IGNORED

What degree wedges should I carry

mc0388
Note: This thread is 3917 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Currently I have a 46*PW, 50*AW and 60*SW. I think 46,50,54,58-60 would be the best combo.

In my
Extreme Sport bag:
FTiq 10° Stiff Flex Driver
906F4 Fairway 15.5°
SQ 3/5i Hybrids 21°/26° AP1 S300 4-W SV Tour 54° Vokey Oil Can 58° Nike iC 20-10A Blade Putter"The only Pro-V that I use is my shampoo." - Me

I play a 47* PW, 50*, 54* and 58* Vokey's (as seen in my signature). I like the way it plays. I spent a lot of time opening up the 58* for shots between 80 and 30 yards, so I don't really have a need for a 60*. I really like this set up.

It's all a matter of personal preference. I would like to see a constant gap between the all clubs, but it is especially important for the scoring clubs. Having such a large gap can contribute to missing some scoring opportunities. It is a thought like this that is often overlooked by players.

In my bag:

DRIVER: 905T w/ Fujikura E360 Shaft
3 Wood 906 F4 w/ Aldila Proto "By You"
Irons: MP 30 w/ Rifle 5.5 Wedges Oil Can 50*, Vokey SM 54* and 58*Putter: C-06

i rock a 52, & 56 abover the PW (which i think is a 47 or 48 degree)
works well for me...thinking about a 60, but not sure how bad i need it
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

thinking about a 60, but not sure how bad i need it

You probably don't need one. Its use is really questionable unless I'm hitting out of a greenside bunker or I have no green to work with and need to drop in right on the pin and that never works out anyway lol. Can't even use it for chipping very much because the loft is too high I find myself chipping with a AW/PW or 9I half the time anyway unless the hole is right next to me.

I just keep the T Dubs because I'm solid with it out of greenside bunkers for putting it close. It was a gift and my first SW and even though its scuffed up, I don't think I could part ways with it.

In my
Extreme Sport bag:
FTiq 10° Stiff Flex Driver
906F4 Fairway 15.5°
SQ 3/5i Hybrids 21°/26° AP1 S300 4-W SV Tour 54° Vokey Oil Can 58° Nike iC 20-10A Blade Putter"The only Pro-V that I use is my shampoo." - Me

i rock a 52, & 56 abover the PW (which i think is a 47 or 48 degree)

I have to disagree with the post above. I believe you could find a lot of use, and be more versatile in more situations with a high lofted, low bounce wedge. Depending on the shot, it could really come in handy.

In my bag:

DRIVER: 905T w/ Fujikura E360 Shaft
3 Wood 906 F4 w/ Aldila Proto "By You"
Irons: MP 30 w/ Rifle 5.5 Wedges Oil Can 50*, Vokey SM 54* and 58*Putter: C-06

I'd remove the 58 or 60 and carry a 52. Personally, I only carry a 52 and 58 and that's plenty of wedge for most people when you can peg your 1/2 and 3/4 distances with both. A 3/4 52 will take care of your 56 for example and a 58 is more than enough loft for me (since I hit the ball quite high), In fact I get more height on my 52 than most do with a 56 or 60. So do what's right for you, but also don't short yourself out of a gap between a 3w and a 3I/3H either.
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

if you want to keep the 58 get it bent to 60 then get a 52 and keep the sw

Great idea. (sucks because the 58* has 58* stamped on the sole).... Oh well

G10 (VS Proto 65 X) or 905S (speeder X) / X Tour 3W (VS Proto S) / Adams Idea Tour Proto 18* (VS Proto S) / S59 Tour, Z-Z65 Cushin (D2) / Mizuno MP-T 51-06 , 56-10, / Miz TP Mills #6 ~or~ Cleveland BRZ #5

I have to disagree with the post above. I believe you could find a lot of use, and be more versatile in more situations with a high lofted, low bounce wedge. Depending on the shot, it could really come in handy.

im pretty good w the ol 56º around the greens

1/4 to 3/4 shots i know the distances to a tee..only trouble is, my MAX is 85-90yds w it i see some dudes use their 60º up to 110! which is crazy to me after 90yds (depending on wind etc.) thats where my gap fills in - from 90+ to about 115yds i rarely find myself in that range, i try to play to a sand wedge or PW distance if i can find i have more control the 60º might come in handy on those tight greenside bunkers w higher lips hmm..maybe it's on the x-mas list??? :)
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

I use 56* 58* and 60* wedges. I noticed I have a large gap in distances between my PW 135 yds and my 56* 90-100yds. Is this yardage gap necessary to fill? I rarely find myself at that distance, but I am <100yds a lot

Any chance you could choke down on your PW 1/4 inch to cover that 110- yard distance? You have three wedges only two degrees apart, but they're from different companies and combine to give you a good yardstick progression in close. Let us know what you decide. This was a very interesting post!

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Any chance

Practice time is very limited for me (my 6 month old son Jaxon is my picture) and I dont think I have time to hone in 1/2 and 3/4 swings that will be effective, I prefer 100% swings, so figuring my distances with a choke down could be a possibility.

