IGNORED

The Stack and Tilt Golf Swing

iacas

Another reason for using S&T; which I haven't seen mentioned...when learning the conventional swing, I was always told to swing my arms on the downswing so they pass my head. But at the same time was being told the clubhead must lag behind the hands in order to create power. Hmmm. Tricky that one. The feeling I have now when I really crush the ball is that the clubhead is lagging way behind and it seems like I'm going to finish my swing before the clubhead arrives. The feeling is that the ball is behind me when I make contact (it's not as I'm not swaying forward). Obviously, this is a new feeling in direct contrast to previously swaying off the ball and then making a half-hearted slap at the ball with the arms. No wonder I never hit the ball in the sweet spot and suffered from weak shots to the right and pulls. Does anyone else feel this?

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Yep... my best shots always feel like my back is toward the ball at impact -- strange/

I should amend the above to say... my back feels like it is where the ball was before impact. I did not mean my back was toward the flight of the ball.

RC

Another reason for using S&T; which I haven't seen mentioned...when learning the conventional swing, I was always told to swing my arms on the downswing so they pass my head. But at the same time was being told the clubhead must lag behind the hands in order to create power. Hmmm. Tricky that one. The feeling I have now when I really crush the ball is that the clubhead is lagging way behind and it seems like I'm going to finish my swing before the clubhead arrives. The feeling is that the ball is behind me when I make contact (it's not as I'm not swaying forward). Obviously, this is a new feeling in direct contrast to previously swaying off the ball and then making a half-hearted slap at the ball with the arms. No wonder I never hit the ball in the sweet spot and suffered from weak shots to the right and pulls. Does anyone else feel this?

I can't say I have the same feeling. The feeling I have is at the top I am leaning towards the target and then I shift right and the ball is gone. At impact I am driving my hips towards the target hard but at my finish I couldn't be more relaxed. I know I have said this before but the difference I have already seen in my ball striking is just amazing. The power I have now and the ability to really strike down on the ball aggressively is different than I had before.

Brian

One of my big problems was swaying off the ball and my head lifting up (I now know this was due to turning my shoulders too level). Now I set up with my weight on the inside of my left foot and keep it there until I hit the ball. I guess the feeling I have is due to the fact I am no longer swaying and feel as if I'm moving left throughout my swing. This feeling gives me the impression the ball is well behind me at impact.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Question for Eric or any of the other S/T afficianados...I've been using this method since this Fall, to great success, but only at the range, as I live in the snowy Northeast. Am very anxious to take this to the course; does S/T work out of green-side bunkers?

• Administrator
Question for Erik or any of the other S/T afficianados...I've been using this method since this Fall, to great success, but only at the range, as I live in the snowy Northeast. Am very anxious to take this to the course; does S/T work out of green-side bunkers?

For short shots I don't think you really employ a full-swing type of idea.

That said, the idea of having your weight on the left foot for virtually every short-game shot is heavily espoused by a lot of short-game instructors, most notably Stan Utley. But other parts - like maintaining your flying wedge - make no sense out of the sand per se, and the swing path is often dramatically different.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
I played a par 3 today and was confronted by some unusual shots for the S&T.; How do you hit a full shot uphill lie?

I'm not sure what you mean? You hit it the same way as you always do with the adjustments for the higher ball flight. You may want to put the ball in a different place slightly, but I don't adjust my ball position very much and some believe it should move forward while others believe it should move back (I'm a fan of the latter).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Read the first four chapters of Bennet/Plummer. Stared at a lot of youtube. The first range session last week, I only did the 40 ball drill Today I tried to feel the lean left-stand up-turn shoulder move at the range.

I am very encouraged so far. I am only doing the first 3 segments, and don't think I have any upward motion yet on the hips, i.e., butt under torso. And the swing isn't that fluid yet. For me, it's the driver that tells me I am doing better. I got a new driver from Xmas that I couldn't hit all this year until I used the S/T. It's working for me now and going straight because of the flatter swing. Prior to that, I was coming in from the outside and hitting it left, and unable to correct that.

Indoor range, so you never know, but it's a good sign when the ball hits the center rear wall while still going up. Too often for me, they are coming down :)

I am not sure why but the S&T; worked for me right away...I mean I may not be doing it 100% correct (need to go to Golf Evolution) but the basic principles were in place right off the bat (as they say)...now maybe it is because I have always favored leaving my weight on my left side and fought a reverse pivot with the traditional swing but the S&T; just made sense to me first try. I have a firend would I convinved to buy the DVD (after he played with me and loved my ball striking) and after he watched the DVD he came to me and asked me if anyone around here teaches it because he doesn't get how to do it and wondered who taught me...he was very surprised to find out my first try was based on two pages of instruction from Golf Digest...anyway I was watching the Northern Trust this weekend and they showed Charile Wi hit a shot on a Par 3 and Frank Nobilo (sp?) said that Charile was still using the S&T; and went on to say that "too each his own and everyone should find a swing that works for them"...I thought that was a very poisitive thing to say and true...

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

What I am saying is t's tough to get your weight onto your left when your forced to put on your right with an uphill lie

With these type of shots i just focus on keeping pressure on the lead foot and tilting shoulders to the lie, or if its really steep just focus on keeping the shoulder COG still

I have always battled a steep swing. Its very hard for me to overcome this problem. Although I have played this way for my entire life. My divots are a greenskeeper's nightmare. I take deep divots on my irons from 7-SW. I have been practicing in my house with all the snow we're having. When I practice keeping my weight on the left side, it seems to give me more of a "sweep" down to impact.

Will the S&T; golf swing fundamentals help me if I get too steep on my downswing? I am very interested in this system.

G10 Driver Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 65 Stiff
G5 3-Wood Aldila NV65-Stiff
G15 20 Hybrid TFC stiff
I15 Irons 4-P
S/M Black Nickel 52 56 60 Marxman Mini 33" Tour B330 RXCarroll Valley Resort, Fairfield PA Rating: 72.3 Slope: 128www.carrollvalley.com

Hey guys,

I think I'm starting to figure this S&T; thing out, because I'm starting to hit good shots (finally), and, when I hit it well, it's a lot longer than before. My new problem is that, now I'm to the point of hitting one of two shots: a good hit, and a horribly thin shot. I'm sure that I'm doing the exact same wrong thing each time, because it's always the same mis-hit.

My question (again, I realize a video would help, but I don't have the time or adequate tech to do that, sorry): Does anyone know of a common S&T; problem that results in thin hits? I work really hard on the hip slide, so I don't think it's that my weight is too far back; I'm actually thinking that it may occur when my hips "outrace" my swing - therefore, my upper body is too angled. Thoughts?

Thanks very much for any ideas. I'm trying to figure this out, and with no S&T; instructors anywhere near my area, any tips will help immensely. Thanks.

The stuff in my bag (i.e. The clubs that I haven't tossed in the pond. Yet.):

Driver: G15
Fariway Woods: Fybrid 5
Irons: Big Bertha Fusion 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson 56 and 60Putter: IN Wack-e

Does anyone else really struggle to hit their driver with S&T;?

Before S&T; my driver was the most consistent part of my game. It was never really long (225-240) with a slight fade, but now it's terrible. 80% of my swings are over-fades. I love S&T; because I hit my irons more consistent and longer than before. But the driver is giving me fits!!!

Does anyone else really struggle to hit their driver with S&T;?

I'm no expert in S&T; so take this for what it's worth...but I had a similar experience...What I noticed is when you bring your hands in really deep and are at or below your trailing shoulder at the top if u don't make a full shoulder turn my arms basically bumped into my chest. I didn't notice this effect with my shorter clubs simply because the swing is shorter. My half ass conclusion is that the deep hands action needs to be done in conjunction with the turning the shoulders downward and also making a fairly full shoulder turn.

If your hands are more outside than what S&T; teaches it is much easier to make a full swing using a crappy shoulder turn as your arms are outside your shoulders...but if your hands are in line or below your trailing shoulder your arms have nowhere to go if you dont make a full shoulder turn. Another point that you need to be careful with is understanding that taking your hands deep is different from the club head. I won't even try to explain that one.

Additionally to #1 - the backswing is part side tilt, part turning the lead shoulder inward (feels like it is replacing the back shoulder) and part extension - be sure of enough relative shoulder turn and extension to go with the side tilt.

The most important thing with the driver is to move forward enough and extend enough (expand chest/tuck butt) to compensate for the forward ball position of the driver.

David Wedzik
Director of Instruction, Golf Evolution

LOWEST SCORE WINS! <- Check it out!!!