IGNORED

Big Break Disney

Duffy
Note: This thread is 3687 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For JR it was 225 to carry the water, 267 to the flag.

Sorry guys lol :) Still, 225 to clear the water in an elimination challenge.... Im sure he could do it in a regular round though. I mean he hit it 15-20 yrds short of clearing too. Maybe just a mishit.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was funny when Mike plugged his approach shot against Blake....I mean yeah that sucks but given the softness for the ground, why wouldnt you take a really steep wedge onto the green? He could of at least made par, no?

Agreed, I thought that was a very poor choice. Blake is very likely to make 3 and by taking a drop behind the water Mike gave himself 50-50 of 4 or 5. That's brilliant. Mike has made several comments about bad luck, that if it were his ball (K-Max's shot) it would have plugged in the mud instead of skipping out. Well, Mike finally had the woe is me example he was begging for and instead of taking a stab and moving the ball a few inches or a few feet, enabling a not-impossible chip or putt for par, he sulked back across the water.

The only rationalization would have been fear of injury but it's mud, not rocks or roots.

I did think Andrew's bunker shot was perfect. Kevin just needs to calm down. I really didnt want to see JR leave the show, but he knew he couldnt hit that 3 wood 267 to carry water! Mike had the 225 yd shot since he out drove JR. I thought it was funny when Mike plugged his approach shot against Blake....I mean yeah that sucks but given the softness for the ground, why wouldnt you take a really steep wedge onto the green? He could of at least made par, no?

I agree he should have played the plugged lie like a sand shot and had a better chance of getting up and down then trying to hole out a 3rd shot from over water, unless he was expecting Blake to 3 putt.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Sorry guys lol :) Still, 225 to clear the water in an elimination challenge.... Im sure he could do it in a regular round though. I mean he hit it 15-20 yrds short of clearing too. Maybe just a mishit.

My thoughts are that he should be able to do it anytime. Assuming he would to win the show, he'll have no more "regular" rounds. They will all be pressure packed. You're not going to do real well on tour hitting 200 yard 3 woods.

I just hope the show gets better. Aside from some shots from Andrew and Vincent, there's not been a whole lot of quality shots this year. Gipper has proved to everyone that distance doesn't matter (for those that didn't already know). Either him or Tony made a comment last night that he could hit a 9 iron 175 yards. That's awesome but not if you're hitting it all over the map.

My thoughts are that he should be able to do it anytime. Assuming he would to win the show, he'll have no more "regular" rounds. They will all be pressure packed. You're not going to do real well on tour hitting 200 yard 3 woods.

I think that is entire BS. A 9 iron 175 yards? If you hit a squared up 9 iron 175 yards, I bet the club head speed would have to be close to 200 mph.

As for JR, it's a mixed bag. If you're going to play on Tour, you have to reach that green in 2. Sure he let Mike off the hook, but Mike's ball is essentially teed up in the rough, and you have to want destiny in your own hands. Cant' take eagle out of the equation.

A few of you have commented on that if you can't do the big shots you're not going to make it on the tour anyway so ... might as well go home. I'd point out there are a bunch of guys (e.g. Tim Clark) who make a great living hitting wedge shots to par 5's. Each has to work to his own strengths with the point being that golf is a game played between the ears and JR mucked it up. If putting is your big strength, beat someone on the darn green. There is also a difference between a shot someone can handle and a shot someone can handle under pressure. Andrew was surprised he went for it and so am I.

Driver: G10 9.5*
Fairway Woods: 3 & 5
Hybrid: 21*
Irons: I10 4 - 9
Wedges: 48* + Spin-Milled 54 & 60*Putter: Rossa FontanaBall: B330-RX

I think that is entire BS. A 9 iron 175 yards? If you hit a squared up 9 iron 175 yards, I bet the club head speed would have to be close to 200 mph.

I believe it. I believe they said something earlier in the show where Gipper was hitting a gap wedge when everyone else was hitting an 8 or 9.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

December issue of Golf Digest has a short note on Tiger's win at Firestone in August. One of his key shots was a 8 iron from 179 yards for a tap in birdie. Estimated club head speed was 105 mph which is what "most elite amateurs swing a driver" according to the article.

Average 15 handicapper hits an 8 iron 134 yards with a swing speed of 76 mph. Again, this is according to the article.

A few of you have commented on that if you can't do the big shots you're not going to make it on the tour anyway so ... might as well go home. I'd point out there are a bunch of guys (e.g. Tim Clark) who make a great living hitting wedge shots to par 5's. Each has to work to his own strengths with the point being that golf is a game played between the ears and JR mucked it up. If putting is your big strength, beat someone on the darn green. There is also a difference between a shot someone can handle and a shot someone can handle under pressure. Andrew was surprised he went for it and so am I.

I would argue that even though he may not hit it in a tournament, had Tim Clark attempted that shot, he would have at least got it over the water even if it didn't hit a good one. That's what I meant by my comments. Not saying JR should have went home because he cannot hit a 267 yard 3 wood. Just that at the very least even if it did mishit it he still should have carried it over the water. He wasn't even close to carrying it over the water it didn't look like.