Since posting this thread, I have considered many different options, odd enough that I have lost sleep over the matter. Coming to a realization that wedges should have an even separation of lofts meaning (as Dub eluded): my S59 PW has a loft of 47* and I also have 56*, 58*, and 60* which leaves a large gap of 9* between the 47* and 56*. My figuring is that I should carry a 52* 56* and 60* that compliments my 47* S59 PW. So now I need to buy another club (52*)! Argh, my wife is going to kill me?#$@ My theory for buying golf clubs to date has been to ignore the name of the manufacture and buy simply what I hit the best. I think that is evident by looking at my bag. SO, is it worth having all my wedges from the same OEM?

G10 (VS Proto 65 X) or 905S (speeder X) / X Tour 3W (VS Proto S) / Adams Idea Tour Proto 18* (VS Proto S) / S59 Tour, Z-Z65 Cushin (D2) / Mizuno MP-T 51-06 , 56-10, / Miz TP Mills #6 ~or~ Cleveland BRZ #5

Since posting this thread, I have considered many different options, odd enough that I have lost sleep over the matter. Coming to a realization that wedges should have an even separation of lofts meaning (as Dub eluded):

Yes, but most importantly, continuity with your grips and shafts. Predictability with your scoring clubs is very important. It's tough to resist what's on sale and looks good in the store.

Driver= Titleist 909D3 9.5 deg
3 Wood= Titleist 909F3 15 deg
Hybrid= Adams Idea Pro Black 19 deg
Irons 3-P= Titleist 695 CB
Wedges= Titleist Vokey Spin Mill 54/10, 60/4Putter= Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 1.5Ball= Titleist ProV1x, NXT Tour

yes 52 degree gap wedge. Sell your 58 though, no need to have 5 wedges

Exactly my thought...If you have a 60, why a 58? Or vice versa depending on your ability. A Gap Wedge (52) is definitely a stick you want to consider in this situation since you have such a yardage difference between your Pitching Wedge and Sand Wedge.

You either have the softest hands in the world or the touch of an angel on your approach. My bag includes a PW (47), GW (52), SW (56) and LW (60) with minimal bounce on all of them. I am a very long hitter and it is crucial I have a complete set of wedges that are appropriate for all situations.
My Bag:

Nike Str8-fit Driver 8.5; Grafalloy ProLaunch Red; Stiff
Nike Dymo #3 Wood; Stiff
Nike Sumo #3 Hybrid; StiffNike Victory Red Irons; 3-PW; BladesTitleist Vokey Spin Milled Wedges; 52,56,60; ChromeNike Oz Blade PutterTitleist Pro-V1

I use 56* 58* and 60* wedges. I noticed I have a large gap in distances between my PW 135 yds and my 56* 90-100yds. Is this yardage gap necessary to fill? I rarely find myself at that distance, but I am <100yds a lot

Yep, I have a thought.

As others have said, the 58 and 60 are so close that you are essentially carrying the same club twice. You could ditch one of those unless you have some shots you developed for those specific clubs. Your PW is around 48 degrees or so. That's the big gap. My PW distance maxes out around 125 but I can make it a 100 yard max by gripping down to the end of the grip and/or opening the face. I settled on these: PW =< 120 51* =< 100 54* =< 85 56* =< 75

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Just go in 4 degree increments... say your PW is 47*, I'd go with a 50*, 54* 58* and 62*. (yes, I know that's only 3* between your PW and 50* but it's pretty close)

Driver: Titleist 907D2 9.5 Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Pro Black 18*
Irons: Mizuno MP60 (4-PW)
Wedges: Vokey SM 50/54/58/62
Putter: Yes! CallieBall: TM PentaHome course: DeBell Golf Club http://www.debellgolf.com/

Practice time is very limited for me (my 6 month old son Jaxon is my picture) and I dont think I have time to hone in 1/2 and 3/4 swings that will be effective, I prefer 100% swings, so figuring my distances with a choke down could be a possibility.

Alternatively you could add one wedge and remove two. Net change = 1 less wedge.

If you practice with the 58* wedge you can hit any lob/pitch/knockdown that the 56* or 60* can do. Add a 52* wedge and put in similar practice as with the 58*. There will be no gaps.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Look at the bright side. Twelve years from now when Jaxon asks you, "Daddy, what wedge mix should I have," you can pull up this blog!

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes, but most importantly, continuity with your grips and shafts. Predictability with your scoring clubs is very important. It's tough to resist what's on sale and looks good in the store.

I regrip all my clubs to match, and usually dont care whats on sale, I hit everything, if I hit a used club better than a new one, ill buy it.

I do agree that I should have continuity with my wedges however. So Im thinking of buying a 52* Ping M/B and storing the eye2 SW that I love so much. That way all my wedges are the M/B's (Ill just have to practice a lot out of the sand with them)

I have PW (I think 48*, part of the iron set) then 52, 56 and 60 (Upswing). I mostly use the 52* 60-100 yds and then the 56 inside 60. The only time I break out the 60 is if I need to get the ball up in the air and fast... or I'm chipping onto an downhill green. I got really comfortable with 1/2-3/4 swings when I only used a PW, so I tend to club up and shorten my swing on the approach. I only do a full swing when I'm 175+ yds out.

Before a few months ago, I only used a PW, and it worked well. Everyone's game is different, just stay within your comfort-zone and you'll be good.
Cheers!

cf
Driver: 907 D2 10.5º || Fairway Woods: Viper Tour 14º & 18º || 3 - PW: 845s Oversized || Wedges: Upswing Golf 52º, 56º, 60º || Putter: Pinseeker Bombshell HS-1

Note: This thread is 3917 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!