who said it was amild strain and took ibuprofen for a week or so and just didn't play or swing any clubs. Didn't do much  At work now and don't have much time to work through the other pages of tghe forum but will tonight. Any help or advice would be much apprciated.

• 3 months later...

I am now in season 3 of pain in right ribs. It started in July 2011 with initial tightness and eventual right side back spasms (intercostal muscles) that made golf an unthinkable event. It only intensified during a round of golf. Every occurrence resulted in 2 to 3 weeks of constant discomfort and making sleep a chore as it was tough to get comfortable. I have seen doctors, chiropractors and been to sport medicine clinics. They all say I need to become more flexible and strengthen the core.

It was not until I found a sports therapist this past January that he discovered that the right side of my pelvis was elevated resulting in my right leg being shorter, and I had a seized SI joint. With a seized SI joint, when I stand and lift my right knee, the hip turns in the socket to a certain point and then locks up forcing the pelvis back instead of the joint naturally turning and the pelvis staying in place. He felt that both of these is contributing to the tightness and strain on the rib cage area, but not the core issue. Regular sessions with the therapist and daily exercises he has prescribed has finally got me to a point where I have no tightness whatsoever. My plan was to not play at all in 2013, but recent improvements have me thinking there may be a possibility.

The therapist suggests it will take 5 or 6 months to be past these issues, although he has treated a college volleyball player with similar symptoms for almost 2 years. I suggest staying away from golf and sticking with a prescribed therapy plan is the best answer. Try and find a sports therapist that understands golf and the golf swing.

I sprained my intercoastal back in late October... It took a deep tissue massage of UNGODLY pain to work the sprain out and finish recovering.

I cannot stress enough about stretching your intercoastals... Its the hardest muscle group to apply any type of physical therapy to.

"Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.."

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

I have found you all because, having taken up golf a week ago (played about 20 rounds through my life, but very sporadically - 32 years old now), I took my new RBZ Stage 2 Driver to the range and hit 260 balls in about 90 minutes, after which I felt a little twinge in the ribs on my right side.  Two days ago I played 9 holes, and as I drove on the 9th (isn't it always just as you're about to finish??), I literally hit the ground, dropped the club, and stayed there for a good 30 seconds.  I have not been able to do much with my right arm since, and walking, breathing, sleeping, all bad, coughing - hell realm.  Just got back from the hospital as I was finding it hard to breathe - they have taken xrays and cannot see any obvious crack, so it appears just to be a really decent tear of an intercostal.

I have learned the hard way from this, and it looks from this thread like many others have.  I feel confident, just based on the current feeling, that a couple of weeks off then easing myself back in will do the trick, but I will keep you posted either way.  Can't stress enough to anyone reading this the importance of stretching all those little muscles through the chest and back.   This is horrible, and will probably put me out for 2-3 weeks.  Big price to pay for not stretching.  They are hard to recuperate, I'd take a bicep strain over one of these little buggers any day, at least with one of those you can work around it, these little guys are involved in just about everything you do to exist....anyway....stretch, is my point.  And when you feel a twinge, don't think it'll be fine and play through it, at least not where your back and chest are concerned.

Nice to have found this resource, being new to the game I am sure I will find much use for it.  Has been very helpful hearing others' experience and treatment methods, I am finding the standard ice and heat treatment, with Diclofenac (Voltaren) for inflammation is the ticket, along with large doses of doing bugger all.  I will be doing a lot of chipping and putting the next couple of weeks.  :)

• 2 months later...

Physiotherapy did it in the end for me. Be warned, it hurts like hell. Ice every chance you get, too.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I did something like this recently.  Had been practicing a lot because I was going to an out of town tournament and didn't want to embarrass myself.  Was killing 3-wood at the range one day and lovin it!  Then in mid swing, a killer pain shot right through the right ribs.  I was able to make a couple more swings, but effectively called it a day due to the pain.  I was afraid I'd be out for a while. But ultimately I just laid off a few days then eased back into it.