I understand that people hit bad shots. I've seen pros flat out shank the ball before, it happens... but when you're as good of a player as JR is and the other guys on the show are, hitting a 3 wood 225 yards is a very easy shot.

^ nerves, at least now he knows what he needs to work on since the rest of his game seemed solid.

and

gipper and toney both SMASH the ball. believe it. Just because you can't do it doesn't mean others can't.

What's In My Bag?
Driver : Diablo
3wood : Diablo
Hybrid : 3DX RC Ironwood #3 20*
Irons : j36 cb's Putter : Tour Platinum 7081Ball : TP Black LDPHome Course :Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University 74.7/134Eagle Ridge Golf Club 73.0/131

I understand that people hit bad shots. I've seen pros flat out shank the ball before, it happens... but when you're as good of a player as JR is and the other guys on the show are, hitting a 3 wood 225 yards is a very easy shot.

Easy shots become hard shots under pressure. If the last four weeks of this show don't make that painfully obvious there is probably nothing I can say to convince you.

Even if he clears the water, does that make for a better option than the layup? If his 'bread and butter' shot is say 85 yards, why the heck would he want to risk carrying the water to then hit a 25 - 35 yard pitch that isn't his bread and butter?

Driver: G10 9.5*
Fairway Woods: 3 & 5
Hybrid: 21*
Irons: I10 4 - 9
Wedges: 48* + Spin-Milled 54 & 60*Putter: Rossa FontanaBall: B330-RX

Shady editing this week. In Golfgal's interview with Blake he says Big Break showed shots out of sequence, including his final two shots in the circle challenge. Based on the order we were shown, the second one earned 3 points, setting up the final shot to determine who would face elimination. Blake got 1 point on that shot, not enough.

But according to Blake, the 1 point shot was the second shot, meaning he and Mike were eliminated from catching Andrew and Kevin. Blake was so disgusted at his failure that he marched to the nearby ball, only 10 feet away, and smacked it into the center circle for the max 3 points.

After the pathetic distance challenge to begin the episode, Big Break was apparently desperate for some suspense so they finessed the shot order. I'll have to watch it again, to listen to Vince and Stephanie on the call of that 3 point shot. They lose some credibility with me if they called it as if the outcome were still in limbo.

Shady editing this week. In Golfgal's interview with Blake he says Big Break showed shots out of sequence, including his final two shots in the circle challenge. Based on the order we were shown, the second one earned 3 points, setting up the final shot to determine who would face elimination. Blake got 1 point on that shot, not enough.

They could always go back and film their commentary later to fit their editing. They always cut away to them anyways and have them doing voice-overs so its not hard for them to edit it and make it seem as if its happening real time.

What's in my hoofer 2 golf bag:

Driver:: R9 9.5* with Fujikura Rombax 7Z08 shaft in X-stiff
3 wood:: R9 15* with Fujikura Motore F1 65g in X-stiff
2-PW: TA2 with Dynamic Gold X-100Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 53* Gap and 60* LobPutter: Pro Platinum Newport 2 with custom paint and stamp on heal/toeBall:

Most of there shows (including game shows) have a disclamer that says they the parts of the show have been edited that did not effect the end result.

As a veiwer i can't say this bother me, but I can see why this drives the guys on the show crazy.
Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

Easy shots become hard shots under pressure. If the last four weeks of this show don't make that painfully obvious there is probably nothing I can say to convince you.

You're correct, the better shot BY FAR was to layup. I've not said otherwise. The only point I've tried to make is that it should have been a easy shot. 225 carry with a 3 wood for a scratch+ golfer is nothing; even under pressure. The pressure did get to him and he ended up hitting a 3 wood about a 195 yards. He is not trying out for the high school golf team here, he's trying to get into a PGA Tour tournament. How does he think the pressure is going to be there if he (and the other guys) can't handle the Big Break?

I wanted Mike to go. He really is pissing me off. When his 9 iron was short of the par 3 and in the hazard, he was like "what else would I do rather than rehit my shot?"

The guy said he could have played it, but his head was so much up his ass that he actually refused to chip it. "I obviously can't hit that." What's up with that? Getting it on the green and two putting would give him the same bogey as getting it up and down from 170 yards.

I wanted Mike to go. He really is pissing me off. When his 9 iron was short of the par 3 and in the hazard, he was like "what else would I do rather than rehit my shot?"

It was embedded in the ground wasn't it? It was also touching the line of the hazard, therefore it was technically in the hazard. If the ball landed and embedded and was touching the line of the hazard, he had no other choice but to re-tee or play it. Playing it wasn't an option since it was embedded. I could be wrong but he could have also just pulled the ball back across the water and dropped (rather than re-teeing). Re-teeing probably would have been the smart play though to ensure a good lie.

Note: This thread is 3687 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!