IGNORED

unsolicited swing tips

pounc007
Note: This thread is 5301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is it just me or does it really bug everyone else when some hack is out at the driving range telling you how to correct everything with your swing. I had some jerk today keep telling me how to quit "hooking" it when I was working on drawing my iron shots into the flag from the right edge of the green. Then he didn't want to put his money where his mouth was when I bet him $20 I could carry one of his drives with my 2 Iron.

In my Hoofer Bag:
9 degree Burner '09
975F 14.5 degree 3 wood
MP 52 2-5 Iron
MP 62 6-PWCleveland 588 Gap and Sand Wedge IC 20-10Low Round: 68 The Senator Golf Course Robert Trent Jones Prattville, Alabama

Has happened to me a couple times. An old guy was telling me how I should be hitting my 3 wood when I was consistently sending it out there 225 yards+ and straight. I politely said "thanks, but that's not what my instructor tells me to do" and he stopped talking to me.

Grom stand bag
SQ 5900 - 9.5*
Burner 15* and 18*
MT 20* Hybrid
CG Gold 4-PW CG14 52.10 SM 56.14 IC 20-10a 34" Putter SDF balls (was on sale)

I usually say, "Yeah I know" and then just keep doing my thing. Today I got to the range and was pushing and slicing EVERYTHING. Was so frustrated. After the first bucket I was pin seeking w/ irons, ripping the driver, and putting my wedges close. Most of the time its just something you gotta work out on your own so I just ignore those people because once I get my swing grooved its smooth sailing.

In my
Extreme Sport bag:
FTiq 10° Stiff Flex Driver
906F4 Fairway 15.5°
SQ 3/5i Hybrids 21°/26° AP1 S300 4-W SV Tour 54° Vokey Oil Can 58° Nike iC 20-10A Blade Putter"The only Pro-V that I use is my shampoo." - Me

As a stoopid noob, I'm not averse to suggestions... Though after my last lesson, I'm currently under pro's orders to Not Change Anything. *heh* My golf buddy has a tendency to be overly helpful, though it's hard to blame him -- I was still randomly air-whiffing when we met. (Though I just might start throwing things at him if I get another shouted suggestion during a backswing.)

He had an entertaining one last time we went out, though. I had found myself called out to the hospital, so he ended up finishing the back nine with Rather Strange Guy. On an approach shot to the 10th, my friend put a 6 iron fairly close to the green. Other Guy starts going on about how that shot should have been a 9 iron, and proceeds to "show" my friend from that spot.

He shanks one. Then shoots one off the toe into a tree. Then hits a 50 yard fat shot. He asks his daughter for another ball, and she tells him, "But the only one left is your Lucky Putting Ball!" (Yes. The guy swapped out for his Lucky Putting Ball on every hole.)

"That's okay, I'm going to hit it on the green." Dink. Splish. He tops the thing about twenty feet into the nearby pond. I give my friend kudos for resisting the urge to fall over laughing.

Currently in my bag:  Under Revision

I usually try to get to the range when one of the local colleges practices on it during the afternoons (I used to work with the coach and played in a couple tournaments with the coach's son) - that prevents any 'range pros' from bothering me, and gives me a confidence boost knowing I could beat half the kids on his team

There should be signs on the range and at every tee box that say "No Unsolicited Golf Tips".

I certainly have swing flaws but I'm working them out on my own. I have no problem asking a better player for advice. I notice that most golfers, even ones who are currently better than me, have swing flaws of thier own. I'm not looking to learn new bad habits.

Is it just me or does it really bug everyone else when some hack is out at the driving range telling you how to correct everything with your swing. I had some jerk today keep telling me how to quit "hooking" it when I was working on drawing my iron shots into the flag from the right edge of the green. Then he didn't want to put his money where his mouth was when I bet him $20 I could carry one of his drives with my 2 Iron.

So you respond by challenging him? That's a bit of a jerkish response, not to mention immature, if you ask me. Granted the context might be lost on me. There are much more polite ways to handle the situation is my point. I like to wear an iPod to the range personally and that keeps people from talking to me. Hell, if you don't want to listen to music then only wear headphones.

In My Bag (upgrading soon hopefully)

Driver: TiSI 10°
Irons: ISI Black Dot 3-PW (minus lost 5i)
Putter G5i Piper JMAX Milled Wedge 52°Ball: Whatever I Can Find

So you respond by challenging him? That's a bit of a jerkish response, not to mention immature, if you ask me. Granted the context might be lost on me. There are much more polite ways to handle the situation is my point. I like to wear an iPod to the range personally and that keeps people from talking to me. Hell, if you don't want to listen to music then only wear headphones.

You have got to be kidding. This was not a jerkish response. The only jerk here was the guy trying to give advice.

GIVING UNSOLICITED SWING TIPS IS EXTREMELY RUDE!. There is no excuse for it!

You have got to be kidding. This was not a jerkish response. The only jerk here was the guy trying to give advice.

"Hey why don't you try doing this in your swing"

"How about I fight you instead?" A bit exaggerated but it is the same point. What's not jerkish about a challenge. I dislike uncolicited advice as much as the next guy, but I handle myself better when the situation arises. Are you trying to prove you are a man? I don't quite understand. What if he decides to take the challenge and beats your ass in a match? It just seems like such a pointless immature response. Just say that you don't need advice and continue on. The visible insecurity level is astounding.

There should be signs on the range and at every tee box that say "No Unsolicited Golf Tips".

Most of the ranges I go to around here have clear signs that say "teaching by staff members ONLY."

I mean of course it is OK if you are somewhat experienced and you bring your friend who is brand new to the game and you want to help him out with basic stuff. The notice is to prevent exactly the problem stated in the OP.

Grom stand bag
SQ 5900 - 9.5*
Burner 15* and 18*
MT 20* Hybrid

"Hey why don't you try doing this in your swing"

He didn't challenge the guy to a fight only a contest of golf skills. The jerk obviously thought his golf skills were superior until he was called upon to put up or shut up.

As far as your question, "What's not jerkish about a challenge?" The last time I checked golf was a sport and sports are all about challenge. The only "visible insecurity" I see is the jerk's unwillingness to accept the challenge.

He didn't challenge the guy to a fight only a contest of golf skills. The jerk obviously thought his golf skills were superior until he was called upon to put up or shut up.

I am aware he didn't challenge him to a fight I merely trying to point out the likeness of both challenges being childish. How do you figure the person at the range thought his golf skill were superior to the OP? I often ask for advice from someone I am playing with even if that means just looking at my swing and seeing if something doesn't look right. A lot of the people I play with I would not consider better than me but their advice is still very valuable. I agree that sports are all about challenge but I think that challenge starts with challening yourself and this is moreso in golf than any other sport. If you want to challenge someone, challenge them to 18 holes in a fitting game. Challenging them to a one time $20 bet seems like a pretty clear way to try and show how masculine you are. Seemed like a pretty unreasonable reaction when simply saying "I am actually working on drawing/hooking" would suffice. If someone was persistent on helping me then I would end up being pretty rude to that person. The OP made what the person said to be a harmless mutter of advice.

Of course if the OP said it jokingly then everything I have said is moot relating to his encounter specifically; but very pointful in general. KBYE!

Happened to me in college. This guy was irritating and persistent. I bet him I could out drive his best of 3 drives with my one shot off my knees. He took the bait. Wasn't even close, easiest and most satisfying 20 bucks I ever made. By the way he said I was too wristy. His best was about 220

Most of the ranges I go to around here have clear signs that say "teaching by staff members ONLY."

Actually, those are put there to prevent golf teachers that are not associated with that range or course from using it to give lessons. But they could still be usefull in this case. If somebody tries to give you tips just point at the sign and tell them to leave you alone or you will have to report them :)

As my golf instructor says, "Amateurs teach amateurs to be amateurs." If they were any good at teaching they would be doing that for a living.

I agree with the headphone tip.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Actually, those are put there to prevent golf teachers that are not associated with that range or course from using it to give lessons. But they could still be usefull in this case. If somebody tries to give you tips just point at the sign and tell them to leave you alone or you will have to report them :)

Ahh this would make more sense. But you're right, it all applies.

As my golf instructor says, "Amateurs teach amateurs to be amateurs." If they were any good at teaching they would be doing that for a living.

This is true to a certain extent. However, I can bring a friend with very limited experience to the range, show him EXACTLY how to grip the club, how to stand, tell him to keep his head steady and his left arm straight and get him to make some contact with the ball so that they don't get frustrated right off the bat and think that hitting golf balls with a stick and a shovel on the end is just stupid.

These are the type of people who may not be into the sport and just want to mess around with it to see if they gain an interest. Once that interest is established and they have the bug, then it is time for starter clubs and/or to get into a class that provides clubs. By this point, hacking away at a couple hundred balls or so without perfect form isn't enough to ingrain permanent bad habits into their swing.

Grom stand bag
SQ 5900 - 9.5*
Burner 15* and 18*
MT 20* Hybrid

• Administrator

True to some extent, but at the same time I can beat a lot of the pros I know and I know I could teach better than they can, too.

I'm thinking of one in particular, too. Guy's barely a single digit handicapper and an even worse teacher... I realize he's the exception, not the rule, but that's why I said "true to some extent" too. Some amateurs would make great teachers but they don't want to be a golf pro for a living. ------ And to get back on topic, I don't remember the last time anyone ever told me anything on the range. I've offered my opinion "unsolicited" to others, but I put "unsolicited" in quotes because the times I'm thinking of involve friends who have told me "if you ever see anything, let me know" or in other ways already told me they'll listen. So it's more like "unprompted" (verbally). And it's a great power to wield, so I use it cautiously, and typically only in extreme cases where someone's really just going around in circles trying to figure something out for themselves.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Trying to help somebody is extremely rude! I mean, it's not like they make you listen tot their advice!

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

Note: This thread is 5301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!