It took a couple months to heal, but I never really quit. Just played less often and swung a lot more in control.  Might have even helped with the swing a little bit.  It hurt pretty bad for a while though.  Obviously not telling to you to go back out there since your case might be different - but it might be nice to hear that it possibly isn't all that bad.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
I have joined the club people. Been playing for just a couple of months now (late starter at 41) absolutely loving it, been told by every seasoned golfer I meet your gonna need lessons. So I booked six week course of group lessons starting last Wednesday it was my day off so went for a round in the morning chilled in the afternoon and lesson in the evening. Arrived at the range PGA pro busy so hit 50 balls then start lesson hit some balls for pro to see my swing, he changed a few things in my swing seasoned golfers spot on this guy is a miracle worker hit another 50 balls with a very big smile on my face perfect height and distance. Then bam I think I have been stabbed in the ribs serratus anterior strain, been nearly a week now and still painful standing up and turning in bed breathing not to bad now going to have to put the lessons on hold for a bit now but it is so frustrating after such an improvement in my game just after a one hour lesson. I think most my problem was doing too much not stretching and maybe the change in my swing (which is no fault of the pro) well I will rest for another week and see how I go. Sorry for venting my frustration on you poor people just reading this thread made me realise its not just me. Cheers Spen

I have joined the club people. Been playing for just a couple of months now (late starter at 41) absolutely loving it, been told by every seasoned golfer I meet your gonna need lessons. So I booked six week course of group lessons starting last Wednesday it was my day off so went for a round in the morning chilled in the afternoon and lesson in the evening. Arrived at the range PGA pro busy so hit 50 balls then start lesson hit some balls for pro to see my swing, he changed a few things in my swing seasoned golfers spot on this guy is a miracle worker hit another 50 balls with a very big smile on my face perfect height and distance. Then bam I think I have been stabbed in the ribs serratus anterior strain, been nearly a week now and still painful standing up and turning in bed breathing not to bad now going to have to put the lessons on hold for a bit now but it is so frustrating after such an improvement in my game just after a one hour lesson. I think most my problem was doing too much not stretching and maybe the change in my swing (which is no fault of the pro) well I will rest for another week and see how I go.

Sorry for venting my frustration on you poor people just reading this thread made me realise its not just me.

Cheers Spen

I am also a new golfer and cannot emphasize enough how important stretching is for me.  I had a similar, albeit less sever from your description, rib injury after hitting a few fat shots on a mat. It was about a week before I got better.  About two months after that I went to the range and started swinging without stretching.  Before long I had another sore rib.  The pain never got above a 1-2, but it was always there.  Taking it easy seemed to work and I was back to normal in about ten days.  I have been fine since then.  Good luck on your recovery!

• 7 months later...

I, it seems have the same problem. Was not sure what it was.

In my case however the  lower right ribs towards the side and back hurt like hell (coughing and sudden movements are felt), ..probably from not warming up properly prior to a Long Drive competition.

Thanks all.The suggestions and help posted here are much appreciated.

I've been using Transact Patches which may or may not be of as much help as Nurofen / Ibuprofen. but a week off has helped some. Probably another week or 2 to be safe.

(I am dying to get back on the range and to my lessons..serious withdrawal symptoms..the most I ever miss is one maybe 2 days a week)

• 4 weeks later...

OK guys not posted on this for a long time on this, I have found regular exercise and stretching helps big time, but a breakthrough has been a foam roller :)

Get one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/66Fit-Elite-Foam-Roller--Blue/dp/B002IKO2YU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid;=1400840923&sr;=8-2&keywords;=foam+roller

and then do this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6YpH4iAQQo&index;=10&list;=FLoKfvP8h88_tu-eV7k3kTEA

Do it every day and you will be amazed with how it fee's you up, like a deep physio massage or trigger point :)

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

You know what really hurts? Taking a lacrosse shot clocking in around like 75mph right to the ribs from seven yards away. I had a deep contusion on my rib for two weeks or so....not fun.

