IGNORED

Shorter swing

RIduffer
Note: This thread is 5237 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yep. Very hard for me to trust that a controlled swing is going to get the desired distance. But when I make a compact swing, I'm actually getting more distance due to better contact.

Good point. If you overswing going for extra distance, bad things happen: Your right hand takes over at the top, you lose your balance, etc.

Take a look at karate athletes. They make a smooth, modest backswing, and then explode through to the target. Once you get your tempo with a 3/4 swing, you get more efficient transfer of power - you don't bleed off power and distance because you're falling all over the place . And once you get your tempo, equipment adjustments in your driver and woods may help you pick up extra distance. Basically, having 200 foot-pounds of your pressure in your backswing doesn't get you any distance. A smooth, accelerating followthrough does.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Has anyone here improved their ballstriking by working on a shorter swing? My swing gets long and sloppy, so I'm thinking more 3/4 lately. In actuality I'm close to parallel, but it feels 3/4 to me. I definitely hit the ball more solid (and surprisingly longer) with this swing, but I'm struggling to get comfortable with a new tempo. That old waggle at the top became part of my rhythm I guess.

I was forced into shortening my swing when I separated my shoulder. It was the greatest thing that has happened to my swing. My ball striking has improved significantly, and the slice that I was struggling with due to an over the top move is virtually eliminated. Most importantly, I know how far I am going to hit it every time because I'm hitting the sweet spot much more consistently.

In mySasquatch bag:
07 Burner 9.5°
Hibore XLS 3 & 5 woods
735 CM 4-pw
52°, 56°, 60° G2i Craz-e C

For me if I do a shorter swing I don't close the clubface in time and I slice it.

For me it is right the opposite. If I find myself overswinging I find my wrist cups which leads to me slicing.

Check out this thread as well for a neat little gadget which tends to make people swing shorter....despite its name.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...
I have worked very hard at shortening my swing as well. Yes contact and distance has improve greatly. The swing length wasn't really the issue but it was my left wrist.It started a few years ago when I broke my wrist in a motorcycle accident. My left wrist tends to collapse and break back-wards. Then on my downswing, no matter how far inside I bring the club, the face is now open. I actually think of bowing my wrist down a bit as I'm going back and it naturally shortens the swing and keeps the club square.

One of the unintended consequences of "shortening" your swing is it can throw off your timing/tempo. My swing gets too long because my left wrist breaks down at the top. I am "shortening" my swing by making sure my left wrist doesn't break down at the top. Essentially the same swing, same tempo, better mechanics, better contact.

in the bag:
driver-titleist D2 10.5* w/aldila nv shaft
3-adams speedline fast 10 w/aldila shaft
hybrid-titleist 585 17* w/aldila shaft
irons-titleist 735cm w/ttdg s-300 shafts

wedges-cleveland 588, 53* and 60* w/ttdg shafts

putter-scotty circa 62 #1, gun metal finish

ball-pro v1

shoe-dryjoys

I have worked very hard at shortening my swing as well. Yes contact and distance has improve greatly. The swing length wasn't really the issue but it was my left wrist.It started a few years ago when I broke my wrist in a motorcycle accident. My left wrist tends to collapse and break back-wards. Then on my downswing, no matter how far inside I bring the club, the face is now open. I actually think of bowing my wrist down a bit as I'm going back and it naturally shortens the swing and keeps the club square.

I broke my wrist this spring and my swing suffered greatly. Still trying to get my swing back. I had some of the same problems that you had with the face staying open no matter what I tried.

Driver- SuperTri 9.5*
Wood- 906 F2 13*
Hybrids- Rescue TP 17*
Irons(4-PW)- R9 TP w/ KBS Tour
Wedge-ZTP 52* w/ KBS Tour Wedge-58* VokeyPutter- Studio Select New Port 2 Mid-SlantBall-TP Black/Red

Note: This thread is 5237 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!