IGNORED

Is it okay to do the Happy Gilmore?

Note: This thread is 5258 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A golf buddy of mine did that swing once just fooling around and probably got the best drive he ever hit... Must have went at least 270, which was better than his normal drive by i say 50 or 60 yards lol.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

i had a swing coach that actually had me do this but not to the happy extreme...
it helped me get the feeling of powering thru the ball... i wont do it on regular play because ppl wont take you seriously especially the starters/marshalls
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

Haha, I knew someone would say that. No doubt I'll record it once I get some practice with it, so you guys can critique my happy swing, if that's even possible... :?

-your approach is a little fast

-work on a one piece takeaway during the second step -you're a little laid off at the top

Driver: taylormade.gif Tour Burner 9.5*
4 Wood: taylormade.gif200 Steel 16*
Irons: taylormade.gif Burner '09
Wedges: taylormade.gif RAC TP Satin 54*, 58*
Putter: odyssey.gif White Hot Tour #9  Ball: bridgestone.gif B330

If you can produce consistant results with it, then i guess that's fine. Though, if you are inaccurate to the point where you may put others in danger, i would draw the line there. I tried a happy gilmore a few times on the range and all i could do was snap hook it :(
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

It depends upon the course. If you are just playing some public muni course, have at it. If you are playing a course that is more uptight, dont even think about it.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

some of you guys are obviously a little too uptight to have fun on the course, but if you can do it consistently, forget what type of course you're on, you paid your money just like everyone else Go for it, have some fun, don't let tightass marshalls or anyone else ruin your round

In my TMX stand bag:

R580XD 10.5* Stiff
'07 Burner 5 Wood 18*
'09 Burner Rescue Hybrid #3 19* Stiff 3dx Ironwood #4 Stiff Idea Tech OS 5-PW Vokey SM 52*-08 CG11 SM 58*-08 White Hot XG #2 33.5"

i'm not saying dont have fun while playing...i'm just saying dont challenge the integrity of the game...this is a gentleman's game...lets keep it that way.

Exactly. And those people who say do it if you can do it consistently are just demonstrating their ignorance. No-one can do it consistently. Padraig proved that. Do it on a farm or somewhere. It's unacceptable on the range as well as the course.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

i'm not saying dont have fun while playing...i'm just saying dont challenge the integrity of the game...

That last bit is pure gold - in the spirit of the gentlemen who were the pioneers of this grand game, I've decided to take at least 2 mistresses and no more Happy Gilmores. It's the Woodsian way!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

That last bit is pure gold - in the spirit of the gentlemen who were the pioneers of this grand game, I've decided to take at least 2 mistresses and no more Happy Gilmores. It's the Woodsian way!!

Hey now, how does taking 2 mistresses apply to the game of golf??

Mr. Woods never made out with any mistresses on the course. Now, if you want to do the Gilmore off the course, that's up to you and totally fine.

In My Bag:

Driver: HiBore XLS 10.5º (Fujikara Fit-on M Gold R Flex)
3-Wood: HiBore XLS 15º (Fujikara Fit-on M Gold R Flex)
5-Wood: S2 Straightneck 19º (Fujikara Fit-On Max 65 FW Stiff)Irons: HiBore XLi 3-PW (Fujikara Fit-on M Red S Flex)Wedges: CG14 Chrome 56º SW/60º LWPutter: ...

I'd probably try it a few times if it was quiet out on the course.But on a normal day.. I dunno, you probably wouldn't want to attract that kind of attention to yourself, more hassle than it's worth.You'll probably get some of the older, more uptight members having a go at you for it.

Harrington, for instance got good at it, but he still says he'd never do it in competition.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

If you start hitting "Unhappy Gilmores" at mid round, make sure you can go back to your normal driver swing.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

there is a thing in golf called etiquette. Golf is a proper game. Dont ruin it people. Also you mentioned hitting it 280+ straight. if you cant hit 280+ straight with a normal swing, you wont be able to with a happy gilmore swing.

Wow you must be a blast to play a round with.. Back to the fun topic everyone tries the Happy Gilmore as for me I drive the ball great with my normal swing and when I try that I am horrible LOL but hey if it works for you have at it and enjoy the game I say!

IN MY BAG
Driver - Tour Burner 10.5*
3 Wood - SZ 15*
Irons - R9 4-AW kbs shafts, 19* Burner Rescue
Wedges - 2007 Tom Watson Lob 60* CG-15 56* Putter - White Hot XG #9Ball - Pro v119th Hole weapon of choiceBudLight:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGulkCG View Post i'm not saying dont have fun while playing...i'm just saying dont challenge the integrity of the game...this is a gentleman's game...lets keep it that way. That last bit is pure gold - in the spirit of the gentlemen who were the pioneers of this grand game, I've decided to take at least 2 mistresses and no more Happy Gilmores. It's the Woodsian way!! Hilarious!!
Hey now, how does taking 2 mistresses apply to the game of golf??

Tiger does throw his club and act like a baby!

IN MY BAG
3 Wood - SZ 15*
Wedges - 2007 Tom Watson Lob 60* CG-15 56* Putter - White Hot XG #9Ball - Pro v119th Hole weapon of choiceBudLight:

I never said you couldn't throw your clubs on the course, Markie.

In My Bag:

Driver: HiBore XLS 10.5º (Fujikara Fit-on M Gold R Flex)
3-Wood: HiBore XLS 15º (Fujikara Fit-on M Gold R Flex)
5-Wood: S2 Straightneck 19º (Fujikara Fit-On Max 65 FW Stiff)Irons: HiBore XLi 3-PW (Fujikara Fit-on M Red S Flex)Wedges: CG14 Chrome 56º SW/60º LWPutter: ...

I never said you couldn't throw your clubs on the course, Markie.

Good point LOL!

IN MY BAG
3 Wood - SZ 15*

Note: This thread is 5258 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!