We must harness the crystiles.

:tmade: Nubbins B7 Putter

:tmade: r7 460 Graphite Driver

• 2 weeks later...
I've also joined the excruciatingly painful sore rib club. I can't remember the specific incident, but have just re-commenced playing regularly after a long break, and have clearly been spending too much time at the range. To add to the pain, I've also got the flu, so every time I sneeze or cough, it's like somebody sticking a dagger in my side. My advice, don't overdo practice and make sure you warm up properly!

Add me to the list.  I felt the first twinge almost two weeks ago but the pain wasn't horrible.  Went out 4 days later with only some slight pain.  I had a tough shot from a green side bunker where the ball was just below the lip of the bunker.  I took a full swing and club caught the lip of bunker and stopped.  The pain felt like someone stabbed me with a knife in my ribs on the left side.  I tried to work through it at the range this past Saturday and after a few slow practice swings, the pain was too severe to continue.  I've been nursing it since, lots of ice and just today got to the point where I can sleep without waking up in pain every time I move and can take a deep breath without wincing.

I'm just curious what the average recovery time to get back to swinging a club, seems like 3 weeks is about average on this thread.

Joe Paradiso

Add me to the list.  I felt the first twinge almost two weeks ago but the pain wasn't horrible.  Went out 4 days later with only some slight pain.  I had a tough shot from a green side bunker where the ball was just below the lip of the bunker.  I took a full swing and club caught the lip of bunker and stopped.  The pain felt like someone stabbed me with a knife in my ribs on the left side.  I tried to work through it at the range this past Saturday and after a few slow practice swings, the pain was too severe to continue.  I've been nursing it since, lots of ice and just today got to the point where I can sleep without waking up in pain every time I move and can take a deep breath without wincing.

I'm just curious what the average recovery time to get back to swinging a club, seems like 3 weeks is about average on this thread.

Took me a good one full months without swinging at all.  I couldn't even putt!!  Light swing in 2nd month.  Full swing but distance diminished.  After almost 8-9 mo, I still feel it time to time but now I just reduce swing and take some rest.  Ice and rest are two best medicine.  Time to work on putting and gradually chipping.

• 1 month later...
Hi guys. I have the same injury, 8 meters fell from waterski with my breast splashing the ocean! The impact was very hard and feel directly hurts! Stupid as always, I continued for another 10 minutes of high speed. That probably makes worse. Did not touch my golf club for more than two weeks, tried some airswing at home, hurt like hell at full swing! (Putting=no problem). Over 4 weeks I already booked the golfathon (180 holes in 5 days) at mission hills China with 5 friends! This pain do really suck, I would do anything to heal this fast! Because the marathon of golf is waiting for me! Every day I Pray for to tee off with my driver during golfathon instead off the tee with my putter! ;)

• 7 months later...

Bump... This thread has really been a helpful read for me. I strained the muscles around my rib cage a few days ago... the discomfort was there but not really noticeable so I went back to taking full swings a couple days later. The pain became very noticeable after a few swings so I backed off and did not hit that many shots. Good thing because as I researched the injury, the link to this thread came up and from everyone's input, I've decided to just set the clubs down for a good couple weeks as opposed to just a few days rest. I don't get the sense that my injury is as severe as some of the others have posted (I hope) so I won't tempt fate and keep swinging the club until I feel completely healed.

Its just disappointing as I have been making great progress indoors with my swing. I hope I don't lose too much momentum. I suppose I can just work on my putting for a while now instead.

Thanks again for everyone's input on here. I'll update in a couple weeks with my progress. It was helpful to hear from a couple people that this injury does not necessarily mark impending doom on a golf season, and that it may largely depend on how much care and treatment you give initially.

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice