IGNORED

Is it crazy to fly south in January for golf?

golfaddiction
Note: This thread is 4865 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As usual, the collective knowledge of this forum is amazing. I was planning on going to Dallas (my girlfriend has friends there that she wants to visit), but I might have to reconsider. The weather recently hasn't been good, and there seems to be a decent chance it won't be good in January. Then again, 45-50 degrees isn't terrible as long as it's sunny.

shoot man, you never know what the weather will be like here in dallas. you could get 62* and sunny with no wind, or you could get 31* with ice on the ground. i was planning on playing last week until it started snowing. but if you do come and need a partner or a course recommendation, send me a message. and no, nothing is too much to spend on golf. hell, there are plenty people who don't bat an eye at dropping 350 on a green fee. at least you're getting a mini-vacation for your money.

As much as we DON'T need any more visitors this time of year, I can't remain silent whilst a fellow golfer suffers.

I enjoy mostly sunny days with temps in the low-mid 60s this time of year (yea, I wear a jacket...) and have everything from the cheap(er) munis to the outrageous tourist-trap venues like my fav, Omni Tucson National. Last Sunday was the exception: high 50s and I actually wore long pants for the first time in I-can't-remember-when.

We are usually 5 degrees or so warmer than Phoenix/Scottsdale this time of year, and they get more rain up there. Not sure how much more it'd be to Tucson, AZ. Then there's Dove Mountain where they (PGA) hold the yearly match play in the spring, but I definitely can't afford that place

Miami would be warmer but I think we have better golf.

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I flew to Orlando from Indy on Sunday before Thanksgiving to spend a week with the family. My round trip flight on Air Tran was $170.00, that included picking the seat I wanted down and back, cost to check golf bag was $30.00 round trip ,I had a carry on bag with all my golf shirts and clothes in it, and the 2 rounds I played 1 at Royal St Cloud, the other at Kiossimee Golf course cost me $ 52.50 for both rounds. Granted I didn't have to rent a room or car but that was the best $252.50 I have spent on golf in a long time, because I neede the break from work. Now in Jan. in Florida the golf rates go way up for non-residents but but I belive you could find a good deal just about any where in Florida for 2-3 days with room and golf. I hope to get back down over the winter and would like to play at The World Golf Hall of Fame, and see the Hall of Fame also. Good Luck

Thomas " Hitman" Heitman

have you not seen the southwest airline commericals?? lol, "why should your bags pay to fly in the bottom of the plane, wher its dark and cold, no peanuts or nothin" haha your bags fly free.

That's what I was implying. I recently went on a golf trip to Las Vegas and while I could have gotten a cheaper flight I would have to pay a baggage fee for my clubs at the very least, more if I checked my personal bag and from what I have heard some airlines charge for oversized fees for golf clubs. I find it is always a good practice to find out what additional charges might apply.

Recently I have always carried my personal luggage, this trip I didn't and it was a much better experience for me, I just had my iphone for reading and entertainment. I didn't have to lug my bags into the bathroom and all around the airport. Given the choice now I will always check my bags unless I am carrying something irreplaceable or I am going someplace where I won't be able to replace the things I need. As to the O.p.'s question I don't think you have to play every second you are on your trip. I might be in the minority here but I find playing 36 holes in a day takes some of the fun out of the game. If you have a good round and feel good by all means play another but if you justify the trip by saying you will get to play 72 holes out of it and didn't play well it would not be as enjoyable as it could be if your expectations were just enjoy some nice weather and play a little golf in the middle of winter.

R9 with 757 Speeder
mp 57 3-pw project x 6.0 flighted
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

Florida is the place to go for the winter. Plenty of courses around Orlando and you should drive it's less than a day each way. Find a hotel in the center of a circle with the courses you want to play and go for it. Better if you have friends or relatives here and at crowded as it is getting now who doesn't?

It ain't bragging if you can do it.

Taylor Made Burner '09 8.5* UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno F-60 3 wood UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno MP-68 3-PW  S300, Bobby Jones Wedges S and L, Nike Ignite 001, Leupold GX-II

I am booking my Florida trip for January 5 nights 8 rounds of golf 730.00 for Hotel and golf.Airfare 99.00 each way figure 900.00 all told per person.We play all nice courses 18 then 36 36 36 18 then back home.Tampa side includes World Woods and lake Jovita good tracks.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

You are only crazy if you fly NORTH in January for golf.

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

Forget about Texas. Pump in some more cash and a week or so and come to Egypt. We have some fabulous courses around the country, and I don't need to talk about the weather. Last year we were having a Christmas Scramble match in late December, and the prizes for the first 3 places were big baskets of candy and chocolate. We were concerned the chocolate would melt in the sun by the time the prizes were awarded. Enough said.
My achievements:
Eagles: 0
Birdies: 18
Best Round: 89

Flying from NYC (La Guardia), and if you aren't deadset on going to Texas, then check out Spirit Airlines. They have a limited amount of places they go, but they fly up and down the east coast (all the way down to Florida – Tampa/Orlando/Miami – and Puerto Rico). I flew from NYC to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina for CHEAP once (sat behind Philip Seymour Hoffman too, hah). I just priced a flight on their site from NYC to Myrtle Beach over MLK Weekend in January, and round trip was on $138. South Carolina has some killer courses, and you might even be able to find a golf + room deal with some of the area golf resorts, especially in the winter.

Bag: Lightweight Stand Bag
Driver: G15 9º
Fairway: 909F2 15º
Hybrid: 909H 19º
Irons:  AP2 710Wedges: CG10 56º, Vokey SM 52º, 60ºPutter: Karsten Anser 34"

Flying from NYC (La Guardia), and if you aren't deadset on going to Texas, then check out Spirit Airlines. They have a limited amount of places they go, but they fly up and down the east coast (all the way down to Florida – Tampa/Orlando/Miami – and Puerto Rico). I flew from NYC to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina for CHEAP once (sat behind Philip Seymour Hoffman too, hah). I just priced a flight on their site from NYC to Myrtle Beach over MLK Weekend in January, and round trip was on $138.

if you go to Myrtle Beach you must play Caladonia...it is a rule of ours. We go every April and play lots of courses but EVERY trip includes a round at Caladonia. i would actually recomend you play it twice. The rebuy for 18 is a great deal and the lunch menu is good. other good ones to consider in the area (minutes away).

True Blue Heritage Founders

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

I would also second looking at Spirit Air if you're coming from NYC.

I think they also fly down to the Dominican Republic.

Myrtle is great, but the temperature can be surprisingly cold and frost delays can happen.

If you were hoping to play in shorts, go further South.

That being said, I really do like Myrtle Beach because of the quantity of good courses. And I don't mind playing in 40 degree weather (in NYC).

Now go forth and scratch that itch.

In My Bag:

Driver: Titleist 905T 10.5º
3-Wood: Titleist 904F 15º
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20ºIrons: 4-PW Mizuno MP-60GW: Mizuno MP T 51ºSW: Mizuno MP T 56ºLW: Mizuno MP T 60ºPutter: Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

I'd second the suggestion to check the low-cost carriers like Spirit and AirTran. There are a few that don't show up on expedia, orbitz, etc.

Also, as someone who has been in Myrtle Beach and Las Vegas in early March, I can attest that it's no fun to expect temps in the 70s and get them in the low 40s. I also just spent a week in Orlando and it barely broke 70 and was barely 40 at my 7 a.m. tee times. At that rate, might as well just wait until the cold breaks for a week in the Northeast and head to Atlantic City for 2 days where you can drive down and the courses will be in good shape.

It seems like there have to be better ways to spend $700 on golf. For that you can probably get a week in a Punta Cana all-inclusive with some sort of golf deal. There are some great airfare deals down there, too. But if it's just a quick trip, I'd agree with everyone, find someplace that's guaranteed to be warm, don't waste time on flights with connections, and make sure to book a round on the day you leave. You can replay that 18 the entire flight home.

Driver: Nike Covert Tour | 3W: Callaway X Hot Pro | Irons: Mizuno JPX-800 Pro X100 SS | Wedges: Vokey SM 54-08, Vokey Raw 60-12 | Putter (of the week): Arnold Palmer "The Original" 33"

I'd second the suggestion to check the low-cost carriers like Spirit and AirTran. There are a few that don't show up on expedia, orbitz, etc.

Awesome - There are tickets for $59 dollars each way in January from NY to Ft. Lauderdale. And I'm sure my grandmother will gladly put me up for a few nights

Awesome. You might even be able to bum a ride to the course and save some dough on the rental car. Plus, you can feel like you're 14 again, waiting by the bag drop for Grandma to come pick you up! Haha, I just had this happen on my last trip. Definitely weird to call my mom for a ride back to the hotel!

My last few vacations, instead of deciding where I wanted to go, I started by figuring out the cheapest flights first. Especially for golf, hell, you can land anywhere and find enough golf to entertain you for a couple days.

Driver: Nike Covert Tour | 3W: Callaway X Hot Pro | Irons: Mizuno JPX-800 Pro X100 SS | Wedges: Vokey SM 54-08, Vokey Raw 60-12 | Putter (of the week): Arnold Palmer "The Original" 33"

• 1 year later...

This thread is a bit old but didn't want to start another one. NEED real advice from those in the know.

My trip to South Carolina was postponed a few days due to the snow storm. Here is the issue, I was going to drive but now that it was postponed it got me thinking about the trip more. I have never flown with clubs before and therefore do not own a carrying case. So here is a multi part question for you guys. Any help or advice is much appreciated. Thanks

I was able to find airfare for under $220 including bag/clubs.

It is less than 2 hr flight

Need to get a car to take to and from airport around $120 most likely.

No transportation needed to or from airport in SC

No room needed my father lives 10 minutes from Myrtle Beach airport

If I drive it would take over 13 hours

Gas would cost roughly $180 round trip

Oil change $40

Tolls $100 round trip just a guess. Used to live in Wilmington NC and have not done this trip in about 10 years.

BACK PAIN from the drive guaranteed

Okay so there are the basics my questions are this. 1. Should I fly or drive? 2. What is a decent but NOT too expensive golf club carrying case 3. Do your clubs get damaged? 4. Just to be greedy on this thread what are some decent courses to play in and around Myrtle Beach. My father has not played in over 10 years and just wants to because I do. So he will only golf with me 1 or 2 times. I would like to go at least 3 times while down there at a fairly intermediate course(s). Thanks

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Originally Posted by golfaddiction

I haven't played in a month and I'm dreading the 4 months before it gets warm enough in NY to play again. I priced out a 2 day, 3 night trip to Texas in January:

$230 airfare

$200 for 3 nights in a hotel

$100 car rental

$70 travel case for my clubs (I had wanted one of these anyway)

$100 for 2 greens fees

Is $700 too much to spend for 2 days of golf? Is there any way I can do this cheaper? This wouldn't replace my spring/summer trip I usually do with my friends, but that trip is about 50/50 golf/vacation with friends, whereas this is 100% golf.

As a suggestion, if you are willing to go to Florida take a look at Orange County National.  Their package rates include lodging at the course and golf .

http://www.ocngolf.com/index.php/rates-4

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Note: This thread is 4865 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!